Author Topic: Accuracy of Boyd's marriage index - Littlewood marriage, 1736  (Read 12561 times)

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Accuracy of Boyd's marriage index - Littlewood marriage, 1736
« Reply #9 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 09:39 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen

The will of Thomas Newcomb senior is very interesting. Thank you for putting it online. :)

I have baptisms in Tolleshunt Knights for Thomas Newcomb junior and Sarah as follows: Mary 1741, Sarah 1743, Thomas 1748, Thomas, 1750, Rebecca 1752. Seems I'm missing a son Joseph. I have no burials or marriages for this parish.

It looks as if Thomas junior died very early as his widow was already married by the time the will was written in 1759. I wonder if she had more children by her new husband?

Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.
Littlewood, Bacon, Oxley and Fairbrother in North East Essex.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy,

Ahhhh!!! That explains it! Thanks for sharing those Tolleshunt Knights Newcombs! I've been looking for Sarah ____/Newcomb/Thompson. There is a Sarah married to John Thompson baptising their son Thomas on 04 Feb 1749/50 Tendring - I wondered if that was her, but obviously not if they were in Tolleshunt Knights at the time, going on those other baptisms. I will keep looking - there's a marriage for Sarah somewhere (and possibly 1754 onwards, which makes life easier).

I went through my transcriptions for St Osyth and can't find any Dunkin (or variants) baptisms or burials or further marriages. I'm starting to transcribe Great Oakley and Thorpe-le-Soken now so you never know...!

My connection to them is:

Nathaniel Littlewood & Mary Townsend
Nathaniel Littlewood & Mary Newcomb
John Pattrick & Mary Littlewood
John Mills Nicholls & Elizabeth Pattrick
Henry James Field & Jane Elizabeth Nicholls
Henry William Field & Sarah Eliza Savage (my 2 x great-grandparents)

I'll edit my tree to add the Tolleshunt Knights people.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 10:31 BST (UK) »
Interesting... there's a will at ERO for one Joseph Newcome of Tolleshunt Knights, 11th Oct 1824.

Oh hang on.... just checked the baptisms, and the Newcomb baptisms in 1750 is for Joseph, rather than Thomas! SOLVED! Sort of... because he's not in the burial register for Tolleshunt Knights.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Tuesday 02 October 12 10:33 BST (UK) »
Ahhhh.... so it means that the Tendring marriage for Thomas Newcomb and Sarah Bacon in 1739 is for Thomas (born 1717) whose daughter became a Littlewood! YAY! The scales have fallen from eyes.

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #13 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 00:02 BST (UK) »
Hello Helen

The Newcomb information, along with the early Littlewood information came from another researcher. I have to admit to not seeing any of it in the original registers so thank you very much for sorting out 1750 Joseph Newcomb. :)

I don't know what happened to the children of the Tolleshunt family, except Mary, but the 1824 will you found for a Joseph Newcomb of Tolleshunt Knights may well possibly be the one above.

If it helps Sarah Bacon is mentioned in the research notes as the wife of Thomas Newcomb (junior) though there is no mention of where the marriage took place but as have you found it was Tendring!

I have just been looking at what I have for Thomas Newcomb (senior). He also had a wife called Sarah but I have no marriage and have checked online but nothing has turned up. She is not mentioned in the will so I guess Thomas (senior) was by that time a widower.

Now in the research notes I have the following children are mentioned for this Thomas and Sarah: Thomas 1716, John 1718, Joseph 1722, Samuel 1724, Mary 1725, William 1729, Rebecca 1730 and William 1732.

Out of these only Thomas (deceased), Joseph, Samuel and William are mentioned in the will so I guess the others may well have passed on.

There is also in the will another child, Sarah, who is totally new to me!

From the surname of her two daughters, Sarah and Rebecca, who are mentioned in the will, their mother Sarah appears to have married an Allen, been widowed, and then married a Gill.

I think I have found the marriage in Tendring for Sarah to a James Allen in 1743. There seems to be three children for them also in Tendring: John 1745, Sarah 1746, William 1748 but no sign of a child Rebecca and no Sarah Allen to Gill marriage.

I have just noticed a Joseph Newcomb, blacksmith, marriage that took place in 1760 in Tendring. Do you think that could be the 1722 Joseph Newcomb?
Gilding, Eagle, Perry, Wright, Twite, Cooper, Gibson and Ramm in West & Central Norfolk.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #14 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Poppy,

I've finished transcribing Tendring 1683-1837 (marriages) -1854 (baptisms) -1873 (burials) for freeREG so I'm able to answer your questions!

