Author Topic: Death of James Crombie Kilpatrick  (Read 3360 times)

Offline suevize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Death of James Crombie Kilpatrick
« on: Saturday 20 October 12 09:10 BST (UK) »
Can anyone help with suggestions to find this elusive death?

James C Kilpatrick came to Australia in 1851 with his wife Mary and 4 young children. He was born in 1820 in Inveresk, Scotland, married Mary O'Connor (originally from Limerick) in Chorlton, Lancs in 1844.

In Australia the family's arrival is noted in the Adelaide newspapers (as Kirkpatrick but confirmed to be the Kilpatrick family) in 1851. He registered the birth of a daughter in Adelaide in 1852 and another in Sandridge (Melbourne) in 1855. This is the last I can find of him.

I have searched death records in all Australian states (so far as they are available on the Internet) as well as deaths at sea in case he was in the merchant navy. Also searched death notices and news items in trove.

In 1865 his daughter married with a letter of permission from her mother (no mention of her father). In 1892 his widow Mary died. I therefore assume he died before 1892 and probably before 1865.

At his birth he was named as James Kilpatrick and may have assumed the additional name Crombie as his mother died when he was an infant and he seems to have been raised by her sister married name Crombie. He has used the name James Crombie Kilpatrick consistently in all the records I have found.

Any ideas on how to find his death? Greatly appreciate any suggestions. Sue
Vize Matheson Lucy Renaghan McCabe Jesson Wadey Macdonald Sewell Barrien Ackroyd Cameron Page Warwick Stocker Irmler Nicol Petrie Aguilar Kilpatrick Norman Morison Walker Brannigan  O'Connor Mooney Barker Laurie Spencer Luff(e) Redman Bennett Ide Chapman Macaulay Stewart Hide/Hyde Taylor Petrie Reverdy

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Death of James Crombie Kilpatrick
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 20 October 12 09:38 BST (UK) »

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • NSW 1806 Bowman Flag Ecce signum.
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 20 October 12 09:45 BST (UK) »
In 1865 his daughter married with a letter of permission from her mother (no mention of her father). In 1892 his widow Mary died. I therefore assume he died before 1892 and probably before 1865.

Hi there,

For mum to give permission in lieu of dad, it at least indicates that dad was not there to give permission.   Where did the 1865 marriage take place?   Do you have that mc? 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
I do not have a face book or a twitter account.

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 20 October 12 10:09 BST (UK) »
I am looking at an online index  for births
I think it is showing the following:

M?? Kilpatrick, at Sandridge Victoria in 1855  with father as James Cromble Kilpatrick and Mary Oconnor.  Ref # 7034.

May I please ask
Does the actual bc show that this birth was registered by the father of the baby? 
Did he sign his name?
What was his full address and his occupation as  given on that bc please? 
On the bc, what  details did he provide for the older siblings for that child? 

Cheers,  JM
The information in my posts is provided for academic and non-commercial research purposes. 
Random Acts of Kindness Given Freely are never Worthless for they are Priceless.
Qui scit et non docet.    Qui docet et non vivit.    Qui nescit et non interrogat.   

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 20 October 12 11:15 BST (UK) »
Have you considered the death of 19 May 1894 at Mile End, SA for a James Kilpatrick aged 73 years. ?   The online index I am looking at has the death as registered at Hindmarsh, Vol 219 Page 68.   I am not sure if that would be the full reference no. details.

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/53702436 SA Register 22 May 1894,… no mention of family in that cutting, perhaps the person letting the newspaper know had simply  presumed he was from Ireland by his accent http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/53687621 SA Register 29 May 1894   

Same online source, there’s a Cemetery Index for Avoca, Vic for a James Kilpatrick, aged 73, death 18 May 1894.  Perhaps its for the same chap, and his name is memoralised  on a headstone at Avoca?   

I am not familiar with Vic or SA records, sorry, I hope I am not taking you too far off track…

Cheers,  JM

Offline suevize

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 20 October 12 20:29 BST (UK) »
Thanks JM for all the leads.

Yes I have the 1865 marriage certificate - Christian Kilpatrick married George Norman in Sandridge (now Port Melbourne), father named as James Crombie Kilptarick, mother Mary O'Connor.
Yes also have the birth certificate and James did register the birth in 1855 in Sandridge.

So my best guess of his movements is 1850 left Manchester, arrived Port Adelaide Jan 1851. Stayed in Adelaide until 1853-54 then moved to Sandridge, Victoria before 1855.

The family seems to have stayed in Sandridge until Mary's death in 1892. She is named as relict of James Crombie Kilpatrick in the death announcements in the paper and her death certificate also says widow. I have therefore been focusing on pre 1892, but always possible the family gave this info if Mary was abandoned. I'll have to check the Avoca one again. I did download all the Vic ones that looked vaguely close and all had major differences to my info. Had not seen the SA one.

Thanks

Sue
Vize Matheson Lucy Renaghan McCabe Jesson Wadey Macdonald Sewell Barrien Ackroyd Cameron Page Warwick Stocker Irmler Nicol Petrie Aguilar Kilpatrick Norman Morison Walker Brannigan  O'Connor Mooney Barker Laurie Spencer Luff(e) Redman Bennett Ide Chapman Macaulay Stewart Hide/Hyde Taylor Petrie Reverdy

Offline muss

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Saturday 20 October 12 21:31 BST (UK) »
Hi

This may be may or may not help

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/84401453?searchTerm=james crombie&searchLimits=
I have not found the death on QLD BDMs

May not be the correct James

http://trove.nla.gov.au/ndp/del/article/3679092?searchTerm=james crombie&searchLimits
Muss

Offline sue21757

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Saturday 20 October 12 23:17 BST (UK) »
The death on Qld BDM
Crombie James 1898/C3758
Father David Crombie
Mother Jessie Webster

Cheers Sue

Offline majm

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Saturday 20 October 12 23:33 BST (UK) »
Hi there,

Re the 1855 bc and the 1865 mc, both for Victoria BDMs ....

What occupation for James on each one, and the addresses please for a) the place of birth in 1855  and b) the bride's usual address in 1865.

Cheers,  JM