Author Topic: EAGAN/EGAN AND BRADY - Ballymanus/Derrybrock Co Laois  (Read 7012 times)

Offline Kingseat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
EAGAN/EGAN AND BRADY - Ballymanus/Derrybrock Co Laois
« on: Monday 05 November 12 04:04 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace Michael (aka James) Eagan/Egan and Anna Maria Brady.  They were married in Beverley, Yorkshire in July 1903 and a son, James Joseph Egan was born that same year.

Michael died Oct 1942 and Anna in Aug 1952, both in Beverley. They had 3 sons in total, all born in Yorkshire but their daughter Julia Anna was born in Ballymanus, Stradbally in April 1906. 

Julia's birth was not registered until 23rd June 1906. A certified copy of her birth names the parents as James Eagan and Maria Eagan (nee Brady), both of Ballymanus.  The informant was Mary Callaghan of Stradbally who was present at the birth.

Julia's mother was also know as Hannah Maria, Ann Maria, Maria, Annie or Annie Maria depending which certificate we look at!  Her father was James Brady, a Miller and we assume he also came from Stradbally area.

I've reached a dead it seems with Michael and Anna Maria in terms of their Irish history so anyone out there who has any information is most welcome to get in touch  :)

IRELAND - Co. Tyrone - Curran Donnelly Dowdell McCafferty Trower.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
Re: EAGAN/EGAN AND BRADY - Ballymanus
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 12 10:46 GMT (UK) »
Do you have years and county of births for Michael and Anna from any English and/or Irish census returns ?

If they were born after the start of civil records in 1864, then the place to search in the BMD Index on FamilySearch for likely births.

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline Kingseat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 12 11:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

Julia's birth was registered in Stradbally, Athy and it says her father James Eagan of Ballymanus.  I've searched for him and all derivations of his name and same with Anna but come up with nothing.  I know exactly when he died but it was in England and they don't include birth details or parental details. He died in 1942 aged 65 so that gives me an idea of his birth year.  Same for Anna who died in 1952 aged 78 but no luck so far.  I've subscribed to Rootsireland.ie today in the hope of finding something there.

Good luck with your research too  :)

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 14:27 GMT (UK) »
Julia's birth was registered in Stradbally, Athy and it says her father James Eagan of Ballymanus. 

This particular Stradbally is in Co. Laois. Athy is the registration district, which although based in Co. Kildare, also covers parts of Co. Laois.

The placenames given on a birth cert indicate place of birth of the child, and current residence of the father - may not be any long-term connection with that area for both Michael and Anna.

Do you have any details from census returns for Michael and Anna - e.g. places of birth ?

Shane
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 14:38 GMT (UK) »
Trying to trace Michael (aka James) Eagan/Egan and Anna Maria Brady.  They were married in Beverley, Yorkshire in July 1903.....

completely forgot to ask the obvious question - what are the father's names and occupations on this marriage cert ?

S.
My Surname Interests

Offline Kingseat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 00:26 GMT (UK) »
Hi Shane,

I haven't found Michael and Anna on a census yet, slippery creatures, but I believe they were both born in Ireland.  It says Ballymanus for Michael on his daughter Julia's birth certificate.  On their marriage certificate, Michael's father also Michael, is a labourer and Anna's father, James Brady is a miller who is deceased.

I've posted in Kildare and Laois to get more coverage but is that a reasonable tactic?

Thanks for your continued help and support.

Offline Kingseat

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 08:06 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

I found Michael and Anna in 1901 Irish census.  They were next door neighbours!  He was Michael Egan living at 3 Derrybrock, Moyana, Vicarstown with widower father and other siblings.  Anna (Maria) lived at 2 Derrybrock with her widowed mother and other siblings.  The address is very near Ballymanus.

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:09 GMT (UK) »
I've posted in Kildare and Laois to get more coverage but is that a reasonable tactic?

To avoid duplicate effort etc, it's best to have just one thread on any particular query. If in doubt about the location, then post in Ireland General - if nessecary the topic can be moved later.

In this case Co. Laois looks correct for this.

Leinster Moderator
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 07 November 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
Shane,

I found Michael and Anna in 1901 Irish census.  They were next door neighbours!  He was Michael Egan living at 3 Derrybrock, Moyana, Vicarstown with widower father and other siblings.  Anna (Maria) lived at 2 Derrybrock with her widowed mother and other siblings.  The address is very near Ballymanus.

census links for reference :

Egan household - Derrybrock townland

Brady household - Derrybrock townland

Michael Egan jnr, age 25 (c1876), born Queens' Co.
Maria Brady, age 26 (c1875), born Queens' Co.

Like Ballymanus, this part of Co. Laois in the Athy Registration district, so if this Michael and Anna born in this area then that's the district to search for on the BMD Index.

There are still some Egans and Bradys in the townlands of Derrybrock and Ballymanus on the 1911 returns, but no sign that I see of this Michael and Maria.

Shane
My Surname Interests