Author Topic: School in Delgany 1901  (Read 6953 times)

Offline jimbo09

• RootsChat Extra
  • Frederick Hurley - Great Grandfather-in-Law
    • View Profile
School in Delgany 1901
« on: Wednesday 10 October 12 23:25 BST (UK) »
My wife's great aunt is shown at boarding school in Delgany in the 1901 census
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/pages/1901/Wicklow/Delgany/Delgany/1820493/
23 students, boys and girls, aged between 4 and 14, in the tender care of Ms Alice Mac Murray (26) and Elizabeth Nesbitt (22). All CofI, Most born in Dublin city, but others from Monaghan, Kildare and other counties.

Does anyone know of this boarding school?
Were the students sponsored? by the Church perhaps? Unlikely that our family member could afford boarding school
I cannot find an equivalent page of youngsters in Delgany in 1911
cannot find either of the adults in 1911

Miss Carrs children homes were not in Delgany until 1906. They were at a place called Richview I believe - perhaps they took on the same building

any help appreciated

Jimbo
Dowzard, Hurley, Johnston, Cleland, Sillery, Hanbury, Sparrow, Parker, Hall

Offline gaffy

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: School in Delgany 1901
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 11 October 12 06:37 BST (UK) »

I wonder does this feed in some way into the history of Delgany National School which is managed by the Church of Ireland today:

http://www.delganyns.com/history.html

Offline jimbo09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 21:40 BST (UK) »
Thanks,
I saw this and I looked for, and found, other links to the La Touche family
But I couldn't find anything that tied them together - except the location - how many schools could there have been in Delgany.
Still trying to link it all together

Offline hope1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 12 21:28 BST (UK) »
Hi, just been talking to my grandmother earlier and she remembers there being a house on the road out of delgany known as upper kindlestown( its the road on the hill thats by the old graveyard) that housed "parentless" children  this would have been in the 40's maybe there is a link there she cant remember exactly where it was but it was on the left handside, she remembers seeing them all walk to church on a sunday morning when she used to be walking to mass with her own grandmother

Upper Kindlestown, Delgany, Wicklow

its the yellow road with a small road marked easton off it on this map

hope thats of some help

Moderator Note - Link shrunk
Duffy-Offaly, Duffy-Scotland, Kelly-wicklow, Lynam-Meath,Donnelly-cavan, Costello-Wicklow, Burke/Bourke-Wicklow, Hughes-Dublin, Creedon-Glasgow, Scollan-Glasgow

Offline jimbo09

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 12 22:58 BST (UK) »
I wonder which house it was?
Isn't it great to be able to get remembered history as a way to answer the questions !

1940s would be a bit after my wife's great aunt's time. She was boarding in Delagny in 1901, but she was not orphaned. Her father had married again, all her siblings were still at home. It all makes the circumstance more confusing

Offline hope1986

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 21 October 12 00:47 BST (UK) »
hi again, my gt gt grandmother lived about half way up the hill and my grandmother remembers the children passing the cottage so they must have been in a house further up towards the woods, if you have another look at the map i liked to earlier the cottage is half way between kendlestown rise and kendlestown heights ( it can also be spelt kindlestown)

I was having a think about your question and i was thinking maybe the anglician church in delgany http://dublin.anglican.org/delgany/index.php  or the Church of Ireland church in greystones http://www.stpatricksgreystones.ie/  might be able to help you, have you tried contacting them?

I know how flustrating it is when you hit a brick wall and cant find your way around it
Duffy-Offaly, Duffy-Scotland, Kelly-wicklow, Lynam-Meath,Donnelly-cavan, Costello-Wicklow, Burke/Bourke-Wicklow, Hughes-Dublin, Creedon-Glasgow, Scollan-Glasgow

Offline Patrick Russell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 03 January 22 23:23 GMT (UK) »
My father, Joseph Russell, at 4 years of age was also at that school in 1901. He subsequently went on to an Irish Church Missions orphanage in Clifden Co. Galway with three other boys I. Delgany. I have wondered  whether this Delgany orphanage (or orphanage) was the remnants of the La Touché orphanage or/and was associated with Irish Church Missions.

Offline Kiltaglassan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Seven Sisters mountain range in Co Donegal
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 11:03 GMT (UK) »

Welcome to RootsChat, Patrick  :)

For others reading, here's your father aged 4 (at bottom of list)-
http://www.census.nationalarchives.ie/reels/nai004002656/

He's born in Dublin City - this is the only Joseph Russell born between 1896 and 1898 in Dublin. Is this him?
https://civilrecords.irishgenealogy.ie/churchrecords/images/birth_returns/births_1896/02151/1816084.pdf

Here's Delgany on an 1897-1913 map
https://arcg.is/0q8Hvj

KG

Researching: Cuthbertson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Australia; Hunter – Co. Derry; Jackson – Co. Derry, Scotland & Canada; Scott – Co. Derry; Neilly – Co. Antrim & USA; McCurdy – Co. Antrim; Nixon – Co. Cavan, Co. Donegal, Canada & USA; Ryan & Noble – Co. Sligo

Offline Patrick Russell

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 04 January 22 23:50 GMT (UK) »
Thank you. The Joseph Russell you refer to is possibly my father, however the mother named (Emily) doesn't match the names of potential children of his grandparents (Samuel & Jane Russell). There was another unnamed child born to a Maggie Russell in Dublin on 16th January 1896. The orphanage or boarding house in the census was named as No 1, and on land owned by Richard Buckley, who I believe also owned Powerscourt. I am unable to identify this house on that map??