Author Topic: Coastguard at Tarbert Nicholas Vine  (Read 1800 times)

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Coastguard at Tarbert Nicholas Vine
« on: Tuesday 16 October 12 06:14 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have information on the Coastguard station at Tarbert Co Kerry? My g g grandfather Nicholas Vine was stationed there after retiring from the Navy and we would love to know more about his time there, history of the place, etc. His son Nicholas was born at Tarbert in 1844. Any information appreciated.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: Coastguard at Tarbert Nicholas Vine
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 08:33 BST (UK) »
from Coastguard records ADM 175 / 18 - page 179

Nicholas Vine boatman, transferred to Tarbert station, 11th Sept. 1840, from Kilkee, Co. Clare. He was removed to Kilcredane station  on the 3rd Oct 1848.

I believe Kilcredane relates to Kilcredaun, which is in Co. Clare across the Shannon estuary and west of Tarbert.

Nicholas is recorded as arriving at Kilcredane station, but this volume (18) only covers up to about 1849. I'll have a further search for him in volume 19...

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 08:42 BST (UK) »
Volume 19 page 197 confirms Nicholas arriving in Kilcredane station in 1848 where he served until 7th Oct. 1850 when he was transferred to North Isle of Arran. The 'cause of discharge or removal & remarks column' for his transfer appears to read 'Punishment' [?] - see below.

My own Coastguard ancestor was transferred from Ireland to Folkestone as punishment in the same year, except in his case it was 'misbehaviour of wife'!

Shane

Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 16 October 12 08:51 BST (UK) »

Offline woodviewpark

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 17 October 12 06:59 BST (UK) »
Thank you Martin and Shane, you have been of such a great help, we started with no real information and now we have history we didn't even know about. I didn't realise he lived on Inishmore at all, which is funny as his grandson William Nicholas married a girl whose parents came from Roundstone Co Galway, just across the bay! They met and married in Australia.
 How do I go about finding out what Nicholas was punished for? I found him listed in a Griffiths valuation as living in a house and garden on Inishmore in 1857. Did the wives generally live there too and did they have quarters or rent a property ? Keen to know more now......