Author Topic: Honans  (Read 5729 times)

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Honans
« on: Sunday 18 November 12 01:52 GMT (UK) »
Looking for information of the Honan's of Waterford.My G G G Grandfather Michael was 24 when he was tried in Waterford and sent to Australia with his 2 brothers Patrick and Thomas. Looking for the area they were actually from and any information on their Father Michael senior and his wife. I have a transcript of the trial which took place in Waterford in 1834 . An attack was made on the Police inspector Samuel Croker.He was wanting the father to give himself up as there was a warrent for his arrest "it was a shame he was evading justice and if he surrendered himself he was certain he would be bailed"Quote from Transcript. The area this altercation took place was on the road to Portlaw.  He refused to give himself up.The 3 sons tried to help their father and ended up been sent to Australia. Michael was born 1811 County Waterford. Is Portlaw a help as the transcript mentions an actual road so I am assuming they were living in the area . What was the warrant for and did Michael senior go to jail as well. There is no record that I have seen of the father been sent away as well.plus I would like to know what the warrent was for. Any ideas as to where I could look to find this information on warrants etc in the 1800s.I am trying to get a death certificate as hopefully more info will be available on this . Thanks Hereford
Dawsons,potts,medwins -england
Mcilroy,greer,cannon,Turner-Ireland
wallace,andrew,kemp,Carruthers-scotland
Honan-Australia
New zealand-To name a few names

Offline GAJM1

• -
  • RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Honans
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 18 November 12 19:20 GMT (UK) »
There is a Michael Honan baptised in 1810 in the parish of Trinity Without. His father is Michael Honan and mother is Ellen.

This record is on

www.waterford.rootsireland.ie

Its a pay per view website so to see the full record will have to pay a fee.

There is also a Thomas Honan baptised in 1805 in Trinity Without father Michael Honan and mother Ellen.

These are worth keeping in mind but probably Australian death records are best way to establish the parents.

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Sunday 18 November 12 20:54 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your information. There is quite a possibility that this is my Michael.  Michael had a daughter in Australia named Ellen. I have contacted a relation to this family in Australia asking for death information if they have it but any clue is a good clue. Thanks again Hereford.
Honan-Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 18 November 12 21:19 GMT (UK) »
Portlaw is a bit to the west of Waterford city, so in a separate parish.

Is that mentioned as a place of residence or origin for your Horans ?

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 18 November 12 21:30 GMT (UK) »
just read your post in a bit more detail, the incident took place '...on the road to Portlaw...', so probably could be anywhere from the city centre outwards... presumably close to where the family lived.

Trinity Without is to the north west of the city, and moving out to the west the next parish would be Ballybricken, then Portlaw. Both have records going back to the early 1800s at least.

S.
Remember to check the Resource boards :  Ireland, Dublin, Antrim & Cork (and stickies at the top of other county sub-forums)    
My Surname Interests

Offline hereford

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:11 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your information.. He had been to Carrickberg to see the magistrate but no one according to the transcript was there so he left and  he met the police inspector from Carrick while he was on the road to port law. So I really feel that that is the area where they were living .Hereford
Honan-Australia

Offline shanew147

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • Dublin, Ireland
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 18 November 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
The Carrickbeg I've heard of, is the section of the town of Carrick-on-Suir south of the river Suir - i.e. in Co. Waterford.

Carrick-on-Suir is about 20km north west of Portlaw. Portlaw in turn is about the same distance from Waterford city.

Shane
My Surname Interests

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 23 November 12 12:20 GMT (UK) »
http://members,pcug.org.au/~ppmay/convicts.htm

Michael born 1811, Patrick 1815, Thomas 1806 all Grievous Assault

Ship Hero (1835)

Offline rathmore

• RootsChat Aristocrat