Author Topic: No mother on Baptism record c.1768  (Read 2766 times)

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
No mother on Baptism record c.1768
« on: Friday 23 November 12 05:53 GMT (UK) »
I am sure that I have found my 5x great grandfather's baptism St Mary's, Rotherhithe, Surrey.  His father is listed, but not mother, which is what has puzzled me.

John "Legerwood' baptised 31/7/1768 son of Thomas, aged 9 months. Blank space for mother's name.
(also known as John Spice Ledgerwood d. 1830 Hammersmith).  John's eldest children were called Thomas and Grace.

Have also found siblings:
Thomas Ledgerwood baptised in 1765, St Dunstan's, Stepney, aged 2 days, address: Poplar. Father: Thomas (a Mariner) Mother: Grace. No further trace of him.

William Spice Ledgerwood baptised 10 Nov 1771, St George in the East, Address: Ratcliff Highway, aged 9 months 4 days Father: Thomas (a Mariner) Mother: Grace
(also died Hammersmith, I think, as William Ledgerwood in 1831).

Have also found a land tax record for Thomas Ledgerwood, Precinct of St Katherine by the Tower in 1767. I know that these churches all have strong maritime links, but I am interested in how John came to be baptised across the river, with no mother present???

Don't know if anyone has any thoughts on this... ???

Offline BumbleB

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: No mother on Baptism record c.1768
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 November 12 08:03 GMT (UK) »
My first thought was that the particular vicar did not record mothers' names.  However, having looked at the parish register entry, I wonder whether the Curate had forgotten to note the mother's name at the time, and therefore left the gap when the records were written up.  Only a thought  :-\
Transcriptions and NBI are merely finding aids.  They are NOT a substitute for original record entries.
Remember - "They'll be found when they want to be found" !!!
If you don't ask the question, you won't get an answer.
He/she who never made a mistake, never made anything.
Archbell - anywhere, any date
Kendall - WRY
Milner - WRY
Appleyard - WRY

Offline nanny jan

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Russian John
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 12 09:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I've transcribed some Dorset baptism registers and the early ones just listed the name of the father.......no mention of the mother.  ::)

Nanny Jan
Howard , Viney , Kingsman, Pain/e, Rainer/ Rayner, Barham, George, Wakeling (Catherine), Vicary (Frederick)   all LDN area/suburbs  Ottley/ MDX,
Henman/ KNT   Gandy/LDN before 1830  Burgess/LDN
Barham/SFK   Rainer/CAN (Toronto) Gillians/CAN  Sturgeon/CAN (Vancouver)
Bailey/LDN Page/KNT   Paling/WA (var)

All census look-ups are crown copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Billyblue

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 12 13:06 GMT (UK) »
I have found many early baptisms list the child as son or daughter of "John Smith" with no mother mentioned!
Did people think the mothers had nothing to do with it ??? ??? ???

Dawn M
Denys (France); Rossier/Rousseau (Switzerland); Montgomery (Antrim, IRL & North Sydney NSW);  Finn (Co.Carlow, IRL & NSW); Wilson (Leicestershire & NSW); Blue (Sydney NSW); Fisher & Barrago & Harrington(all Tipperary, IRL)

Online rosie99

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • ALFIE 2009 - 2021 (Rosbercon Sky's the Limit)
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Friday 23 November 12 13:24 GMT (UK) »
My first thought was that the particular vicar did not record mothers' names.  However, having looked at the parish register entry, I wonder whether the Curate had forgotten to note the mother's name at the time, and therefore left the gap when the records were written up.  Only a thought  :-\

Having looked at the register I would agree with BumbleB  ;) 

Rosie  :)

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Friday 23 November 12 13:24 GMT (UK) »
Well, I realise it is impossible to really know. There seems to be five baptisms recorded that day as you can see the original image online and only one mother left off.

I am grateful for very helpful information that I have found with the London baptisms, I also just made a serendipitous discovery of an newspaper article which quotes the said John at length as a witness in the 19th century version of a hit and run, with a child victim.

I am finding all this Docklands ancestry very interesting.  

Offline Sue Ledgerwood Reed

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 12 May 24 19:30 BST (UK) »
I am also investigating Thomas and John Spice Ledgerwood as a direct ancestor of mine. I am stuck at the same point! This is all very useful thanks all x

Offline Nova67

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 12 May 24 23:13 BST (UK) »
Hello, Do you need some help? Welcome  to Roots Chat. I only clicked on this because I saw that you had Ledgerwood in your name!

Offline trish1120

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Happy me
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 13 May 24 14:35 BST (UK) »
Possible Marriage;
21 May 1764 Axminster, Devon
Thomas LEGERWOOD to Grace COLLIN or COLLIER

I looked for a Collier/Spicer Marriage as a bit of lateral thinking with no luck.

But I did find a William Spicer Colyer born c 1782 Dover on Census
Married twice, 2nd time to Mary Auterac 1846 Westminster.

Worth noting in case links later.

Trish :)
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Cummins, Miskelly(IRELAND + NZ) ,Leggett (SFK + NFK ENGLAND + NZ),Purdy ( NBL ENGLAND + NZ ), Shaw YKS, LANCs + NZ), Holdsworth(LINCS +LANCS + NZ), Moloney, Dean, Fitzpatrick, ( County Down,IRE) Newby(NBL.ENG, Costello(IRE), Ivers, Murray(IRE),Reay(NBL.ENG) Reid (BERW.SCOTLAND)