Author Topic: Birth in County Down?  (Read 3660 times)

Offline Jaycon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Birth in County Down?
« on: Sunday 29 May 05 18:52 BST (UK) »
Looking for the birth of James Emerson born c1862, parents James & Jane (m.s. Hagan). Found parents in 1871 census in Scotland, eldest son James listed as age 9yrs and born in Ireland. Most probably Loughinisland area as this is where they married. How would I find James' birth records?
Loughinisland,Co Down...Emerson, Hagan, Carlile
Tawnagh, Co Sligo...Candon/Condon,Keavney
Roseneath, Dunbartonshire..Emerson
Glasgow, Lanarkshire...Logan, Candon,Callaghan,McGovern
Greenock, Renfrewshire...McMenamie, Hawthorne, Campbell,Kennedy,Murdoch

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
Re: Birth in County Down?
« Reply #1 on: Friday 03 June 05 23:30 BST (UK) »
Have you had a look at the various Emerson references on ]http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/EaEm.htm? Can't see anything there on your James, but there is mention of a Samuel and William in Loughinisland.

Also, have you noticed on  IGI an entry for another Emerson/Hagan family in County Down - Samuel and Isabella with a son, James, born 1867?

Ros Davies' Co. Down website now here:
http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~rosdavies/
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline scotmum

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • A tree full of life, a life full of branches!
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 03 June 05 23:34 BST (UK) »
Also, just noticed on this page ttp://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Hagan.htm[/s]]http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.com/~rosdavies/SURNAMES/Hagan.htm that Isabella seems to have come from Loughinisland too - perhaps 2 brothers married 2 sisters.

Hopefully something on these links will give you another avenue of research.

See above post for new website address
"Trees without roots fall over!"

""People who never look backward to their ancestors will never look forward to posterity." - Edmund Burke

Don't just wait for the storm to pass, learn to dance in the rain.

“Remember to look up at the stars and not down at your feet. Be curious and however difficult life may seem, there is always something you can do and succeed at.”  Stephen Hawking

In a world where you can be anything, be kind .

Offline Jaycon

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 06 June 05 08:55 BST (UK) »
Thanks for your replies, I've already looked at these Emersons on this site and it's possible 2 brothers married 2 sisters although I have no information to confirm this as yet. Thanks anyway. James and his father before arriving in Scotland have been very difficult to find!

Best wishes

Janice
Loughinisland,Co Down...Emerson, Hagan, Carlile
Tawnagh, Co Sligo...Candon/Condon,Keavney
Roseneath, Dunbartonshire..Emerson
Glasgow, Lanarkshire...Logan, Candon,Callaghan,McGovern
Greenock, Renfrewshire...McMenamie, Hawthorne, Campbell,Kennedy,Murdoch

Offline MacCailein

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 22 June 05 08:29 BST (UK) »
Try www.caora.net for Em[m]erson/Emmion and variants , quite a few in the Clough area, also outside in the townland of Claragh. Broken link

As for birth records, civil registration did not begin until 1864 so if it was recorded you would need to check available church registries for the relevant Clough denomination. Main two churches in Clough are Presbyterian, other churches - Church of Ireland in neighbouring village of Seaforde, Roman Catholic at Loughinisland and Aghlisnafin. When considering historical records in ireland, need to keep options open, sometimes people would move areas but still register births, marriages and deaths in their original ancestral parish.

If you are overseas best using the microfilm option available from the Church of the Latter Day Saints Family History Centers. The LDS have a website at www.familysearch.org and have indexed some records on-line but not all records have been on-line and in some cases transcription errors have occured so care needs to be taken with interpretation. Still a great resource though to isolate options.

Offline teap78

• RootsChat Veteran
  • my mum Gemma Doyle 1950s
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 September 05 23:08 BST (UK) »
Birth Record EMERSON JAMES 1862    Co down

I looked on this site but you have to pay £6 to view the results.

I went into the office of the below mentioned and paid £15 was there from 10 to 5 and found out loads on my family.

http://www.ancestryireland.co.uk
Doyle, Mullan, Mulholland, O'Neill, McCann, Lowry, Mullen, Forsythe, Magilton, Farnan.  Banbridge Co Down , Belfast Co Antrim and Dungannon Co Tyrone .