Author Topic: Finlay family of Cushendun, Lepper of Belfast, Hill of Hillmount  (Read 7410 times)

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Finlay family of Cushendun, Lepper of Belfast, Hill of Hillmount
« on: Thursday 01 November 12 22:59 GMT (UK) »
At present, I am searching for information on the parentage of John Finlay of Glemona Lodge, Cushendun, flax merchant, and other possible children of John and his wife, Harriet Lepper.

Here is what I have put together so far:

1.  Mr Finlay (given name?) m. a Miss Robinson, an only dau.  A grandson in letter said that she was from
Bellroy (possibly Beltoy), near Banbridge and that she had seven brothers.

2.  John Finlay of Glenmona Lodge, Cushendun, flax merchant. , (c. 1835-1907); m. 1 Annie (Hill?) , d. 1876 at Donegall Square, Belfast; m. 2 in 1877 to her niece, Harriet Elizabeth Lepper, (c. 1853-1907),  dau of William Harper Lepper by his wife, Mary Macaulay.  Mary Macaulay's mother was a Hill twice over as her parents were George Hill and Mary Hill, cousins, of the family of Hillmount, Larne.  In 1895  John Finlay filed a petition for bankruptcy and according to his son, lost everything.  In 1901 John and Harriet were living at 8 Cushendun, Cushlake, Co. Antrim.

3.  Walter Finlay, b. abt. 1879; in 1911 living at 8 Sleans, Cushendall;  Occupation, labourer.

3.  Maurice Finlay, b. abt. 1882; in 1911 living at 7 Sleans, next door to his brother; occupation, fisherman; married to Elizabeth with the following issue,

4.  Hester Finlay, b. abt. 1908

4.  Hugh Finlay, b. abt. 1909

4.  Harriet Finlay, b. abt. 1910

2.  William Finlay, no information on him at this time.

I believe that John may have been a relation of Alexander Finlay, Esq. of Belfast, as some of his daughters were related through marriage to the Lepper family, but as of yet this is only a hypothesis.  Any feedback most welcome.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Finlay family of Cushendun, Lepper of Belfast, Hill of Hillmount
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 12 08:54 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Don't know if this helps In Sept 1904 both Maurice McCauley Lepper Finlay and Ion (sic) Walter Finlay were registered as students in Campbell College, Belfast. Their father was John Finlay of Cushendun.
  Maurice married Elizabeth McCollam in Dec 1906 in St Annes Church of Ireland, Shankill, Belfast.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 04 November 12 23:07 GMT (UK) »
It  does help, indeed. Thanks, Kingskerswell.  It looks as though both Maurice and his brother were well-educated, so I wonder what happened.  One would think that other family members would have lent a helping hand.  I believe that Maurice was doing some work in regards to the salmon industry.

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 05 November 12 07:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Another snippet which may be connected. Aug 1915 Walter Finlay married Letitia Donaghy in Kilconriola Church of Ireland, Ballymena. The fathers' names were John Finlay and Blair Donaghy.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 05 November 12 09:25 GMT (UK) »
Many thanks again.  I will play around a wee bit with the names and see what turns up.

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 05 November 12 09:38 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to the Irish census and Kingskerswell for the lead:

1901--living at 52 Ballee, Kells, Antrim
Blair Donaghy, 49, carter
Elisa, 53, wife
John, 20, stonemason
Letitia, 19, hem stitcher
Joseph, 16, carpenter
Jane, 14, folder
Blair, 13, in school

1911 census--living at 9 Cushendall Rd.
Blair Donaghy, 59, watchman
Elizabeth, 66, wife
Joseph, 45 [sic] should have said 25, sent in correction notice, carpenter,single
Jennie, 23, single

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 05 November 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
   Blair Donaghy married Eliza Gallagher in Ringsend Presbyterian Church, Coleraine in Oct 1874.
   Blair Donaghy married Anne Gault in Broughshane Second Presbyterian Church, Ballymena in Dec 1915.

Regards
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 05 November 12 11:03 GMT (UK) »
   Blair Donaghy married Eliza Gallagher in Ringsend Presbyterian Church, Coleraine in Oct 1874

20 Oct.1874 Ringsend Presbyterian Church, Blair Donaghy, full age, bachelor, labourer, Garvagh, father James Donaghy labourer, to Eliza Gallagher, full age, spinster, Garvagh, father John Gallagher farmer. Witnesses: THomas Donaghy, Margaret Gallagher.
Note: church is in Coleraine registration district but not in Coleraine itself.
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline pablo1

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 05 November 12 15:24 GMT (UK) »
I am very appreciative of the help I have received from Aghadowey and Kingskerwell.  I am now going to add some information that has been included in previous posts, but it is necessary to repeat it here to understand how all of these families are connected.  As such I am asking for everyone's patience.

1.  Rev. John Hill of Cashell m.

2.  Son m.

3.  Arthur Hill

3.  Sarah Hill m. Mr. Anderson

3.  Elizabeth Hill m. 1789 William Adams, merchant of Portglenone w/issue

3.  George Hill of Larne and Hillmount m. 1797, his cousin, Mary Hill, youngest dau of John Hill and Anne Barry

4.  Jane Hill m. Capt. George Macaulay, son of Alexander Macaulay and the Hon. Julia Henrietta Acheson, dau. of Archibald Acheson, Lord Gosford.

5.  Alexander Macaulay (1819-1849) m. Maria Martin, dau. of John Martin of Dublin

5.  Mary Macaulay m. William Harper Lepper, son of Charles Lepper and Anne Jane Harper w/issue.  (This is the most important group that we will look at later)

5.  Harriet Macaulay (1822-1907) m. the Rev. Robert Posnett, son of Hutcheson Posnett, J.P. of Belfast

5.  Georgina Macaulay m. Henry FitzGibbon (1824-1909), the Recorder of Belfast and cousin of the Rt. Hon. Gerald FitzGibbon, Lord Justice of Appeals.

5.  Anne Jane Macaulay m. George Hill Emerson, her cousin, son of Arbuthnot Emerson and Mary Hill.  Arbuthnot was the nephew of Sir James Emerson-Tennent.

4.  Ann Hill m. William Walsh McNeill, solicitor, son of John McNeill and Catherine Walsh.  William d. in 1845.

5.  George Hill McNeill, solicitor, b. 1824; m. 1855 Mary Hudson McNeill, dau. Of John McNeill, solicitor of Glenone, Londonderry.

5.  Catherine McNeill, b. 1827, m. J. McNeill in 1852; m. 2  Rev. John Moore.

5.  Mary McNeill, b. 1829.

5.  John McNeill, b. 1830, m. Mary Jane Hodges

6.  George Hill McNeill

6.  Elliott McNeill, solicitor, (1870-1922), m. 1897 Maud Louisa Fry, dau. Of William Storrs Fry and Anne Jane Lepper w/issue.

6.  John Hill Trevor McNeill, barrister, m. Esther Frances Duffey, dau. Of Dr. Sir George Duffey w/issue. (She re-married after his death to John Haltoran Bennett of Ballincurra, Co. Cork.

Later I will post about the Lepper family.  Their relationship to the Macaulays will tie in to the Finlay family.