Firstly, the children of Thomas Newcomb senr and Sarah:

The daughter Sarah mentioned in Thomas' will - she married James Allen in Tendring 20 Jun 1743 by licence. I got a copy of the licence, which included their marital statuses (James was a widow, Sarah a spinster) and their ages (James was abt 44, Sarah abt 28) and mentioned that Sarah was Thomas' daughter. It looks like Sarah was James' third wife. She and James had seven children (Thomas 1744, John 1745-8, Sarah 1746-1819 (she married Ralph Bull in Great Oakley in 1764 and lived at Great Oakley Hall - he was a farmer), William 1748-1748, William 1749, Rebecca 1750, Hannah 1752). The Allen family had moved to Great Oakley from Tendring by 1749, and James was buried there 5th Jun 1751. I can't find a will for him.

Sarah then married Moses Gill on 16 Jul 1754 (I've started transcribing Thorpe-le-Soken and the marriage of a Moses Gill there in the late 1600s says that he's French, so I'm assuming Sarah's second husband with the same name is a relative and was a Huguenot). Hence why she's Sarah Gill on her father's will written in 1759. Moses died in 1768 and in his will he mentions the daughter he had with Sarah - Mary Gill. As far as I remember, Moses owned Great Oakley Hall and Sarah inherited it, then left it to her son Thomas (b. 1744). He died unmarried in 1777 and left the Hall to his sister, Sarah, who had married Ralph Bull.

Sarah left a will as well (I have these at home and will transcribe them) and died on 20 Sep 1775 in Great Oakley.

From all this, I think that Sarah was born about 1715 (going on her age provided on her marriage licence) which would make her older than Thomas jnr (who was the first of Thomas snr & Sarah senr's children baptised in Tendring) so I would imagine that she was born outside Tendring, before the Newcombs moved there. Where that was though, currently remains a mystery!

There's a lot less information about the other children of Thomas & Sarah senior and because the burial register for Tendring only gives names and no relatives or ages it's a bit of a puzzle, but by comparing those to Thomas senior's will, I think I may have just about got it straight!

So after Sarah Newcomb/Allen/Gill b abt 1715, we have:

Thomas jnr 1717-? (sometime between 1751 and 1759), married Sarah Bacon, children born in Tolleshunt Knights etc.

John, baptised 4 Jan 1719. Can't see a marriage for him in Tendring, he's not mentioned in his father's will and there's a burial in Tendring 17 Oct 1741 which I suspect is him.

Joseph, baptised 25 Dec 1722. I think he married Anne Kirkham 23 Oct 1760. His occupation is in the register, given as blacksmith. 26 Feb 1763 he takes Thomas Newcomb as his apprentice - I think this is his nephew, Thomas Newcomb the 3rd, mentioned in his grandfather's will as he's left money for him to be apprenticed (Thomas 3rd would have been about 15 at the time, which sounds about right). There's a burial in Tendring in April 1812 for Joseph Newcomb senr aged 85 - I think this is Joseph with the age slightly wrong (he had two children, a Joseph (married Hannah Squirrel and had 10 children) and an Anne).

Samuel, baptised 21 Aug 1724. There's a burial in Tendring 24 Sep 1724 for "Samuel Newcomb, an infant". I can't find a baptism for the Samuel mentioned in Thomas' will, though.

Mary, baptised 15 Sep 1725 (dob given: 16 Jul 1725). Presumably the same Mary Newcomb buried in Tendring 20 Sep 1732.

William, baptised 12 Jan 1729. There's a burial in Tendring for William Newcomb, infant 28 Feb 1729.

Rebecca, baptised 17 Jun 1730, presumably the same Rebecca buried in Tendring, 22 May 1737.

William, baptised 9 Apr 1732. I assume he's the William from the will. I can't find a marriage for him in Tendring, and there's a William Newcomb buried in Tendring 4 Jun 1769, which I assume is him.

And that's that!

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #15 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:10 BST (UK) »
It looks like other people have been researching the Newcombs in Tolleshunt Knights late 1700s/early-mid 1800s. I'll have a snoop around.

Offline helvissa

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #16 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:26 BST (UK) »
Interesting... there's a will at ERO for one Joseph Newcome of Tolleshunt Knights, 11th Oct 1824.

Oh hang on.... just checked the baptisms, and the Newcomb baptisms in 1750 is for Joseph, rather than Thomas! SOLVED! Sort of... because he's not in the burial register for Tolleshunt Knights.

Ah-ha! Burial in Tolleshunt Knights, 14 Oct 1821 for Joseph Newcome, aged 71. So this is Thomas 2nd's son! I've looked through the T. Knights burials from 1813 to 1755 and found several Newcombs:

02 Mar 1827, Mary Ann Newcome, 69
28 Sep 1828, Elizabeth Newcomb, 8
26 Nov 1828, Sarah Newcomb, 10 months
30 May 1830, Mary Newcomb, 17
24 Dec 1843, John Newcomb, 57
_ Nov 1850, William Newcomb, ___ (page rather damaged)
28 ___ 1854, William Newcomb, infant
02 Jul 1854, Jesse Newcomb, 3

Offline Poppy Rose

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #17 on: Wednesday 03 October 12 10:32 BST (UK) »
This is all getting very interesting Helen. Thank you so much. :)