Author Topic: Double Murder 1933, Bromsgrove  (Read 2635 times)

Offline Olleyke

• RootsChat Senior
  • Margaret Ann & Frederick Marston, Emmeline Pike
    • View Profile
Double Murder 1933, Bromsgrove
« on: Wednesday 07 November 12 19:06 GMT (UK) »
I recently found out that a relative of mine, Alfred James Johnson murdered his mother, Gertrude Elizabeth Johnson, and his sister, Hilda Gertrude Johnson, in 1933 in Bromsgrove. I've found many articles on The British Newspaper Archive, but unfortunately I don't have a membership on there.

Just wondering if anyone else has researched about this and could share some information? Is there any books it is featured in?

OlleyKe
BLYTH - Norwich, Bradford
BUCK - Horsham St Faiths
DERBYSHIRE - Lancashire, Leeds
EASTO - Bungay, Diss, Fressingfield, Norwich
EDGE - South Creake
HOLMES - Crostwick, Norwich
JACOBS - Norwich, Tasburgh
LANDAMORE - Old Catton
MANN - Aylsham, Norwich
MURRELL - Norwich
OLLEY - Norwich, Fulham, Great Yarmouth, Hammersmith, Skeyton
PAINTER - Wigan
ROWE - Wigan
SAVORY - Flitcham
SMITH - Norwich
STOREY - Skeyton
UNDERWOOD - Lancashire

Offline Yegvard

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: Double Murder 1933, Bromsgrove
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 08 November 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

There is a very brief mention in The Times newspaper.  The Times Digital Archive, from edition one, is available free on-line, providing you either go through a university or Library Service.

The Bromsgrove branch of The Birmingham & Midland Society for Genealogy & Heraldry (BMSGH) has a link to the Worcestershire Library access point.  You will need your library card number.  Go to www.bromsgrovebmsgh.co.uk/  Scroll down to the Resources Box in the left hand column and click on the link.

If you don't live in Worcestershire other libraries should also have access.

We have a meeting next Tuesday day night if you want to come along.

Mike
HANDS, HANDES, HANNS, HANNES, HANNE, HANNON (Yardley to Bromsgrove)
 MIL(L)WARD, COTTERIL, CLULEE, IZOD, HASSALL, TODD, STRATTON, JAKEMAN, JENNINGS, MOLE, ALLCOCK PINFIELD north Worcestershire
WATERS, Thurzo, Sutherland> Bishopswearmouth, Durham
GARDNER, Solihull;
HUMPHRIES & HUMPHREYS, Meifod, Montgomeryshire>Bilston, STS> Manchester & Texas + Kansas, USA
JAKENS, BIRD, CRAPPER Bury, HIGGINBOTHAM, HORRIDGE, CUNDIFF, Lancs
LEO, Galway/Tipperary, & CARROLL, Carlow Ireland

Offline charisima

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 June 13 18:37 BST (UK) »
Hello There
I noticed this on further research of my Uncle Alfred half brother to my grandfather.
I would love to know which side of the family you are related as a lot have been in touch with me who also didnt have much knowledge of this .
There are only a few notifications in the newspapers to this event.  When he died it was a different story altogether - Alfred died in Broadmoor of Cancer and on this event he was a custodian of the Library which allowed him many entitlements that included ordering items through the post and when they went to clear his room the warder discovered a device on the table switched it on and it was a laser beam. the Mirror and the Sun got hold of the story and declared it the possibility of a mass breakout!!! or the near death experience of the said warder.
From what I have gleaned from members of the family who visited Alfred over the years that he was a very intelligent and modest man but subject to these moments of insanity he was declared to have scizophrenia.  I have some small newspaper cuttings that I have obtained through ancestry and other family members all are similar. He was a church going man who had gone peculiar at the time of the event. The Broadmoor authorities asked my grandfather if he could be released into his care until his death but as He was old this was denied in case of further mental upset and inability to cope.
 There are still members of the family who knew him personally still living in Birmingham but they are now old I have spoken to them regarding Alfred and they admired him he was well liked in the community before this event and by the family afterwards it was very unfortunate that this occurred. It is interesting and so sad. Regards

Offline charisima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 June 13 12:40 BST (UK) »
Hi There Olleyke I put a reply on the site if you havent seen it yet.

Offline charisima

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 14 October 19 16:21 BST (UK) »
hello Did you glean much from mt 2013 reply just wondered as you you didnt reply as to your relationship i am interested in.

regards