Author Topic: Dickerson family  (Read 6468 times)

Offline mahnrut

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Dickerson family
« on: Saturday 13 October 12 13:27 BST (UK) »
I have been searching for over 20 years for the parents of my 3G Grandfather Daniel Dickerson.  From the 1841 census and his age at death in 1847 it seems he was born c. 1775.  He was a Baptist and likely his parents so the fact that the C of E records show nothing is not surprising.  His children were registered at birth in the Wattisham Baptist Church from 1801 on (he was married to Eliz. Meakins in the Ringshall Parish Church in 1800).  While searching through old files at the Ipswich Record Office (I live in the USA but my sister lives in Ipswich) I found a c. 1831 listing of men in Combs where Daniel lived at that time and there he was, a shoemaker who said he "belonged" to Weasted which I and the librarians there decided was Wherstead just outside Ipswich.  I know that in the late 1700s the Baptists in the Wattisham area walked to the Woolverstone Bap.Church which is also outside Ipswich after getting disenchanted with the nearer Baptist Church at Bildeston and wondered whether Daniel in Wherstead met them then and moved out to the Wattisham area.  There is a Dickerson family in the Ipswich area (Bucklesham) and they have a Daniel born around the same time but I am in contact with those researchers and we have come to the conclusion that my Daniel and theirs are likely related but not the same person. 

This is really a long shot as I think I have looked at every concievable piece of information out there including going to Oxford to look at the Bildeston Baptist Church papers in a library there (virtually no names and no Dickersons!). 
Dickerson; Makins/Meakins; Last; Feavearyear; Crooks; Newman; Orders
all in Suffolk, England

Offline Suffolk Mawther

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • William & Eliza Fulker
    • View Profile
Re: Dickerson family
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 14 October 12 11:45 BST (UK) »
Welcome to Rootschat  ;)

The only two parishes with a W at the front and a stead at the end are indeed Wherstead, and Whepstead in west Suffolk.

I have not been able to find a reference to a non-conformist place of worship in Whepstead so far back, although worshippers could travel to Bury St Edmunds perhaps?

Hope you find some help, there are some great detectives here  8)

Pat ...

Every time I find an ancestor,
I have to find two more!

SUFFOLK - Pendle, Stygall, Pipe, Fruer, Bridges, Fisk, Bellamy, Sparham - all link to  Framlingham 
DERBY - Bridges and Frost (originally Framlingham/Parham)
NOTTINGHAM - Lambert & Selby
BERKSHIRE/then Hammersmith LDN - Fulker
LDN/MDX - Murray, Clancy, Broker, Hoskins, Marsden, Wilson, Sale

GGfather Michael Wilson born Cork, lived Fulham London - moved to Boston USA 1889, what happened next?

Offline mahnrut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 14 October 12 15:10 BST (UK) »
Thanks Pat and hope you are well.  I am attaching a pic of the list with the belong place in it for others to see but I think Wherstead is it and in any case there is nothing in the C of E records for either Wherstead (went to the church there when last in Ipswich) or Whepstead.  I can only hope more Baptist records are found (not likely unfortunately) or someone has a family bible out there!

Barbara
all in Suffolk, England

Offline Flora1966

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 27 November 12 18:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi..

I'm related to the Dickerson family from Suffolk..As far as I know I don't have any from Wherstead, most were born in Bucklesham, Suffolk and Ipswich, Suffolk....I wonder if we do have a connection somewhere!!

Best wishes
Jules...
Sussex-  MADGWICK, PONT, MITCHELL, COATES, WHEATLEY, NEWTON, COLLINS.
Kent - HALL, WARMAN, BOORN, STREDWICK, COLE, FILMER.
Suffolk - RAMUS, RUDLAND, DICKERSON, ASBEE.
Hampshire - MADGWICK, PEAKE, VARNDELL, CHAMPION, HINES, HELMS, GOSSLING.
London - PITT, RAMUS, BOOTE,
S Africa - VAN STAADEN, WATKINS, SLATER
Australia - MADGWICK, RAMUS, NEWTON.

