Author Topic: Jane Beard (nee Turner) 1849-1922  (Read 2194 times)

Offline Paul Beard

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Jane Beard (nee Turner) 1849-1922
« on: Friday 09 November 12 06:25 GMT (UK) »
My paternal great grandmother, Jane Turner, was born (according to the 1911 England & Wales Census) in Longtown, Scotland abt 1849, so I am assuming she was born just north of the border - maybe around Gretna Green. Jane was definitely Scottish (evidence from her daughter-in-law - my paternal grandmother).

I have no knowledge as to who Jane's parents were or where they lived etc. Circa 1871-1873 she married James Beard, born Gloucester in 1848. There is no trace of a marriage in England so the chances are that they married in Scotland.

Their first child, Rose Ellen Beard, was born in Yorkshire in 1873 and their first son, John David Beard, was born in Cumbria in 1875. The family then moved to Gloucester prior to the 1881 Census.

Any pointers towards date and place that James and Jane married and confirmation of who her parents and siblings were would be much appreciated. Thank you for taking the time and trouble to read this lengthy post.

Regards - Paul

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Jane Beard (nee Turner) 1849-1922
« Reply #1 on: Friday 09 November 12 06:57 GMT (UK) »
Further investigation required Paul. Longtown is in Cumbria - she may have moved over the border to Scotland when young so had a Scottish accent. I see that in 1881 she is born in Scotland, whereas in 1911 you say she says she was born in Longtown (which is fairly specific).

Have you traced Jane through the all the censuses?

Offline Paul Beard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 09 November 12 07:28 GMT (UK) »
Hi - thanks very much for getting back to me. I've checked the Census records from 1881 to 1911 inclusive and her place of birth is shown as follows. 1881 - Scotland, 1891 - Swilland, Gloucestershire, 1901 - Scotland and 1911 - Longtown, Scotland.

Swilland is in Suffolk and there is a Jane Turner, born in 1849, in Suffolk. Having checked the 1891 Census form itself the entry 'Swilland' is clearly a mistake on the part of whoever transcribed it onto digital records as the form states place of birth as Glasgow, Scotland.

I haven't checked prior to 1881 as the 1871 Census shows her husband to be (James Beard) to be single, living in Lymm, Cheshire and working as a stonemason, so uncertain as to which one of many Jane Turner's she may have been.

Her son (James Edward Beard) my paternal grandfather, kept diaries from when he was very young and I have read through them all. Hardly mentions his parents but does say that his mother is Scottish. Beyond that I have no other information.

Am awaiting birth certificates for her two eldest children (born in Yorkshire & Cumbria respectively) to try and find out addresses where Jane and James were living when children were born. Key, I think, to finding out about Jane and her ancestors is for me to trace the marriage record. I have checked all of the England & Wales GRO 'Jane Turner' marriages for 1870 to 1874 and none of them are her and James. I remain convinced that they were married in Scotland.

Offline ev

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Drumkilbo
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 09 November 12 09:00 GMT (UK) »
Hi Paul ,

Can't see a Beard/Turner marriage in Scotland before 1881 on the official website -

http://scotlandspeople.gov.uk/

ev
Census information Crown copyright , All Census information from transcriptions - check original records , Familysearch/IGI is a finding tool only - check original records

Offline Paul Beard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 09 November 12 09:20 GMT (UK) »
Ev

Thanks for the update. I suppose they could have got married at a non-conformist Church but I'm guessing. I assume that the Gretna Green (visitor site where couples eloped to) records are able to be seen or would they be part and parcel of the Scottish records.

Regards

Paul

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 09 November 12 09:44 GMT (UK) »
The 1891 Census very clearly states her place of birth as Glasgow Scotland  ;D
No idea how  the transcription of " Swilland Gloucestershire" was arrived at  8)

RG12 /  Piece: 2016 / Folio: 118 / Page: 11

Cheers
AMBLY

OOPs, see you already discovered that !
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 09 November 12 10:08 GMT (UK) »
I can't see them marrying 'over the anvil' at Gretna either (records available on Ancestry).

Longtown is not in Scotland, although it is near the Scottish border. A lot of variatons in birth place ....  :-\

Offline AMBLY

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 09 November 12 10:20 GMT (UK) »
I can't see for looking  ??? - where was daughter Rose Ellen's birth registered in 1873

Cheers
AMBLY
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

"Now that we're all here, I'm not sure if we're all there...."

Entre los individuos, como entre las naciones, el respeto al derecho ajeno es la paz
 Among individuals, as among nations, respect for the rights of others is peace
    ~Benito Juarez (1806-1872)

Offline Paul Beard

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 09 November 12 10:31 GMT (UK) »
Hi - Rose Ellen Beard was born on 3rd March 1873 in Normanby (near Leeds). I am awaiting her birth certificate so that I can track down an address for her parents and confirm whether or not they were actually married when she was born. Can confirm (a) her date of birth from my grandfather's diaries and (b) place of birth given on 1881 Census.

Regards

Paul