Author Topic: One Family - Baptisms in multiple Parishes  (Read 2350 times)

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Re: One Family - Baptisms in multiple Parishes
« Reply #9 on: Monday 26 November 12 09:02 GMT (UK) »
Hi lizdb,

I used the Parish Locator program (PARLOC) and searched for Burton Overy. PARLOC gives a list of the parishes around a town/city for various distances.

Unfortunately, I have no idea where the family resided, so I can not tell if they were centrally located in the Parish or located on the periphery.

Maps are good at giving locations, but unless you have terrain contours showing, it's hard to understand whether you are walking up-hill, or sliding down-hill. Thus, effort is only an estimate!

My question has basically been answered - the responses to date seem to indicate that there was no "church law/requirement" that 'made' them swap between the two Parishes.

Megan in Sydney
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan

Offline GrahamSimons

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #10 on: Monday 26 November 12 09:37 GMT (UK) »
Maps are good at giving locations, but unless you have terrain contours showing, it's hard to understand whether you are walking up-hill, or sliding down-hill. Thus, effort is only an estimate!

You might find the Ordnance Survey's Get-a-Map useful: http://getamap.ordnancesurvey.co.uk/getamap/frames.htm
Simons Barrett Jaffray Waugh Langdale Heugh Meade Garnsey Evans Vazie Mountcure Glascodine Parish Peard Smart Dobbie Sinclair....
in Stirlingshire, Roxburghshire; Bucks; Devon; Somerset; Northumberland; Carmarthenshire; Glamorgan

Offline Megatill

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #11 on: Monday 26 November 12 09:43 GMT (UK) »
Hi GrahamSimons,

Thanks for the Ordnance Survey website - I'll check it out!

However, I don't know how valuable it will be for this particular thread.

As I've said, "I have no idea where the family resided, so I can not tell if they were centrally located in the Parish or located on the periphery."

Thus, a map is moot in this instance.

Megan in Sydney
Australia/Scotland: Turnbull, Mackie/Mackay/McKey, Wilson
Australia/England: Hardy, Miller, Turnbull, Comber, Mackie, Tilley
England: Barratt/Barrett, Berridge, Bird, Booth, Bostorne, Buszard/Bussard, Hill, Jacomb, Jarvis, Marston, Miller, Noon, Persival, Roe, Smalley, Tilley, Weston, Wheat, Witsey
US: Tilley
England Counties: Leicestershire, Essex
Scotland: Roxburghshire
Wales: Llewellyns, Jones, Gower, Bowen & Morgan

Offline Sloe Gin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #12 on: Monday 26 November 12 11:31 GMT (UK) »
Unfortunately, I have no idea where the family resided, so I can not tell if they were centrally located in the Parish or located on the periphery.

In that case, it's quite feasible that they moved about and that they did actually live in the respective parishes at the time of the baptisms.  If William was a farm worker, he may have worked on different farms and lived in tied cottages.
UK census content is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk  Transcriptions are my own.