Author Topic: Looking for a Home Guard Unit  (Read 3109 times)

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
  • One little squirrel can do alot
    • View Profile
Looking for a Home Guard Unit
« on: Friday 02 November 12 16:02 GMT (UK) »
My Dad and his brother remember well their father serving in the Home Guard in WWII. They recall arguing over who got to hand him his gun when he left to join his unit and loved looking at his uniform. Both men want to get their father's records (though we know there might not be much info on them) but we have no idea what unit he served in!
The family lived in Newbold upon Avon in Warwickshire. Is there anyone who can tell me what was the closest unit (Rugby, perhaps?) or of there is a web site that can tell me?
Thank you so much!
Laybourn/Leybourne, Kearney, Wandlass, Stephenson, Chisholm, Dodson, Barkass, Forster, Wright, Martin, Hall<br /><br />Areas: Hartlepool, Southwick, Sunderland, Staindrop, and Stockton

Offline chipking

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for a Home Guard Unit
« Reply #1 on: Friday 02 November 12 16:18 GMT (UK) »
hi

here is the national archives website were you will most properly find the records of the home guard but most properly  there still being hold by the ministry of defence.

http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/records/looking-for-person/homeguard.htm

ray

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 02 November 12 16:40 GMT (UK) »
Thank you Ray,

I have looked there.....but when I type Granddad's name in the search the archives area, nothing comes up. Could be I am doing it wrong....I find it not the easiest site to navigate. Thanks again.
Laybourn/Leybourne, Kearney, Wandlass, Stephenson, Chisholm, Dodson, Barkass, Forster, Wright, Martin, Hall<br /><br />Areas: Hartlepool, Southwick, Sunderland, Staindrop, and Stockton

Offline jds1949

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 02 November 12 17:44 GMT (UK) »
Home Guard Records are still with the Ministry of Defence, the only exception being those from the Durham area which have been digitalised as a pilot study and are available from the National Archives. I believe it was the intention to release all the records in this way eventually, but apparently they have run into a snag with data protection, a substantial number or records relate to men still living who served as youngsters.

You are right in your supposition that they don't reveal very much, name, rank, next of kin, address and unit, dates of enlistment etc. are just about it on the examples I've seen.

jds1949
Swarbrick - all and any - specially interested in all who served in WW1

Offline wyndham

• --
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 02 November 12 19:54 GMT (UK) »
jds - What you say would be somewhat useful.  I applied to the MOD some time ago regarding my father's time in the Home Guard, sent them £30 and got absolutely nothing back other than a letter saying they had been unable to find anything.  I wasn't too impressed!

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 02 November 12 22:53 GMT (UK) »
Thanks jds1949.
And wyndham, I almost paid the money to MOD, but I was wary, I live in the US so that's a bit more out of my pocket, and if they come back to say they can't find Granddad....I just can't take that risk. But I figured somewhere I could find the units around where Granddad lived and then deduce which one he belonged to...crazy how those records seem to be so hard to find!

Offline ChrisEM

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 15:03 GMT (UK) »
I cannot be certain, Squirrel69, but it is highly likely that your grandfather would have served in the 2nd Warwickshire (Rugby) Battalion.  This Battalion would have been responsible for an area larger than the town itself.  It would have comprised several companies and each of these would have consisted of several platoons. One of the latter would have been responsible for the defence of Newbold-upon-Avon and would have had its HQ in the village and drawn its membership from local residents.

Such a platoon looks the most likely unit in which your grandfather would have served.  On the other hand, if he worked for a large company in Rugby he could have been a member of their works HG unit which again would have been part of the 2nd Warwickshire.

Perhaps an area for further research would be the Warwickshire Regimental Museum who I am sure would respond to an overseas request for information.

Some time ago I put together a few notes to help people searching for Home Guard members and their units.  I think that it is all still fairly relevant and you might like to flick through it.  It is in my Home Guard website here: http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk/J9GeneralInformationSearchingforMembers.htm

You will see in that article that there is a slightly better chance of pinning down an old member if he were an officer.  There is a published list of officers serving as at February 1941. If you think that there is any chance of his having been an officer, please let me have his name and I will do a look up for you.

Good luck in your further researches.

Chris
The Home Guard of Great Britain - the story of units and individuals 1940-1944 - http://www.staffshomeguard.co.uk

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 02:04 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for your reply Chris!
I do not know if Granddad was an officer.....I do know that he worked at BTH, he was a lathe operator and because of that he was told he could not fight in the war. He was needed at home.
Thank you for a link to your site, I will have a look at it hopefully soon, I have been busy with work lately and not able to do anything.
Thank you again for your help!!

Sylvia

Offline Squirrel69

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 03:15 GMT (UK) »
Chris,
I'll just give you Granddad's name, just in case. I asked my Dad and Uncle, and they have no idea if he was an officer or not. His name was John M. Leybourne.
Thanks again!

Sylvia