Author Topic: John Mortimer, actor comedian  (Read 4025 times)

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
John Mortimer, actor comedian
« on: Friday 28 September 12 16:51 BST (UK) »
On the 1881 census residing at 7 Alpine Street, Bashford, Nottingham was John Mortimer, listed as boarder, widower, age 39, occupation actor comedian, born Derby, England.  Can someone please do a look-up on the earlier census for him. 

Thanks Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: John Mortimer, actor comedian
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 September 12 17:26 BST (UK) »
Moors St Worcester
John Mortimere boarder U 21 Leading tragedian Ironville Derbys
one of 3 boarder (with theatrical connections) in household of George Wilkins age 30
RG9 2091 44 20

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 September 12 20:20 BST (UK) »
Hi Suz
Thanks for the info, I would like to find more on John Mortimer's career, any suggestions?
Roy
anything and everything to do with the village of Brithdir, near New Tredegar in Gwent.

Offline meg1920

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 08 July 13 19:07 BST (UK) »
Hello
Very interested to find this thread as I have connections in Brithdir and to John Mortimer.  From my research I believe this to be his stage name as he was born as Peter Bown[e] Trott
meg

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 08 July 13 22:10 BST (UK) »
Hello Meg
Can you expand on your connections in Brithdir etc; over the past several years I have researched almost everthing and everyone with a connection to the village and to that end I have created a database on Brithdir that grows by the day.
Roy

Offline meg1920

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 July 13 23:58 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy
My connection to John Mortimer's family and Brithdir is through the surname Gerrish. Hoping that this is in your database.  From memory the address of New Bristol Terrace features in census etc. The only census I cannot find John Mortimer on is the 1871.
meg

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 12:54 BST (UK) »
Hello Meg
I have only had time for a quick look through the database as I am looking after my grandson who is ill at the moment so giving him all my attention.  It would appear we have gone down the same path with reference to John Mortimer.  I have his details on the 1901 census at 7 Bristol Terrace, Brithdir plus his wife Annie, 2 sons and 5 daughters.  I also have him on the 1891, 1881 and 1861 but not on the 1871. 

With regards to the name Gerrish; William Gerrish born about 1886 in St Thomas, Swansea came to Brithdir in about 1908/9 and took up residence in 1 New Bristol Terrace, with wife Edith Victoria who presented him with a son named William John born shortly after their arrival.  Sometime later a Frank Gerrish born about 1893 in Treherbert, Glamorgan was a boarder in the household.  There is no indication on the census form that William and Frank were related.  However I note on FreeBMD the only two Gerrish marriages registered in Merthyr Tydfil district was:- Marriages Dec 1907 William  GERRISH & Edith Victoria M TROTT and  Marriages Dec 1911 Frank Gerrish & Eva M Trott.  I assume you will already have these details but somewhere in the back of my mind I know I have come across the name Gerrish other than the census returns.  I have two scrap books full of 50 years worth of newspaper articles on Brithdir and Brithdir people and I will look through these shortly, if I come across any refence to the name will post a scanned image on to you.  I have not made the connection between the names Mortimer and Gerrish so if you can give me any details I will look further.

Regards for now, Roy

Offline meg1920

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 14:20 BST (UK) »
Hello Roy

Thanks for your prompt reply - do hope your grandson will soon be feeling a lot better.

William and Frank Gerrish are brothers - they married two sisters- they are the daughters of John Mortimer  - their birth registrations are under his real name - Peter Bown[e] Trott - Edith Victoria Mortimer Trott and Eva Mary Mortimer Trott. That is the Mortimer connection to Gerrish.

Both couples had quite a few children and mmn [after 1911] is either Trott or Mortimer.  Not completely confirmed but on the whole one couple used Mortimer and the other Trott for mmn.

Am really hoping you can find something in your scrapbooks!

Hope all of the above makes sense.

Regards
meg

Offline Dannemois

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 09 July 13 16:12 BST (UK) »
Again a quick look through the scrap books: nothing specific other than:
1932 William Supt of St Paul’s Church Sunday School . 
1933 William bearer at the funeral of Mrs Alf Turner, Charles St, Brithdir
1934 William, chairman of the Brithdir Knibbs Outing Club
Frank & Mrs W Gerrish and Mrs Frank Gerrish helped out at various functions 

I will keep looking