Author Topic: Armstrong from Crosscanonby  (Read 1578 times)

Offline vicarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Armstrong from Crosscanonby
« on: Thursday 27 September 12 14:42 BST (UK) »
Hello, I've just started researching my family tree. Details so far are:

My grandfather was: Lonsdale Armstrong, 1884-1958, Harrington, Workington

Great grandfather: Jonathan Armstrong, 1834-1907, Camerton

Great great grandfather: John Armstrong, 1803-1854, Camerton

Great great great grandfather: Andrew Armstrong, 1773-1829, Bridekirk

If anyone is researching the same tree or willing to help me go back further, I would be VERY grateful!

Many thanks,

Vic ;D

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Armstrong from Crosscanonby
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 27 September 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
There are seven trees on Ancestry.com with Lonsdale Armstrong but I think you will need a subscription to see them.

Also one on http://wc.rootsweb.ancestry.com which is free but not very extensive.

Two people on http://www.GenesReunited.co.uk have his name listed. This will also need a subscription but is fairly cheap.

David

Offline Artkane

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 12 15:05 BST (UK) »
Hi

Ancestry have a new site now Mundia. You can register for free and it seems that you can view all the Ancestry trees from this new site. Your grandfather Lonsdale is on a number of trees as previously stated.

www.mundia.com/gb/

Offline Humphpaul

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 22 October 12 21:13 BST (UK) »

On 16th. Feb. 1805 a William Armstrong, hairdresser of Maryport was the guarantor of the licence to marry of Thomas Baylis, mariner of Maryport and Margaret Wright of Bowscales in parish of Bromfield.

I do not know if Wm. A was related to bride or groom or how he came to be involved.

I think the marriage was by licence because being a mariner Thomas was not at home long.

Margaret was born about 1788 but I do not have a certain date for Thomas.

Does William A. ring any bells with your family. Thanks, Humphpaul
Paul, Humphrey, Vaughan, Lewis, Williams, Parry, Jones, Fairclough, Howard, Allan, Baylis, Wright, Ritson.
Barmouth, Llangellinin, Liverpool, Maryport Cumberland, Port Glasgow, Nercwys (Nerquis), Mold, Gwysaney, Hope, Doddleston, Higher Kinnerton.

Offline horse000

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Ironbridge from the bridge
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 28 October 12 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi Vic and welcome

I note you have his death as 1829, a popular BI has this:
24 Mar 1829 Andrew Armstrong aged 56, Raughton Head, All saints, bur.
That would indeed give a birth date of c1773. The Anc. trees mentioned have varying birth dates from 1763, though they are not validated.

I can't find his bap. in the Dalston or Bridekirk PR's, but his marriage is in the Dalston PR's:
4 April 1801 Andrew Armstrong, Cross Canonby & Isabella Sanderson, banns, mar. Isabella's bap not in PR's either.

There are 5 Isabella Sanderson baptisms between 1760 - 1785 on the IGI (CC) that maybe worth looking at: https://familysearch.org/search/collection/igi

Geoff
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline vicarmstrong

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 12 14:50 GMT (UK) »
Hi Geoff
Many thanks for your e-mail and gen on Andrew,I never realized all the twists and turns,Andrew passed away in 1829.and Isabella in 1848,both living in the Dalston area.I have been trying to find Andrews father with very little success,his fathers not mentioned on the marriage certificate.
I will try the web sites you have mentioned Geoff,sorry about the delay in responding to you,I have been having problems,with my supplier unable to go onto the net.

vic