Author Topic: Transporting local gentry in Kiallaloe, early 1900s  (Read 2354 times)

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Transporting local gentry in Kiallaloe, early 1900s
« on: Monday 08 October 12 11:03 BST (UK) »
I have recently been given some information about my great grandfather, David Haskett (1876 - 1941). My father sent this to me about him:

"Grandad David Haskett carried the local gentry between Killaloe and Dromoland by horse and car.
He had two top prized horses, one stabled in Killaloe (his sister in law Hannah's house/field(s) in Ballina, the other in Dromoland"

Does anyone know where I could find out more information about how someone would get a job like that and what Gentry would be transported?

He appears in the Nenagh Guardian in December 1904 in a court case, for leaving his horse unattended on Bridge Street in Killaloe while making a delivery. So he must have been a delivery man for a while before going on to transport passengers. Any help on this would be wonderful. Thanks

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting local gentry in Kiallaloe, early 1900s
« Reply #1 on: Monday 08 October 12 13:53 BST (UK) »
I would think that sounds like a self employed type of occupation. My gt-grandfather did similar work in Co. Wicklow. He was a 'car owner', and seemed to concentrate on taking people to and from the railway station, to outlying areas. He also had other related occupations as a contractor delivering sand and gravel, and also apparently ran a livery stable.

I see David on the 1901 census as a Labourer in Ballina Co. Tipperary - have you found him in 1911 to see what is occupation is then ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline dhaskett

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Transporting local gentry in Kiallaloe, early 1900s
« Reply #2 on: Monday 08 October 12 15:19 BST (UK) »
For whatever reason, I can't seem to find him in the 1911 census. At that point, his brother Martin was in New York, and his mother Anne was still alive. I can't find her either. Anne died in 1913, and David went on to have 2 sons and a daughter from 1915 onwards.