Offline smudwhisk

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Whiskey (1997-2018)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 02 December 12 14:23 GMT (UK) »
I have a sideline of a David Dickerson born Barking c1801 who married Alice Ramplin in Coombs in 1824 and they had their children in Hitcham, which is where Alice was from.  I don't have a baptism for David so don't know his father was as I'm only researching the Ramplin(g)s of Hitcham.  Have you looked a all the CofE parishes in that area?
(KENT) Lingwell, Rayment (BUCKS) Read, Hutchins (SRY) Costin, Westbrook (DOR) Gibbs, Goreing (DUR) Green (ESX) Rudland, Malden, Rouse, Boosey (FIFE) Foulis, Russell (NFK) Johnson, Farthing, Purdy, Barsham (GLOS) Collett, Morris, Freebury, May, Kirkman (HERTS) Winchester, Linford (NORTHANTS) Bird, Brimley, Chater, Wilford, Read, Chapman, Jeys, Marston, Lumley (WILTS) Arden, Whatley, Batson, Gleed, Greenhill (SOM) Coombs, Watkins (RUT) Stafford (BERKS) Sansom, Angel, Young, Stratton, Weeks, Day

Offline steg

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 10 December 12 23:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the details of Daniel Dickerson resident in Woolverston c. 1773? He married and was buried there in C of E but no baptisms of any children in the C of E registers. In that your Daniel was born c. 1775 there could be a connection. Would be glad to share the details I have should you need.

Stephen

Offline mahnrut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 19:21 GMT (UK) »
I have a sideline of a David Dickerson born Barking c1801 who married Alice Ramplin in Coombs in 1824 and they had their children in Hitcham, which is where Alice was from.  I don't have a baptism for David so don't know his father was as I'm only researching the Ramplin(g)s of Hitcham.  Have you looked a all the CofE parishes in that area?

Hello

I have the details for David who is in my family if you want to email me at (*).

Barbara Turnham

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
all in Suffolk, England

Offline mahnrut

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 26 December 12 19:27 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

Do you have the details of Daniel Dickerson resident in Woolverston c. 1773? He married and was buried there in C of E but no baptisms of any children in the C of E registers. In that your Daniel was born c. 1775 there could be a connection. Would be glad to share the details I have should you need.

Stephen

Hi Stephen
My Daniel married in 1800 in Ringshall and registered his children in a Baptist church near there so wasn't the same Daniel as you have.  If  you email me at (*) I can put you in touch with the person who knows about the Bucklesham area Dickersons which is probably the same family as your Daniel.

Barbara Turnham

(*) Moderator Comment: e-mail removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

New members must make at least three postings before being allowed to use the PM facility.
See Help-Page:  http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php
all in Suffolk, England

Offline Hephzibah

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 27 December 12 12:51 GMT (UK) »
My Baptist ancestors living in Chelmodiston and Wherstead baptised their children late 18th century at Stoke Green Baptist church Ipswich. have you looked in their records for Daniel's baptism abt 1775?
Hephzibah
PENDAL & variants: Suffolk; Bardwell, Tannington, Weybread, Dennington & Worlingworth
ELLINOR: Suffolk; Redgrave/ Gislingham.
GRAYSTON: Suffolk; Ipswich.
GIRLING: Suffolk; Stradbroke/Ipswich
HAWES: Suffolk; Harkstead/Holbrook/Capel St Mary/Ipswich
BECK: Co Durham; Chopwell & Northumberland; Newcastle upon Tyne.
MILLER: Cumberland; Mawbray/Hayrigg/ Silloth.
FAIRLAM: Co Durham; Allendale Cottages, Low Westwood, Milkwell Burn.
WESTGARTH: Co Durham; Bishop Auckland