Author Topic: Petty Invernesshire David Ross  (Read 2736 times)

Offline kareny

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Petty Invernesshire David Ross
« on: Monday 24 September 12 11:20 BST (UK) »
Hi roots Chat.

I am looking for help tracing my ancestor David Ross, born in Petty about 1824. His father was John Ross a farmer. I would like to know who his mother was and any siblings he might have had. He had a sister called lilias ( Fraser) Ross. Also how large would Petty have been then. hope someone can hlp.

Many Thanks
kareny
Family names Ross, Bytheway,Yardley,Ashbrook, Latham.
Royal Marine Artillery, Royal Marine Bandmasters Portsmouth,
Shropshire, Hampshire & Scotland

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Petty Invernesshire David Ross
« Reply #1 on: Monday 24 September 12 16:35 BST (UK) »
I have had a look on the census returns but it seems that the family unit had broken up by 1841. There are three John Ross marriages on family search, all to 3 different Margaret's between 1811 & 1819. In 1841 there is a John Ross "Crofter" born 1771 & Margaret 1786. Address Muir, Petty. Not there in 1851.

The problem with the surname is that it is often transcribed as ROSE.
The only David Ross on the 1851 census who was born Inverness 1823, was a Tailor in Edinburgh, his wife was Elizabeth, son Peter born Inverness 1847.

If you google, Petty Inverness there is some historical information. You can also look at this for info. http://stat-acc-scot.edina.ac.uk/sas/sas.asp?action=public&passback=

Regards

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline kareny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 24 September 12 17:18 BST (UK) »
Hi colin

Thanks for the info. I used the link you sent me and have read about Petty. Very interesting.
A bit stumped about where to go next with David Ross and his father John. Any suggestions
as I am really a beginner.

Best wishes
Kareny

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 24 September 12 18:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Kareny

Did he die in Scotland? If 1855 or after death cert usually has parents names tho is only as accurate as info given by the informant but if it's there worth checking out. Also if he married 1855 or later parents details should be on marriage cert. Before that on the OPRs sometimes you can get lucky but most don't have parents names. Worth checking tho.

Always worth looking at family search first but if the records exist they will be on Scotland's People which is pay per view.

Ann :)
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline kareny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 24 September 12 18:45 BST (UK) »
Hi Ann. Thanks for your response.Unfortunately David enlisted 1847 and moved to Portsea where .he married and died in 1866. He was a serent in the Royal Marines.His wife was Harriet Bytheway.
Many thanks for your help.Ps His service records Adm 157 I understand are missing.
Kareny

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 September 12 10:03 BST (UK) »
Hi Kareny
I have checked on Scotlands People & Family Search but no records for David 1824 or Lilias 1838.

How sure are you of the connection to Petty?
I guess you know the father of David from his marriage in 1856?

On family search there is the family of John Ross & Margaret Cameron in Petty, their children were born between 1820 & 1838 but not a David or Lilias.

Colin
Clarke, Trickett, Orton, Lawless, Norton, Detheridge, Kirby, Goodfellow, Wagstaff, Lowe, etc.

Offline kareny

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 27 September 12 12:16 BST (UK) »
Hi Colin.

Thanks for your response. David Ross joined the Royal marine Artillery, he enlisted in 1847 in Glasgow and died at home in Portsea 1866. This was recorded in his service records. His birth was recorded as Petty (Pettie) Invernesshire. i think it is the 1851 census that reords him and his wife living with his sister lilias. I understand his full service records are missing from ADM 157 ? lost or misfiled. I would be grateful for any suggestions.

Many Thanks
Karen

Offline ColC

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 27 September 12 13:23 BST (UK) »
Hi Karen,
I'm not sure from your post if you obtained David's marriage cert?
If not that may give additional information.

Regards

Colin