Author Topic: Doncaster St George Baptisms c 1760 WOOD  (Read 564 times)

Offline suelaw1954

• RootsChat Member
  • Sue, Feb 1955. So cute, what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Doncaster St George Baptisms c 1760 WOOD
« on: Monday 19 November 12 09:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks to all who take the time to read and possibly help with this request.

My ggggg-grandparents, William Oldfield and Frances Wood, were married in Doncaster St George, 1st January 1781 by licence. William was stated to be of Brodsworth and the couple baptised their first child there on 6 Jan 1782 before moving to London, William Snr having been baptised in Brodsworth 3 Oct 1756. No information is given as to the place of origin of Frances Wood and no age is given in her burial entry in London.

There is a Frances Wood baptised at Wath upon Dearne 23 Feb 1762. From other baptisms it seems that the family lived at the hamlet of Hoober. However there is also a burial of Frances Wood, age 20, on 5 Mar 1782 at Wentworth, a chapelry of Wath near Hoober which I think eliminates her.

Given that the marriage took place in Doncaster, there is a possibility that Frances was baptised there. Would anybody be able to check the Doncaster St George Baptisms for me. I'm afraid I can't specify the date any closer than probably between 1755 and 1765.

thanks again,

Sue down under
 8)
Common(s) - Sussex, London, Northumberland
Spall - London, Suffolk (Debenham, Cretingham)
Goddard - Sussex (Brighton, Newtimber, Edburton)
Piller - London, Norfolk
Shadbolt - Herts (Codicote, Datchworth)
Young - Sussex (Brighton)
Rose - Army, London
Beckwith - London, Norfolk

Offline KLM

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Doncaster St George Baptisms c 1760 WOOD
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 24 November 12 15:06 GMT (UK) »
PR's show that the marriage was by banns and NOT licence The document says that Frances was "of this parish"She made her mark ie did not sign and the witnesses were Mary Kay(?) and John Lindley(?)
A fire at St Georges( 1854) made some of the records difficult to read.The town of Pontefract is 12-15 miles from the area which you have mentioned and the following appears to be relevant:-Frances Wood Baptised 15/6/1755;Pontefract St Giles;father Richard Wood...blacksmith.Pontefract and District FHS,I believe,hold copies of this document.
Good luck
Malone...Cheshire & Lancashire.Boswell...Bucks and Hunts.Lister...Yorkshire and Lancashire.

Offline suelaw1954

• RootsChat Member
  • Sue, Feb 1955. So cute, what went wrong?
    • View Profile
Re: Doncaster St George Baptisms c 1760 WOOD
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 24 November 12 20:23 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for that. It explains why Doncaster is a notable omission in both the Yorkshire Parish Register Society and Doncaster & District transcriptions.

I'll check out the Pontefract Frances (to make sure she is "available") and won't bother with the St George Doncaster original PR films (go for the BTs instead).

Thanks for helping,

Sue  ;)

Common(s) - Sussex, London, Northumberland
Spall - London, Suffolk (Debenham, Cretingham)
Goddard - Sussex (Brighton, Newtimber, Edburton)
Piller - London, Norfolk
Shadbolt - Herts (Codicote, Datchworth)
Young - Sussex (Brighton)
Rose - Army, London
Beckwith - London, Norfolk