Author Topic: Cape of Good Hope  (Read 1461 times)

Offline mcstrings

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Cape of Good Hope
« on: Saturday 03 November 12 20:05 GMT (UK) »
I have found my 3x great grandfather  John McInnes was born 1811 cape of good hope.
Does anyone know how i would go about finding information About this, like who his parents were and what they were doing ?
thanks

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Cape of Good Hope
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 12 06:52 GMT (UK) »
In Peter Philip's British Residents at the Cape 1795-1819 there are references to two people with the surname MacInnes [sic]:

Matthew, Lt Cape Regt, served SA as Ens. 1808-12, as Lt 1813-17. 1813 army officer from Galloway stationed near Bethelsdorp. 2.10.13 subscribed at Grahamstown to Bible & Schools Commission. 1815 involved in Slagter's Nek rebellion commanding a company of Hottentots.

Philip  1818 on Q Roll (this was a Quotisatie - a register of taxes paid); spelt 'Maxinis' in the source.

Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline mcstrings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 08 November 12 17:19 GMT (UK) »
thank you for your reply and help
Ang. :)

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 08 November 12 18:10 GMT (UK) »
I wonder what your source was for the birth in 1811 and is there documentary evidence? Not compulsory that you share that info, just interested.

Mole
All South Africa but especially Natal colonial era.<br />GADSDEN and variants worldwide, any date, any place; large database.<br />Medieval GADDESDEN and GATESDEN<br />HAMILTON (Ayrshire)<br />BELL (Cumberland - Solway Firth area)

Offline mcstrings

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 08 November 12 18:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Mole

I got the birth year 1811 from  the 1841 census . My Tutor found him in the 1851 census this is where it says born Cape of Good Hope.
As you will know this is not concrete evidence , In these census i believe they rounded the age off to 0 or 5

I did have a scribble off 1804 but can't work out where i got it from.

Ang.

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 November 12 08:20 GMT (UK) »
As date is fairly early for SA should probably explore any instance of the surname around that period e.g. on NAAIRS we find:
DEPOT     KAB                                                                   
SOURCE    CO                                                                   
TYPE      LEER                                                                 
VOLUME_NO 3926                                                                 
SYSTEM    00                                                                   
REFERENCE 125                                                                   
PART      1                                                                     
DESCRIPTION          MEMORIALS RECEIVED. FRANCIS MCINNES. REQUESTING A COLONIAL PASS.     
STARTING  1824                                                                 
ENDING    1824   

Other early sources would include the Permissions (to Remain or to Leave the Colony) held at Cape Archives.

Mole

Offline Mole

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 12 10:27 GMT (UK) »
It is possible that his parents were merely passing through the Cape on their way elsewhere e.g. India, Australia ... his birth may simply have been registered at the Cape. He could have been born at sea.

Mole