Author Topic: Yaxley Marriage Lookup  (Read 832 times)

Offline Dissman

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Yaxley Marriage Lookup
« on: Wednesday 24 October 12 17:36 BST (UK) »
I am trying to determine the marriage details of Daniel MEEN, born in Yaxley, in 1793. His census records show his spouse to be Mary ????? from Leiston. Assuming that he married at about 22 years of age the marriage would have taken place at around 1815. Without access to the PRs I can not be certain of any offspring except a daughter, Harriet, who married Edward Batley, in 1837, in Mellis. Their marriage certificate shows Daniel Meen as being Harriet's father. Harriet's census records show her as being born, in Yaxley, in about 1818/1819. This suggests that Daniel and Mary lived in Yaxley after their marriage. But did they marry here and if so when ?

Could someone kindly do a PR lookup to answer these questions.

Hopefully I will not have to venture further afield to Leiston  ;D
Norfolk - Easto Leggett
Suffolk - Easto Leggett
Derbyshire - Eyre

Offline Keziah2

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Yaxley Marriage Lookup
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 12 08:19 GMT (UK) »
Still looking - how very frustrating

Please correct me if this is wrong but from what I can see Daniel was probably bpt in Yaxley 18 Aug 1793 base born son of Margaret Meen.  Margaret seems to have had a daughter Sarah as well buried 1801 Yaxley.

He then seems to adopt the name PORCHER & is certainly living in Yaxley from 1815 on as I have found these entries to confirm that

John PORCHER (son of Daniel & Mary) buried 14 Dec 1815 age 2, Yaxley  (Suffolk Burial Index)
Charlotte PORCHER bpt 1816 Yaxley - buried 1829 Yaxley dau of Daniel & Mary (Familysearch/SBI)
Harriet Porcher Bpt 1818 Yaxley (FS)
Charles Porcher bpt 1820 Yaxley (FS)
Elizabeth Porcher bpt 1825 Yaxley (FS)
Maria Porcher bpt Yaxley same day as Elizabeth (1825) buried 1828 age 6  (FS/SBI)

Daniel PORCHER-MEAN  is then buried in nearby Mellis 23 Sep 1863 age 73.

So it looks like your couple could have been married c1813 or before if you consider the details given when son John was buried & also by 1815 they are certainly using the name PORCHER rather than MEAN.

That aside I can still find nothing in the way of a marriage in either name but perhaps with more info someone elses detective skills will come up trumps.  Have you considered that they could have met & married whilst working outside of the County?  Leiston is a goodly way from Yaxley.

K

ps.  Added 11 Nov 12.  In his posts in March 2011 Dissman seems to have identified in the Yaxley PRs that a Daniel MEEN married a Mary JACOB in 1812.  Nothing shows up on any of the online records to confirm this tho.

Confirmed by Annes on 13 Mar 2011 from Yaxley PRs marriage took place 18 May 1812.