Author Topic: 94 Coy RASC  (Read 963 times)

Offline JDB307

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
94 Coy RASC
« on: Sunday 25 November 12 10:56 GMT (UK) »
I'm trying to put together the story of my late father's war service.  Like many others he was always reluctant to speak about his wartime experiences.  He served with 94 Coy RASC (they were a bulk petrol transport company) and I have but a few details gleaned from his army service record.  I think that they were based in Colchester prior to joining the Normandy invasion.  94 Coy landed at Arromanches on 6th July 1944 then turned west to Port-en-Bessin which had been captured intact by 47 Commando on 7th June.  This harbour was used to land most of the petrol which was initially filled into Jerri-cans and later was piped to the roadheads (supply dumps).

Following the break-out from Normandy 94 Coy followed the armoured divisions into Belgium.  My Dad was, for some time, at Gistel, near Ostend, eventually crossing into Germany at Emerich and ended up near Wuppertal.

Can anyone tell me please how I can fill in the details of the route that 94 Coy took through France, Belgium, Holland and Germany?  I imagine that the unit war diary would cover this but they are at TNA in Kew which is inaccessible to me.  I find their website very difficult to navigate and have yet to receive an answer to any of the messages I have sent.   Neither can I afford to hire a researcher.

Regards,  Jack
BLYTH of Wemyss, Markinch, Dysart, Kirkcaldy
Also MACKIE, SIMPSON, CARSTAIRS, CHRISTIE, LEITCH, DUNCAN, PENMAN, LAMBERT, BEVERIDGE, GIBSON, RENWICK

NEWBY of Sweffling, Benhall, Peasenhall area of Suffolk