Author Topic: Davies/Crumpton??? family(fromChurchstoke)  (Read 2451 times)

Offline butterflywind

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Davies/Crumpton??? family(fromChurchstoke)
« on: Sunday 07 October 12 17:23 BST (UK) »
Help needed please!!
Trying to get any details on Richard Davies (b-c1842) and Harriet Crumpton (b-c1854) from Church stoke.  They had daughters Maryann (1879?), Jane E (1882?), Martha E (1894?) and son  Walter (1895).
There is a very strong possibility that this Walter is related to me and i would like to know how i can confirm this. (i have no family to ask).
 My Walter was born in 1895, (father Richard, farm labourer, details from Walters marriage cert). Walter married Ann Rowlands from Tywyn in 1917. At the time Walter was living in LLanegrynn & a private in the army.
On the 1911 census 'Churchstoke' Walter is no longer living at home with Richard and Harriet. So i am unable to conect the two Walters between 1911 & 1917
 Any help trying to work out if my Walter and the Churchstoke Walter are the same would be wonderful...

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Davies/Crumpton??? family(fromChurchstoke)
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 23:48 BST (UK) »
I have some data which I will post in full tomorrow that perhaps suggests your Walter is not the Churchstoke Walter.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 12:26 BST (UK) »
The"Churchstoke Walter" you refer to appears to be a groom at Cwmearl Farm,Sarn.
There is a military record for a Walter Davies,Gwernygoe Cottages,Sarn which is only a short distance away.His occupation is listed as "waggoner" and I think he is in the Royal Horse and Royal Field Artillery,which seems compatible.Further,his next of kin is listed as his wife Mary Jane Davies which further appears to rule him out.
However,there is one coincidence-his record is certified by J R Roberts-the same name as a witness to "your Walter's" wedding?
A possible further coincidence is that Rhyd y Garnedd is occupied by a Roberts family in the last census and they have a Sarah Davies(19) working for them.Her birthplace is not easy to read,possibly Pennal.but I can't make any connection with a Walter or Richard.

Regards
Roger

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 09 October 12 18:59 BST (UK) »
I see from your other threads that Walter died in 1925.This death was registered in the Pennal sub district,perhaps further reinforcing that the family was from this area rather than Churchstoke.There are a limited number of options for his birth in this circumstance,at least according to NorthWales BMD.Perhaps an enquiry to the Dolgellau(?) office with his father's name/occupation might lead to his birth certificate.

Regards
Roger

Offline butterflywind

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 12 October 12 10:43 BST (UK) »
Hi Roger
Thank you for your replies and your research. its a line i had not seen before.
My Walter died in Tywyn, Pennal district. My grandmother only being a baby at the time.
It is strange that J Roberts appears on both certificates. I wonder what to make of that??
I had tried finding who lived at Rhyd y Garnedd in the 1911 but with no success.  Your information is a great help.
Do you have connection to the area???

Thanks again
Jane

Offline despair

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 13 October 12 12:17 BST (UK) »
No,I don't have a connection to the area.
I have tried to look at Walter Davies born around the right time in either Merioneth or Montgomery to identify them in the 1901 census at least.Frustratingly,I cannot trace one,or possibly two,from the Merioneth area(I have tried to account for deaths).
Equally I can find two Richard Davies who are at some point have been,or could be, described as farm labourers in the 1901 census living in the Bryncrug,Towyn area(same reference RG13  5190  86  4).One of these has a daughter Sarah J who is not with him in 1911 and in the NorthWalesBMD site a Sarah Jane is given as born Pennal 1896.The one at Rhyd y Garnedd in 1911 however is given as born 1892 and there is an equivalent Pennal birth for a "plain Jane"-so frustrated again.

Regards
Roger