Author Topic: FTM 2012 and Ancestry  (Read 1285 times)

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
FTM 2012 and Ancestry
« on: Friday 05 October 12 14:51 BST (UK) »
I have just let my Ancestry subscription lapse (yesterday) but I'll probably rejoin when FTM2013 comes out.

I have been making some changes to my online tree and then syncing it with FTM.  However, the last time I tried this I am getting a message saying 'it appears this tree has been deleted'

So, my question is, do you have to have a subscription to get the full benefit of FTM?

It's a bit pants if you do!
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline shirclo

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: FTM 2012 and Ancestry
« Reply #1 on: Friday 05 October 12 15:09 BST (UK) »
Hi
Yes, you do need to have a current subscription to Ancestry otherwise people would just buy FTM software & Ancestry would lose income.  :)

Regards
Shirley x
Lancashire: EDDLESTON, MEADOWS, PINDER, DEWHURST, LUCAS.
Cheshire: CLOUGH, ASHLEY, PRINCE.
Wiltshire: BURBAGE, BURBIDGE, STEVENS, PARSONS.
Kent (mainly Hoo Peninsula): LEWING, CHAPMAN, MANNOOCH, DABSON, WATTS, LATHBURY, BAKER, LAWS, HILLS, RICH.
North Wales: MORGAN, EDWARDS, JARVIS, DAVIES, WILLIAMS, JONES.
South Wales: BURBIDGE

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 05 October 12 15:30 BST (UK) »
Thanks.  Not sure I quite get it, I'm only trying to sync changes.

Oh well, so be it.
Paternal: Staffordshire, Shropshire, Lancashire, Cheshire, Durham, Wales, Arrondissements Oudenaarde and Gent, Belgium, -  - Maternal: Cheshire, Lancashire, Ireland

Offline tkgafs

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 05 October 12 16:24 BST (UK) »
Since upgrading to FTM2012 I have been getting the same message as well

I find that if I close and re-open FTM I can then re-sync the trees, I have emailed ancestry about it but got a useless automated reply telling me to check everything that had nothing to do with the  issue

Tkgafs

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 05 October 12 17:00 BST (UK) »
Tkgafs, thanks, I just reopened it and its syncing fine  ::)

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:01 BST (UK) »
I have just let my Ancestry subscription lapse (yesterday) but I'll probably rejoin when FTM2013 comes out.

There isn't going to be a FTM 2013, only an update to FTM 2012 as mentioned in the Ancestry Blog in August: http://boards.ancestry.co.uk/topics.software.famtreemaker/8849/mb.ashx

I don't think that you have to have an Ancestry subscription to use FTM. The only thing you'll be missing out on is the Hint utility, and the syncing of your tree. You can use the Ancestry online tree maker for free so, again, just for building a tree you wouldn't need to subscribe.

Is a subscription essential? Nope.

Is a subscription useful? Yep.
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:21 BST (UK) »
Thanks for the update on FTM.

I think I've more or less exhausted the information I can get from Ancestry (as it is now) and I do still have an FindMyPast subscription, my site of preference for searching records.

The hints I was getting from Ancestry of late were ridiculous.

Offline AshkeJ

• RootsChat Extra
  • My mother's father - Ellis Howard Adams
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:29 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean about the hints! Some of the ones I've received have made me hoot with laughter.

I also use FindMyPast in combination with FamilySearch, FreeBMD, Ancestry, The Genealogist, OPC sites ... I think some people have come to believe that Ancestry is some kind of omnipotent website and that if its not there then it doesn't exist!
Holborow/Hurcombe/Halliday - Glos/Wilts
Palmer/Fisher - Collingbournes, Wiltshire
Murray - West Lulworth, Dorset

Offline Parmesan

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Dad 1921-2015
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 08 October 12 11:35 BST (UK) »
I know what you mean about the hints! Some of the ones I've received have made me hoot with laughter.

I also use FindMyPast in combination with FamilySearch, FreeBMD, Ancestry, The Genealogist, OPC sites ... I think some people have come to believe that Ancestry is some kind of omnipotent website and that if its not there then it doesn't exist!

Absolutely agree with that.  There are so many free sites out there that are amazing and I'm still finding them.  The latest one I found was Italiangen which records BMDs and other records for New York.  Not just Italian families - all NY records up to certain dates.  Very useful! http://italiangen.org/
I believe there is a German one too but its identical.