Author Topic: Paisley prison records  (Read 2824 times)

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Paisley prison records
« on: Monday 05 November 12 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

this relates to my previous O'Hara post. Daniel O'Hara and Elizabeth wilson are my gt x3s. Their first child Elizabeth was born in Paisley Prison.

Given the fact a lot of this family ended up in the poorhouse at some time in their lives - mainly to die which is very sad, I'd love to know why Daniel and Elizabeth were locked up. It can't have been for long as second child Martha (my gt gt) was born outside of the prison (which sadly is no longer there as it was a handsome building for which Renfrewshire council should get jailed. It's a shopping centre which is not a handsome building but then planning restrictions weren't the same in 1967 as they are now!)

Elizabeth was born 4/2/1857 and Martha 6/3/1859.

I'm assuming here that due to their regular 'acquaintance' with the poorhouse this may have been debt related. However as there were several illegimtate children floating around within this family who knows!

I have previously checked the local newspaper at the Paisley library on a trip home and not found anything. So if anyone has any ideas how I could trace this further, would love to hear

Thanks

Ann ???
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-

Offline kathleenmitchell

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley prison records
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 09:45 GMT (UK) »
Hi Ann
I got my GT x Grannys prison record from NAS, it was not cheap, £100, but for that I received a 2" high A3 copys of all the trial and it was fascinating, she was in Perth in the 1870's, if you send an email to them with all the details, they will come back to you with a price, and they do post abroad, it was my christmas pressie last year
regards
Kathy  ;D
GREENOCK.  Mitchell, Foley, Ferguson, Sweeney, Beckett, Sheekey, Branchfield, McDermid, Crighton, Canavan
LIVERPOOL. Otty, Holmes, Crighton
CO TYRONE, FERMANAGH, ANTRIM, DERRY.   Mitchell, Elliott,Dowds, Mcguire, McFall
COUNTY CARLOW. Foley, Doyle
DENMARK. Holm
WIGTOWNSHIRE.  Ferguson, Milroy, Dickson, Gunlock, Aitcheson/Hutcheson

Offline Ann Baker

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Truth will out! (Finding it another matter!)
    • View Profile
Re: Paisley prison records
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 06 November 12 14:58 GMT (UK) »
Thanks Kathy

I'll email them and it could just help solve the problem of what my OH gets me for Christmas too!

Ann :D
Torrens, Thompson - Tyrone & Fermanagh,Connolly, Campbell - Monaghan & Cavan, McGovern, Carroll, Orr - Ireland <br />Connolly, Fulton, Stirling, Cameron, McKellar, Robertson, McGovern, Torrance, Bisland, Fraser, Hamilton, O'Hara, McAusland, McTaggart , Lambie, Twedale, Hart, Clark(Paisley/Barrhead/Glasgow)<br />McGovern, Liddell - Falkirk<br />Mair, Muir, Carroll, Stewart, Law, Orr - Lanarkshire <br />Torrance - Brisbane<br />Connolly , Robertson- NSW<br />McGovan(?), Robertson , Agnew-