Author Topic: Eliza DAWSON b.1813 - Baptism record***COMPLETED THANKS***  (Read 2897 times)

Offline BegClonrode ....

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Eliza DAWSON b.1813 - Baptism record***COMPLETED THANKS***
« on: Friday 05 October 12 08:14 BST (UK) »
Hi all...

Is there much chance of finding a baptism record for Eliza DAWSON born c.1813 in Lisburn, County Antrim.

She was the daughter of William DAWSON, a builder and Unknown WALLACE.

In 1829 at age 16 she married Thomas HORNE in Dublin. If the following link works, this is their marriage record....
http://churchrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/details/735cc10543671

They migrated to Australia and eventually New Zealand where William died in 1870 and Eliza in 1879.

I'm hoping to trace William through his connection to the 57th Regiment but even after looking through Antrim Resources I have no real idea as to tracing Eliza's family.

Any advice appreciated.

Regards
Beg

Offline Elwyn Soutter

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza DAWSON b.1813 - Baptism record?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 12 08:59 BST (UK) »
1813 is long before the start of statutory birth registration. You might find her baptism if you know what exact denomination she was.

The parish that contains Lisburn is called Blaris. Both the 1st Presbyterian church and Church of Ireland have records there going back to the 1600s, copies of which are held in PRONI (the Public Record Office) in Belfast.  You can see details on the PRONI website. The records themselves are not on-line and so if you cannot get to PRONI, you may need a researcher.

See here
Elwyn

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 12 11:34 BST (UK) »
Are you sure that the Eliza Dawson married in Dublin was born c1813 in Lisburn? The reason I ask is that Lisburn is not that close to Dublin.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline BegClonrode ....

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 06 October 12 00:25 BST (UK) »
Hi again...

Thanks for the replies :-)

I'm using information from the 1879 NZ death certificate for Eliza. The certificate says she was born in Lisburn but married in Dublin at age 16. It also gave the full name of her father but not of her mother.

Eliza had seven children alive at the time of her death so I'm assuming one of them supplied the information, even though the death certificate credits the undertaker as the actual informant.

The marriage was CoI so I'm assuming that was her religion. Thanks for the Lisburn parish name. Will look for the relevant baptism microfilm on the PRONI website. I do have my PRONI card but I don't think I'll be back in NI until next summer so that's a bit of a nuisance.

I know Lisburn well as I've flown into Aldergrove many times en route to Newcastle. Never trusted myself to find a Lisburn bypass route so have spent many a happy hour in a Lisburn traffic jam :-)

Thanks again
Beg

Offline sahorne

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza DAWSON b.1813 - Baptism record***COMPLETED THANKS***
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 12 May 15 08:17 BST (UK) »
Hi BegClonrode... I have just discovered a new generation to my family tree, Thomas Horne and Eliza Dawson, I am a direct descendant, and was wondering what you have found so far. I did find that Eliza's father is William and her mother is surname Wallace.  I dont have much more than that, I would love to find more on them. I have only found 5 children for Eliza and Thomas. would be grateful for any information. thanks.

Offline Peter Ashford

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
Re: Eliza DAWSON b.1813 - Baptism record***COMPLETED THANKS***
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 12 September 21 08:56 BST (UK) »
Thank you for putting this up. Eliza Jane Dawson Is my Great-Great Grandmother through her marriage with Thomas Horne. I would love to find out who her parents are but am struggling, also more about my Great-Great Grandfather.