Author Topic: 1861 census canada nova scotia  (Read 2072 times)

Offline Lorraine Brunt

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
1861 census canada nova scotia
« on: Thursday 22 November 12 07:29 GMT (UK) »
Hi I am looking for a William White born Barnsley England on the 1861 census for Canada nova scotia

according to his army records which only covered his re enlistment in 1868  to another battalion

he served 5 1/2 years in Canada in the 62nd foot his wife should be with him called Ann He would be in his early 20's and Ann a little younger

Any Help App

Thank You

Lorraine

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: 1861 census canada nova scotia
« Reply #1 on: Thursday 22 November 12 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Edited to add: duplicate post ...

http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,624872.0.html

You may find this link of interest. Soldier's documents are available.

http://freepages.genealogy.rootsweb.ancestry.com/~crossroads/regiments/

Did William and Ann have any children b. in Canada? If so, can you give us their names? It appears the regiment may have spent some time in Quebec and births of children b. here may be traceable. And do you know Ann's maiden name?

PB
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lorraine Brunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Thursday 22 November 12 17:04 GMT (UK) »
Hi PB

I do not know if they had children in Canada I was hoping they had as after the marriage in Barnsley in 1857 they have vanished until 1872  then my grandfather was born in 1875 but cannot find any other children  as  Ann  nee Wilson  died in 1879  and my grandfather was abandoned by his father   (The said William White) he was left with a great aunt.  There should be other children after 16 years of marriage . 

Thank You   Lorraine

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 22 November 12 17:22 GMT (UK) »
More questions  ;D.

Where was the family in 1872?

And do you have them in the 1871 census?

Did you see my comments on the other thread re the 1861 Nova Scotia Canada census?
We search for information but it is up to the thread owner to verify that it is correct.

British Census copyright The National Archives; Canadian Census copyright Library and Archives Canada

Offline Lorraine Brunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 22 November 12 18:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi PB

I have his service records for 1868 to 1871  reg no 1209  he rejoined the army in the 40th foot

But on the records it states he did 5 1/2 years in Canada and nova Scotch with the 62nd foot which could be a different reg number

I do not have him on the 1871 census he was not discharged until June of 1871  poss have Ann his wife as a housekeeper in Barnsley mar but no husband 

according to the copy of the papers I have for 1868 to 1871 he was entered in the regimental defaulters book 7 times and court martial ed 2 times for dessertion that's within 3 years of re joining so  He was a bit of a Lad I think

Yes sorry I did not see the reply before I posted this but  Thank You

Offline polarbear

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 22 November 12 19:16 GMT (UK) »
The fact that William's record indicates he served in Canada AND Nova Scotia may have some significance. Nova Scotia was not part of Canada itself in the years you are looking at. (In fact, Canada only became a country in 1867.) What was known as Canada in 1861 comprised Canada East (Quebec) and Canada West (Ontario). So it appears to me that he was also stationed somewhere other than Nova Scotia for part of his time in Canada. If it was Quebec, B(baptisms only)MDs are available in the Drouin Collection through Ancestry. Registration did not start in Ontario until 1869 and there is very little on line wrt baptisms prior to this.

Your local public library may subscribe to Ancestry Library Edition .... this would give you access to Canadian records.

Too bad about the 1871 census.

Have you tried looking sideways for rellies of either William or Ann who might have any children with them in 1871? One would certainly have expected them to have some prior to 1875 although they just may not have had any until later in life.

PB

Offline Lorraine Brunt

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 22 November 12 20:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi

Yes thank you for the info  have been at my family tree for about 35 years and extracted every white and wilson from the census returns from 1841 to 1911

did not know he was in the army until his death in 1891 which stated he was a miner but formerly a private soldier  have everything before and after the army years .

Thanks again  will keep on trying

Regards Lorraine