Author Topic: ALLIN family IFFLEY  (Read 3760 times)

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Victor is very ill, this account will close soon.
    • View Profile
Re: ALLIN family IFFLEY
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 13:29 BST (UK) »
Iffley Marriages

March 18th, 1797
SLATTER Richard, bachelor of St Martin, Oxford
ALLIN Mary, spinster of this parish
Witnesses: Elizabeth SLATTER, Ann ALLIN, John BROWN, by licence

October 10th, 1802
HEATH William Read, bachelor of this parish
ALLIN Elizabeth, spinster of this parish
Witnesses: Richard ALLIN, Ann ALLIN, by licence

January 1st, 1811
HEATH James, of Ewelm
ALLIN Sarah, of Littlemore
Witnesses: John HEATH, Alin HEATH, A.ALLIN, by licence

May 10th, 1831
SLATER Henry, of St Rumbolds, Colchester, Essex
ALLIN Ann Elizabeth, of this parish
Witnesses: John STACY, Richard ALLIN jnr, by licence

July 20th, 1836
THOMPSON William, widower of St Peter in the East, Oxford
ALLIN Ella, spinster of this parish
Witnesses: Richard ALLIN jnr, Martin THOMPSON, Elizabeth THOMPSON, Catherine THOMPSON, Georgina Eaton THOMPSON, by licence

Victor
HARVEY, Guiting Power, Glos                     
PORTER, Gunmakers of Whitechapel
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 14:52 BST (UK) »
Hi Hissey,
Still no response to my post of 25th September? Do you still require lookups?
Victor
ALLEN - Blockley, BOWLES - Notgrove, BURROWS - Sevenhampton, COOK - Notgrove, DRINKWATER-LUNN - Aston Cross, FARDON - Temple Guiting, FAULKNER - Cheltenham, GADEN, GAYDEN, GAYDON, GRINHAM - Cheltenham, HART - Stow-on-the-Wold, LANE - Staverton, MOABY - Coln St Aldwyns, STAITE - Temple Guiting, TIMBRELL - Winchcombe, TYSOE - Warks & Glos, WHITFORD - Stanway, WINTLE - Forest of Dean, WYNNIATT - Stanway

Offline Victor Harvey

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 23 October 12 13:51 BST (UK) »
Hi Hissey,
I feel you should have at least responded to the data lookup I posted almost a month ago, plus my offer of further lookups.
I now consider your post completed and will not be bothered to assist you any further.
Victor

Offline Hissey

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Sunday 28 July 13 18:22 BST (UK) »
Many, many apologies for not having replied to your posts, and thank you so much for your help.  Family circumstances meant I took my eye off the ball for a while and your posts, along with other things, got lost; for some reason the reply notifications were not arriving in my inbox either.  Again, please accept my apologies.

Offline CarolA3

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • My adopted home
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Thursday 01 August 13 16:04 BST (UK) »
It's ok Hissey, most of us understand that 'real' life sometimes has to take precedence.  (I haven't been on here recently either, because of other priorities - good ones! - in my personal life.)

Anyway, it's good to hear from you and your comments are greatly appreciated.

All the best,
Carol
OXFORDSHIRE / BERKSHIRE
Bullock, Cooper, Boler/Bowler, Wright, Robinson, Lee, Prior, Trinder, Newman, Walklin, Louch

Offline Trevor Hadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 11:40 BST (UK) »
Going back to the first post, Mary Allin, 1711, married John Hissey (V) in Magdalen College 19 Feb 1739. They had 3 sons (John (VI), Richard and Jonathon whilst at Longworth and a daughter Elizabeth, born in Beenham. It is Elizabeth who connects with my family via the Lovelocks, but I would be interested to know why they went to Beenham as the seem to have returned to Lonngworth (and Mary subsequently back to Iffley)

Offline Hissey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 15:43 BST (UK) »
Trevor,

Yes I have the marriage of John and Mary Allin in 1739, with the three sons you mention at Longworth.  However, although I have a daughter Elizabeth Hissey for the family she was born on 26th May 1752 and baptised on 11 Jun 1752 at Longworth, not Beenham.  The entry in the family bible (in my possession) for her birth reads:
"On Tuesday the 26 day of May 1752 between eleven and twelve a clock at night Elizabeth Hissey was born."

The Beenham Hisseys were another branch of the family i think you will find - there are several John Hisseys who married Marys so it does get confusing.  Happy to help you sort it out if you like.

Offline Trevor Hadley

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 18:14 BST (UK) »
Thanks yours. Yes, indeed, I would need some guidance - I don't think I have seen the Hissey's in Beenham, or, if I have, I have been confused. Just to clarify, I am tracking my Mother's maternal line - the Bancrofts - who married into the Lovelocks in Beenham. I have wondered why/how my humble lot got mixed up with the rather grand Hisseys!

Offline Hissey

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 14 April 21 20:13 BST (UK) »
Trevor,

The marriage between James Lovelock and Elizabeth Hissey took place in Beenham in 1791.  I assume that you have traced your ancestry back to this couple, but if not confirmed let me know.  It would seem unlikely that this is the same Elizabeth Hissey who was born and baptised in Longworth in 1752, as she would have been nearly 40 years old at the time, old for a first marriage and children.  Longworth is about 30 miles from Beenham.

It is perhaps more likely that she was from a Beenham Hissey family - for example the family of William Hissey/Hizzy and Mary who were having children baptised at Beenham 1768-1775.  To check for clues I would firstly look at the original marriage entry in the parish registers at Beenham to see whether the parish register listed which parish Elizabeth was from.  Also check to see who the witnesses to the marriage were, if listed.  If, for example, William (though see a possible burial below), his wife Mary, or one of his other children was a witness then you can probably assume that he was Elizabeth's father.  If it listed Elizabeth as resident in a different parish then you could check records in that parish for any baptism.

You could also check for the burial of William Hissey in Beenham (probably the William buried there in 1790 - see FamilySearch), then cross reference with will records to see if William left a will, perhaps naming his daughter Elizabeth - a quick check on the Berkshire Wills Index https://www.berkshirerecordoffice.org.uk/wills-index?full_name=Hissey does not list any will for him though, nor is there anything among the PCC wills on Ancestry.  Also check for any other Hissey wills in the area, though again there is nothing obvious on the wills index (remember to check for surname variants such as Hyzzy, Hizzy etc).

Sometimes the baptism of a child was missed from the register for some reason, or the register might have been poorly kept.  Sometimes children were not baptised at all.  You may need to use some lateral thinking to try to fit the Hissey family together.

You could contact Berkshire record office for a copy of the marriage register, or you could visit a FamilySearch Family History Centre, of which there are a good number across the country (see https://www.familysearch.org/help/fhcenters/locations/) - at the Family History Centre you could view a copy of the register through their digital access to the records. 

It is always best to try to view the originals of parish register entries, rather than rely on the information included in indexes and transcriptions, as the original will often include extra clues.  Whilst Ancestry hints can be helpful they need to be treated with care as they may lead you in the wrong direction.  Please excuse me if you know all this already!

Good luck, and feel free to come back to me for further help if you need it.