Author Topic: DINAH LYE - MARTOCK- 1841  (Read 1957 times)

Offline lcsnor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
DINAH LYE - MARTOCK- 1841
« on: Monday 30 May 05 16:37 BST (UK) »
Does anyone have access to the Martock census for 1841.  I am interested in my ancestor Dinah(or sim.) Lye.  She would probably be between 45 and 55 in the 1841 census.  Am particularly intersted in who Dinah is living with.
Thanks so much,

Louise
Desperately seeking:
Martha Ann Keily - Limerick/Woolwich mid 1800s
Mary Jane Hawkins - Bridgwater c.1835
George Gulson - Warmfield or Mansfield 1790s

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: DINAH LYE - MARTOCK- 1841
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 04 June 05 16:17 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise

I've had a trawl through Martock 1841 and the surrounding hamlets. I can't find Dinah at all  :(  Admittedly, some of it is extremely faint and difficult to read. Could she have had another surname at the time? Or do you have any suspicions as to other members of the household? (I'm just thinking that someone else's name might be less faint!)

On my way through, I found quite a few Lye families including children for Rebecca, Thomas & Susanna, Mary, George & Lucy, James & Mary, James & Catherine, John & Maria, Robert and Patience, and then an older couple who could have been parents of any of them - Thomas and Susan.

If any of these are of interest, I'll post the details

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline lcsnor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 04 June 05 18:13 BST (UK) »
Angela,
Thanks so much for looking for me.  I suspect Dinah may have remarried.  My guestimate at her age was probably a bit off, looking back.  She should be about 50-60.  She has 3 children bapt. from 1807 - 1812 that the PR makes clear are not the children of her husband John(it says they're base born, but mentions that she's his wife).  I don't know if he's dead then(and can't find his burial in Martock) but he is in 1820 when my ancestor (Isaac who is her son with John I think) is baptised as an adult......  so she's probably remarried.   George may be her son, as may one of the James, but unless she's living with them, sadly that's no help !!!

Again, I really appreciate your help, everyone on Rootschat is so nice.

Louise
Desperately seeking:

Offline AngelaR

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 04 June 05 19:26 BST (UK) »
Hi Louise

Just to be on the safe side, I had another go through Martock to look at all women over about 50. I'm pretty confident that there are no Dinah's in the parish at that point. It looks like she must have died, or moved out of the parish, or remarried, or all three  ;D

Sorry I can't do any better than that, but if you have any other leads to look at, do say!

Best wishes

Angela
Any census information included in this post is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Especially looking for - Sealey, Rogers, Cannings, Box, Sheppard in Wiltshire; Virgin, Slade, Abbott, Saint, Harper, Silverthorn in Somerset; and Virgin, Tarr, Beer in Devon

And most especially the origins of William Cannings,  a Baptist, born abt 1791 in Broughton Gifford, Wiltshire

Offline lcsnor

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Saturday 04 June 05 21:12 BST (UK) »
Thanks Angela for going above & beyond.
Louise :)
Desperately seeking:

Offline meryle

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 25 April 17 04:37 BST (UK) »
hi louise not sure hoe old your queery is but my ggg grandmother was dinah paull born 1779 married john lye  he appears to have died 1815 and she had twin daughters 1815 one being my direct gggrandmother. dinah very quickly married james parsons 1816   very complex... my website is http://mydadroy.tribalpages.com      could be a help      maxwell.maxwell974@gmail.com   cheers  merry