Author Topic: George Albert Butters b.1888  (Read 488 times)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
George Albert Butters b.1888
« on: Sunday 11 November 12 20:47 GMT (UK) »
I know that my great Uncle George Albert Butters died in WW1 in 1917 and I have all the information about this, that is available on line. However he was in the 20th Hussars for seven years previous to WW1 from about 1905 to 1914, and I was wondering where/if I would be able to find out any information as to where he may have travelled in these years and where I might find him in the 1911 census.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks

Online CaroleW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Barney 1993-2004
    • View Profile
Re: George Albert Butters b.1888
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 11 November 12 23:50 GMT (UK) »
The free 1911 index has an entry for George Butter - no s - b 1887 and shown as "Overseas Military"

1911 lookups are not allowed so you would need to buy credits etc to view the entry and determine his whereabouts
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
Carlin (Ireland & Liverpool) Doughty & Wright (Liverpool) Dick & Park (Scotland & Liverpool)

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 12 November 12 07:40 GMT (UK) »
An entry on Wiki for the 20th Hussars states:

In 1903 the 20th Hussars moved from South Africa to Egypt but stayed there for only a year before returning home in 1904, when they were stationed at Brighton with a detachment at Canterbury.

In 1906 the 20th relieved the 14th Hussars at Shorncliffe Camp and remained there until 1908 when they undertook another tour of Ireland, being garrisoned at the Curragh.

After returning from Ireland in 1911 the 20th was sent to Colchester, being in the 5th Cavalry Brigade with the Scots Greys and 12th Lancers, and it was there that they received orders to mobilize on 4 August 1914.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Paco

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 12 November 12 16:37 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for the info about the 20th Hussars whereabouts during 1905/1914.
I omitted to say that my George was born in Mitcham, so the one in the 1911 census isn't him, but thanks for looking anyway. I guess he may have been in Ireland.
regards.
Essex/Dorset/Berks