Author Topic: Help needed with possible baptism  (Read 1604 times)

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
Help needed with possible baptism
« on: Sunday 04 November 12 14:47 GMT (UK) »
Hiyall

I was wondering if someone with Welsh regional knowledge might be able to help me
One of my ancestors was Thomas Edwards b 1753ish who lived in the Staunton Harold area of Leicestershire. He married 1774 in the village of Coleorton I think he may have been the son of John Edwards - there is a burial for John in nearby Ashby de la Zouch - who seems to be the only other Edwards in the area at that time.

On the Poor Law Index for Leicestershire I have found a reference for a settlement examination  for a John Edward's in Ashby - the other Parish in question being Overton Maddock in Flintshire 1758. So to cut a long story short, I would like to know if there is a baptism in Overton-Maddock or nearby that would fit Thomas - John being his father. Can anyone help?

Cheers
Jan :-*
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!

Offline dcbnwh

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Help needed with possible baptism
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 09:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,

Findmypast is fairly comprehensive on Flintshire but the only Thomas in Overton was in 1758, son of John and Mary.

I have a resettlement order on one of my wife's ancestors and the family was sent back to the village where the father was born, even though his wife children were all born in the village where they were resident. Fortunately, it named the wife and children, and I am wondering if there are any other names on the one that you have.

There were four John Edwards born in Overton between 1727 and 1733. Other Overton names from that period, who had children in Coleorton, are Thomas, Edward and James.

There is a burial for John Edward in Coleorton in 1794, although there are several earlier baptisms or burials as Edwards. The one in 1794 doesn't give a father's name and so may be an adult.

There are some interesting facts about Overton on this link - http://www.british-history.ac.uk/report.aspx?compid=47874

David

Offline Megran

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 15 November 12 10:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi Jan,
Have you tried the Family History Society www.clwydfhs.org.uk

Best of Luck,
Regards,
Megran.
Caunt - Manchester & area, Lancashire, Nottinghamshire.
Edwards - Cheshire, Denbighshire, Manchester
Lloyd - Marbury area,Cheshire
Isherwood - Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire
Vaughan - Marbury area, Cheshire
Walker - Manchester/Bolton/Sharples, Lancashire

Offline Jan Ann

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • I Know,If I Get to the Core then Answers R There!
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 15 November 12 10:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi David/Megran

Thanks to you both for your suggestions, most appreciated.

I have the PR's for Coleorton and there is a baptism for a Thomas Edwards, son of Richard in 1758 - but I dont think this is our Thomas, it could be a cousin  ::)

The settlement might name his children - I guess I will have to put a post on the Leics board to see if it did -

Cheers
Jan :-*
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

TIVEY, WILDE,
Alker, Barmore, Birchall, Bird, Bryan, Chant, Clare,  Crump, Dow, Edwards, Fairbrother, Faulkner, Frearson, Frogson, Glew, Halliday, Heathcote, Hesford, Holliday, Jones, Knight, Massey, Mather, McKenna, Mee, Melling, Neal, O'Brien, Ottewell, Pimblett, Pinks, Price, Quinn, Rampling, Richards, Richardson, Rowley, Royle, Shakespeare, Shaw, Sheldon, Tandy, Thompson, Wade, Walker,  & more!