Author Topic: photo from clothes could it be in Australia about 1928  (Read 2664 times)

Offline thurgood

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
photo from clothes could it be in Australia about 1928
« on: Friday 02 November 12 04:14 GMT (UK) »
The man is William Wood B 1903 Montrose Scotland unknown girl Where was it shot

How do I shift this to another board such as Photo Id*

* Moderator Comment:  topic moved ;) *
Holdaway[Kent] Thornhill [Yorkshire] Armstrong [Brampton] Wood [Montrose]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: photo from clothes could it be in Australia about 1928
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 12 04:50 GMT (UK) »
To me, this doesn't look like Australia. Trees look perhaps a bit like pines or cold climate plants of some sort, and is that a frost or snow on the ground?

I take it that William moved to Australia at some point - whereabouts did he move to? A cold region?

I think this query may be better on the photo dating board* as you will probably get help dating the clothes. I am just guessing, but I think it is difficult to date this and I'd say it could be anything from 30's to 50's (her handbag and shoes could be 50's). Someone will know about the man's outfit - turnups on trousers and waistcoat may give clues. I think the girl's hat may have a tassle?

* Moderator comment: topic moved - thank you Ruskie :) *

Offline mahalia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 12 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hey believe it or not we do get snow and frost in large areas of Australia - it isn't sunny and hot all the time ::) ;D

It almost looks like it is snowing in the photo but I suspect they are age marks.

It's a bit to generic to say whether or not it is Australia - the bushes could be Mulga scrub but the two people don't look particularly dressed as people in our outback and country area would be expected to be, although they could have been on their way to church and this was their best clobber. ;).
Check out my blog site here:

http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

searching for information on Lyonell Fildes - Lancashire area and the Bower/Jacklin family - Middlesex area related to Victor George Bower Jacklin also information relating to Winifred Jacklin nee Clark also William Young Clark and Emily Clarke nee Gristwood from the Surrey area around Chalfont St Giles

Information on Clifford family from Lithgow area of NSW with links to UK
Information on Dobe famil

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 12 09:00 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a pot plant in the background which suggests a garden rather than woods/outback.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 12 09:49 GMT (UK) »
Hey believe it or not we do get snow and frost in large areas of Australia - it isn't sunny and hot all the time ::) ;D

I realise that, hence my question about whereabouts in Australia William migrated to.

It's a tricky one with so little of the background to see. As Caroline says, it appears to be a garden. I think that looks like a hedgein the background - it's a bit too cultivated looking and too tall and lush to be mulga isn't it?  :-\ I wonder if lightening it might bring out some features.

Looking again at the girl's coat, I think the single button and pleats low on the waist give it a 20s look. Also appears to have a fur collar.

(Thanks for moving this Prue  :))

Offline mahalia

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Good pick up on the pot plant Ruskie I think you are right - a garden with a hedge - not that it really helps determine where but still you never know - there might be another garden shot lurking with the same hedge perhaps.

Cheers

Maureen
Check out my blog site here:

http://scribblybarkpoetry.blogspot.com.au/

searching for information on Lyonell Fildes - Lancashire area and the Bower/Jacklin family - Middlesex area related to Victor George Bower Jacklin also information relating to Winifred Jacklin nee Clark also William Young Clark and Emily Clarke nee Gristwood from the Surrey area around Chalfont St Giles

Information on Clifford family from Lithgow area of NSW with links to UK
Information on Dobe famil

Offline cazza59

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 02 November 12 12:54 GMT (UK) »
The little girls hat is interesting, with the long tassel to her shoulder.  Don't quote me, but to me the hat has a European look to it, although without further clues, it could just about be anywhere.   Hopefully Jim or China might have a few more clues.

I've lightened the photo and there are no more significant details that I can see in the background, but I'm more inclined to think that is a light covering of snow.

I agree that the hedge has been purposely planted, particularly in light of the pot plant.

Caroline
Wilkinson - Shropshire;  Jones - Hereford; Mitchell - Brighton; Emery - Brighton; Hall - Brighton Christopher - Dorset; Bussell - Dorset; <br /><br /><br />This information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk<br /><]

Offline Treetotal

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 02 November 12 18:29 GMT (UK) »
What makes you think it was taken in Australia?....the girl's coat looks as though it has been taken up.
Carol
CAPES Hull. KIRK  Leeds, Hull. JONES  Wales,  Lancashire. CARROLL Ireland, Lancashire, U.S.A. BROUGHTON Leicester, Goole, Hull BORRILL  Lincolnshire, Durham, Hull. GROOM  Wishbech, Hull. ANTHONY St. John's Nfld. BUCKNALL Lincolnshire, Hull. BUTT Harbour Grace, Newfoundland. PARSONS  Western Bay, Newfoundland. MONAGHAN  Ireland, U.S.A. PERRY Cheshire, Liverpool.

RESTORERS:PLEASE DO NOT USE MY RESTORES WITHOUT PRIOR PERMISSION - THANK YOU

Offline chinakay

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Our housegoof
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 02 November 12 19:19 GMT (UK) »
There appears to be a pot plant in the background

Caz! You party animal, you ;D ;D ;D
Moore/Paterson~Montreal
Moore/Addison~New Brunswick
Jubb/Kerr~Mirfield~Halifax~Moffatt