Author Topic: Darnick  (Read 1592 times)

Offline Carly287

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Darnick
« on: Monday 29 October 12 14:07 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone! :)

Would somebody be able to find out for me any newspaper records for Darnick,Melrose to do with my family please?

If you can;Eliza Tait(my great great great grandma) died in May,1869 in Darnick,Melrose, would someone be able to find an obituary for her please? She was 40. Also,birth notices for John Thomas Tait(my great great granddad) born 31st March 1858 and his brother;Joseph Aloysius Tait born 1865.  Both in Melrose. If anyone could help,I would be really grateful!

Thanks,

Carly

Offline terianne

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Darnick
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 13:32 GMT (UK) »
For that period the best newspapers to try would be the Southern Reporter or the Border Telgraph - copies are available at the Hub in Hawick or if you go to Galashiels library - upstairs - they have hardcopies to look through of the Border Telgraph

But I would suggest to search under Elizabeth maiden name, as with search women in Scotland the maiden is the main recording method.

Offline hdw

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Darnick
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 30 October 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Hi everyone! :)

Would somebody be able to find out for me any newspaper records for Darnick,Melrose to do with my family please?

If you can;Eliza Tait(my great great great grandma) died in May,1869 in Darnick,Melrose, would someone be able to find an obituary for her please? She was 40. Also,birth notices for John Thomas Tait(my great great granddad) born 31st March 1858 and his brother;Joseph Aloysius Tait born 1865.  Both in Melrose. If anyone could help,I would be really grateful!

Thanks,

Carly

Do you really mean an "obituary" - which is a mini-biography of, usually, somebody prominent or well-known - or just a death-notice?

I don't know about these Border repositories, but I know that the Fife library service has a local studies librarian based in Cupar who is very helpful about looking up obits. and death-notices or any other article of interest in the old local newspapers and sending either a hard copy or a scanned version by email to the enquirer.

Harry