Author Topic: Passenger List "Saldanha" 1863  (Read 11360 times)

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Passenger List "Saldanha" 1863
« on: Friday 23 November 12 10:19 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

I am trying to find the passenger list of the steamship Saldanha which arrived in Keppel Bay, Queensland in 1863. Another researcher has William Williams, b. 1842, in Wales arriving on this ship and I would like to be able to confirm this info.
But on the Queensland State Archives site they don't list this ship and don't have a digital image of the passenger list although they do have the ships voyage the previous year.

I would really appreciate any ideas on where to find the passenger list.

regards Janine.
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: Passenger List "Saldanha" 1863
« Reply #1 on: Friday 23 November 12 13:49 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

Unfortunately many of the Qld passenger records for the 1860's were lost in the 1893 floods.  Do you think this person may have another source for their info such as an obituary or family bible?

Debra  :)

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 23 November 12 13:54 GMT (UK) »
According to this, there is a passenger list.

http://www.gould.com.au/They-Came-Direct-Saldanha-1863-p/joh060.htm

I am having trouble finding any of the ships on film number M1710 in the indexes.  Maybe send off an enquiry to Qld Archives and see what they say.

http://members.iinet.net.au/~perthdps/shipping/mig-qld1.htm

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Friday 23 November 12 22:33 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

Thanks for the reply. The info was passed onto me through a family member who had got it from another distant family member  etc but I don't have the original researchers contact. So I am trying to verify the details. He writes:

having landed at Keppel Bay, near Rockhampton, a month earlier (30 September) on board the steam-ship  Saldanha, after a voyage of 140 days from Liverpool, England.  He was 20 years of age (19 years on the ship’s Passenger List).

So it would appear that there is a passenger list available somewhere. I will do as you suggest and contact the Qld Archives and see what they say.

Thanks Janine.
David Wallace HAY, Helena DAVIDSON , Alexander HUTTON , Elizabeth JOHNSTON, Arthur JOHNSON, Agnes McPAKE, Mary McPEAKE, Mary JOHNSTON, Margaret JOHNSTON, Mildred Rose HARRISON, Francis HARRISON, Mary SOUTH, William WILLIAMS, Charles DUFF, Grace LESLIE

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 25 November 12 00:56 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

Do let us know how you get on with Qld Archives as I am sure that all ships from that particular microfilm are missing from the indexes.  I am interested to know if there is another reason other than being mistakenly omitted.

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 25 November 12 01:46 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debra,

I have lodged my inquiry and they said they will give me an answer in 10 working days so I will let you know.

cheers Janine

Offline tigerquoll

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 07:20 GMT (UK) »
Hi,

The Queensland archives replied to my query -
"Thank you for your enquiry in relation to obtaining the passenger list for the steamship Saldanha, 1863.

Although the Index to Ships does contain an entry for the 1863 voyage of the Saldanha, departing 16 May 1863 and arriving 9 October 1863, Queensland State Archives does not hold the passenger list within its collection. Queensland State Archives does not hold all the immigration records for this period; the records for the 1860s are incomplete because they were inundated in the 1893 flood"

It would be good if they had a note to say which passenger lists are not available on the site. If there isn't a passenger list available then I wonder where the original researcher got the idea that William Hugh Williams came out on this vessel.

cheers Janine

Offline Dundee

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 12 02:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi Janine,

I think the problem is with the particular series that the indexes were compiled from and film number M1710 is a different type of record and not part of that series.  It does seem a bit odd seeing as it contains information for ships arriving in the 1860's and the passenger lists for those years were the most affected by the flood.

I have found that the names from the Saldanah and other ships on that microfilm have been indexed by Ancestry.  I cannot find anyone with the surname WILLIAM/WILLIAMS.  Sometimes these lists are quite difficult to follow and hard to identify the correct ship's name, it just depends on how they are set out.  I wonder if they have identified the wrong ship?

You wrote:
"having landed at Keppel Bay, near Rockhampton, a month earlier (30 September) on board the steam-ship  Saldanha, after a voyage of 140 days from Liverpool, England.  He was 20 years of age (19 years on the ship’s Passenger List)"

I have been through all the possible name combinations that I can think of and cannot find any likely candidate in any years on any ship who was aged 19 on the passenger list.  Of course I wouldn't be happy unless I had seen the actual document myself.

If you can't get access to the film at a library, the only thing that I can suggest is to ask them if you can purchase a copy of the passenger list even though it is not in the indexes.  Details are here  http://www.archives.qld.gov.au/Researchers/Indexes/Immigration/Pages/Immigration1848.aspx#costs

Debra  :D

Offline dwhhwd

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Tuesday 31 March 15 07:23 BST (UK) »
Janine,

If you are still interested in the passenger list for the Saldanha, some info can be obtained from the list of Land Orders issued by the Queensland Government held by the Queensland State Archives. I obtained a listing for one of my ancestors and the list includes the ship that they arrived on. As most people on the same ship obtained Land Orders at the same time, it is almost as good as a passenger list. Funnily enough, the page that had my ancestor also listed William Williams. I'll attach the appropriate two pages for you. Hope you are still after this info and find the attached interesting.

Regards

David Henderson