Author Topic: A Brimington household in 1841 - Completed  (Read 3103 times)

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
A Brimington household in 1841 - Completed
« on: Monday 05 November 12 14:16 GMT (UK) »
I'd be grateful for some suggestions as to the circumstances that might have produced the 1841 census return found in Chesterfield, District 12 page 3.
There is an Ashmore family, head William Ashmore (50) and two doors down a Ball family, head Joseph Ball (70). It looks like there is a dwelling between the two with a single occupant, another Joseph Ball aged 3. Clearly this toddler wasn't living alone so I guessed he was actually part of one of the two adjacent households.
The birth certificate for Joseph Ball aged 3 showed that his fathers name was Thomas Ball and his mothers name Frances Ball formerly Ashmore. Neither of his parents appear anywhere in Brimington in 1841 but I have found a Fanny Ashmore of the correct age as a servant in a Chesterfield household. I guess that it is possible that Thomas Ball had died before 1841 and that Fanny (Frances) had reverted to her maiden name.
I can't find the marriage of Thomas and Frances nor can I find a death record for Thomas.
Frances married John Cowlishaw in 1847 where she is named as Frances Ball (widow) of Brimington, father William Ashmore. In the 1851 census Fanny Cowlishaw (Colishaw) is recorded as being a servant in a Chesterfield household, her husband John Cowlishaw in a house in Brimington Common (mis-spelled Johnc Cowlishaw).
Cowlishaw Derbyshire

Offline suzard

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: A Brimington household in 1841
« Reply #1 on: Monday 05 November 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
I think you may have misinterpreted the 1841 census?

Joseph Ball 70 lives next door to William Ashmore not 2 doors down.

William ,Elizabeth , Stephen , Joseph, William, Mary (or may) Ashmore are entered -then there is a single "dash" and Joseph Ball age 3 is entered. Then there is a double"dash" and the Ashmore family.
the single dash before Joseph age 3 indicates that he was at the Ashmore residence on census night but was not living as part of the family - often lodgers are entered this way - possibly the Ashmores were just looking after him .
then there is the double "dash" indicating the start of the next household

Suz
Thornhill, Cresswell, Sisson, Harriman, Cripps, Eyre, Walter, Marson, Battison, Holmes, Bailey, Hardman, Fairhurst Noon-mainly in Derbys/Notts-but also Northampton, Oxford, Leics, Lancs-England
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline atropica

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: A Brimington household in 1841
« Reply #2 on: Monday 05 November 12 17:43 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Suz, I can see that now. Fanny got into the habit of depositing her children with her parents. She was doing the same thing with my Gt Gt Grandmother Elizabeth Cowlishaw (aged 3) in the 1851 Census.
Cowlishaw Derbyshire