Author Topic: Derby Lookup: CLARKE - baptism mystery / marriage lookup COMPLETED  (Read 3576 times)

Offline Pyrian2

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Derby Lookup: CLARKE - baptism mystery / marriage lookup COMPLETED
« on: Tuesday 16 October 12 18:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

I am trying to solve a mystery. I am researching Alfred Clark(e) 1812-1895, hairdresser and perfumier of Derby, and trying to find his parents. I know his father was William Clark - a Frame Work Knitter.

I have his birth as 18 June 1812 from his daughter's bible. I have found a probable baptism on the familysearch website which has a baptism of an Alfred Clarke on 24 June 1812 at St Alkmund Derby to a William Clarke and Mary.
There is ALSO a baptism of an Alfred Clarke born 18 June 1812, on 23 Aug 1826 at St Peter Derby to a William Clarke and Mary - this baptism is shared with two other children - Emma (born 1 July 1814) and Ann (born 18 June 1807.)

From my Alfred's marriage certificate, his father is William Clarke Frame Work Knitter.

I cannot find a suitable marriage for a William and Mary. Again on familysearch I have found a William Clarke marrying a Mary Bowler in 1808 in Alfreton - but if both the Alfred baptisms above are the same Alfred, then his parent's marriage (going on the births of the other two children) should be pre 1807.

To add to this is the mystery of why he was baptised twice - unless they are two seperate Alfred Clarkes born on the same day in Derby?

Can anyone help?

Any help/signposting would be very much appreciated!

Kind regards

Paul

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Lookup: CLARKE - baptism mystery / marriage lookup
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 18 October 12 20:04 BST (UK) »
Hi Paul,

I was sat here this evening, in my little hovel in central France, not knowing where to look next re my FT and decided to give a little, as opposed to taking a lot...!!!

I have to say that I am no expert re this ancestry lark but pressed a few buttons and came up with the following.....I hope that I am on the right track, as the man say's.

Alfred Clark married Ann Phillis Adams 16 July 1847.

Ann Phillis Adams bap 19 July 1811 to a Richard/Phillis Adams.

I have found TWO William Clark's born in St Alkmund around the right time.

William Clark born 1772  Richard/Mary Clark
William Clark born 1773 William/Ellen Clark.

However, there is only one William Clark that married a Mary Buxton, St Alkmunds 3 April 1802. Not sure if this is your 'lady' but there is a listing of a Mary Buxton bap 25 Dec 1784 in St Alkmunds to a John Buxton. This is a bap date NOT a birth date so she could have been a wee bit older than the bap date.

I hope this helps. IF this is your lady I shall leave the investigations re Mary's parents etc to yourself.

Kind regards

Mark.

Offline Pyrian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 18 October 12 21:12 BST (UK) »
Hi Mark

Wow - not bad from a hovel in deepest, darkest France!  That would fit brilliantly - where did you find it? Is there any extra info on the wedding that might help to 'tie' this William and Mary to my Alfred (I am just trying to be careful with Clark not being the rarest name out there!)

Really appreciate the help - being not local to Derby I have struggled to find much online to help me get further.

Thanks again

Paul

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 18 October 12 21:32 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Went about the Adams/Clark relationship a different way, same results which adds further confirmation.

In 1891 Census Alfred Clark has an un-married niece living with him - Elizabeth Adams B.1828 Derby.

Following her through census etc., she is the daughter of John Adams and Henretta.  John Adams, B 1803 was the
brother Ann Phillis Adams = Alfred Clark their parents being Richard Adams = Phyllis Hall who married 4th March 1801.

1881 Census there is another niece living with Alfred Clark - Helen Poyser B 1851 Derby, she is the daughter of
George Edwin Poyser B 1813 Derby and Mary B 1810 Derbys,  cannot find their marriage!!

Did hope that Helen Poyser may have been a niece on the Clark side.

Spendlove

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline spendlove

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I've not edited my PROFILE yet
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 18 October 12 21:46 BST (UK) »
Hi,

Please note the marriage of william clark = Mary Buxton took place at ~St. Alkmund, Duffield, Derbyshire.

Acording to Phillimore they were both of Duffield Parish at the time of their marriage.

Spendlove
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Spendlove, Strutt in London & Middlesex.

Offline Pyrian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 18 October 12 22:18 BST (UK) »
Thanks Spendlove

That helps, and the Poyser bit is very intriguing. I had not thought to follow the niece's back!

Paul

Offline markthespark

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 19 October 12 07:14 BST (UK) »
Probably a red herring but there is a Robert Poyser marriage to a Mary Lynam, 2 Nov 1835 at Duffield, Derby.

Mark.

Offline Pyrian2

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: Derby Lookup: CLARKE - baptism mystery / marriage lookup COMPLETED
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 12 09:51 BST (UK) »
Thank you both for all your help!

That gives me plenty to go on.

I'll complete now.

Thanks again

Paul