Author Topic: Catholic Churches  (Read 5474 times)

Offline celticmoon

• RootsChat Extra
  • Sturgis, South Dakota 2000
    • View Profile
Catholic Churches
« on: Wednesday 14 November 12 13:08 GMT (UK) »
Does anyone know if any Catholic Churches in Whitehaven, England have cemetery recs online??? I am looking for Charles/Bridget Keenan that passed abt. 1870-1890. Lived on Catherine St. Thanks for any help.
Carney, Murphy, Keenan, Hackett, Cromie, Carmichael from Belfast, N. Ireland, Dublin and Liverpool.
Bohannon from Scotland.

Online KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Catholic Churches
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 14:56 GMT (UK) »
A quick scan of GenUKI for Cumberland turned up this reference:

http://www.genuki.co.uk/big/eng/CUL/Whitehaven/Bulmer1901.html#ChurchHistory

St Begh's Church, Coach Road is the only Catholic church mentioned.
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 15:35 GMT (UK) »
The Preston Quarter cemetery opened c1856 and most burials would have been conducted there.

St Begh's was built in the 1860s ... St Gregory's chapel, which it replaced, still stands.  The latter had its burial ground - see 1866 map http://www.old-maps.co.uk/maps.html?coords=297555,517507

I know that some people in Whitehaven are transcribing the cemetery records.  Someone on Rootschat a few years ago said they were involved with a project to transcribe the St Begh's registers.  I don't know if that project is still going. :)

St Greg's is now part of a school and the burial ground is under the playground http://tinyurl.com/czur55c  :o
Today I broke my personal record for most consecutive days alive.

Offline alpinecottage

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 15:37 GMT (UK) »
From 1855 all burials were in one of the two municipal cemeteries - follow this link for details -

http://www.whitehavenparish.co.uk/#/famhist/4552995546
Perrins - Manchester and Staffs
Honan - Manchester and Ireland
Hogg - Manchester 19 cent
Anderson - Newcastle mid 19 cent
Boullen - London then Carlisle then Manchester
Comer - Manchester and Galway

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 14 November 12 15:58 GMT (UK) »
An e-mail enquiry to Whitehaven Records Office should be fairly cheap.  At worst, they could say "no". http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/whrec.asp

Offline Scawfell Dyke

• RootsChat Member
  • Seathwaite Miners
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 15 November 12 15:04 GMT (UK) »
I've noticed that about transcribing the St. Begh's records, but it baffles me why anyone would volunteer to do so, if the records are still going to be kept secret. Cleator and Workington records have been filmed.

The church has a website. Some time ago I told a distant cousin in Canada to email them, and they were charged for a transcription of a few records.

Stephen

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 16 December 12 16:19 GMT (UK) »
An e-mail enquiry to Whitehaven Records Office should be fairly cheap.  At worst, they could say "no". http://www.cumbria.gov.uk/archives/recordoffices/whrec.asp

Geoff,

Personally, I would suggest that regardless of the religious denomination, for post-1855 burials that took place in Whitehaven, in most cases the easiest and best way to find the information is from the Whitehaven Cemetery records. As you have intimated to fellow researchers these are accessible at the Whitehaven Records Office, Scotch Street, Whitehaven. In addition, if there is a surviving memorial / headstone almost all of these have been photographed by a volunteer and saved digitally.

For those unable to make a personal visit or ask for a voluntary 'look up' request there is, of course, a fee payable for the staff to do a search (£30). There would usually be a fee, or at least a request for a donation to ask just about any archives, museum, parish church etc to look something up. If someone wants an actual birth, marriage or death certificate then ancestry researchers are required to pay for these. One might then quite reasonably expect to make a donation to the parish office of a church to look up information directly from their church registers.

One thing to bear in mind when trying to find the location of Catholic relatives in the Whitehaven area, particularly after 1880, depending on where they lived they may not be buried in Whitehaven Cemetery. For example, if they lived in the Hensingham district they may have been buried in Hensingham Churchyard or the 'new' Hensingham Cemetery.

If a Catholic family lived in the Moresby / Parton area they may have been buried in Morseby Churchyard (St Bridget's). There were some Catholic burials at Moresby Churchyard before 1880. After that date, as undoubtedly many researchers will already be aware, the Burial Laws Amendment Act allowed burials in a churchyard without having to have received the rites of the Church of England. In the case of celticmoon's ancestors (living on Catherine Street 1870 - 1890) my feeling is the most likely place for interment would have been Whitehaven Cemetery. 

Incidentally, not all the West Cumbrian Catholic parish records have been transcribed and / or donated to the Whitehaven Records Office (e.g. St Joseph's, Frizington). Likewise, there are some Church of England burial registers that have not been transcribed and / or donated to the Records Office (e.g. the Lamplugh parish burial registers after 1887).

Hence, if one wished to look for information in one of these registers it would likely entail either making an appointment to visit the parish in person or request someone from the parish to do it. When I was looking for information from these registers that is what I had to do. Not everything is available online.

Attached photographs: 
St Begh's R.C. Church, Whitehaven.

Offline Geoff-E

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 16 December 12 17:14 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joseph :)

LUX LUCET IN TENEBRIS

bears a striking similarity to the motto of the National Coal Board

E TENEBRIS LUX - out of darkness cometh light.

Just a coincidence, but I thought I'd mention it.  ;)

Offline Jos, Whitehaven

• I am sorry but I have turned off all notifications to my topics
  • RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 16 December 12 18:52 GMT (UK) »
Hello Geoff,

Of course the real origin of the phrase can be found in the prologue of St John's Gospel (John 1:5).

From the Latin Vulgate translation: 
"Et lux in tenebris lucet et tenebrae eam non conprehenderunt"

English translation:
"And the light shineth in darkness: and the darkness did not comprehend it".

Although the original parish church registers (or transcripts) for St Begh's & the Whitehaven Mission have not been deposited at the Whitehaven Records Office, many other documents and books have been deposited or transcribed. Some of the ones related to the history of the mission were deposited by me.

For anyone specifically interested in researching Catholic baptisms, weddings or burials at the St Begh's / Whitehaven Mission it is often possible to obtain this information from some of the other documents that have been deposited at the Whitehaven Records Office. These include the Church Notice Books, Marriage Banns Registers, Mass intention / offering books etc. They do have to be ordered from the store room. It is possible to do this in advance by checking the online catalogue (YDFCRC 3 series):

http://www.archiveweb.cumbria.gov.uk/CalmView/Record.aspx?src=CalmView.Catalog&id=YDFCRC+3

In the past I have referred to some of these for my own research. For example, using one of the Marriage Banns books one can find the names and addresses of the parties wishing to be married, the dates the banns were read out and the date of the marriage (if it took place).   

For researchers who are unable to make a personal visit to the Whitehaven Records Office, they could always use the research fee facility or try and find  volunteer who can visit on their behalf. Obviously it may take a little time to check if the desired information is likely to be found and then how to access it. Nevertheless, if the information can be traced it will have been worthwhile.