Author Topic: Looking for the Hoare family  (Read 5306 times)

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • http://www.rootschat.com/links/01ruz/
    • View Profile
Looking for the Hoare family
« on: Tuesday 27 November 12 11:45 GMT (UK) »
Henry Hoare, born in London about 1838/9, son of Henry Hoare and Ann Quartermain, married in Edinburgh in 1867 Margaret Ann Keith, born 1842 in Brechin, daughter of Alexander Keith and Helen Wyllie.

5 children born in Edinburgh: Margaret Quartermain 1867, Mary Wyllie 1868, Harry 1870, Louisa b and d 1872, Alfred 1873. I think Margaret Q died unmarried in Chichester in 1955; Mary married John Henry Caudell and died in Maidenhead in 1934; Harry died in Eton RD in 1897 and Alfred may have died in Devon in 1891.

They took on the Skindles Hotel, Taplow, and were there in the 1881 and 1891 census. Margaret Ann is listed in 1881 but in 1891 Henry is a widower. In 1901 he is retired and living in Taplow with daughter Margaret Q. He died in 1924 in Eton RD. I have, so far, failed to find Margaret Ann's death.

I have the 1881, 1891 and 1901 census, the marriage certificate and all the birth certificates. The death dates are from FreeBMD.

Can anyone point me towards any confirmation that it was Alfred who died in 1891, and to Margaret Ann's death? Where might I find an obituary for Henry or any of his family? Is there a record of a gravestone?
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
Re: Looking for the Hoare family
« Reply #1 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 11:59 GMT (UK) »
Henry is listed as a Widower in 1881, so Margaret must have died between 1873-1881. I can't see an England/Wales death entry that would match - I would guess she died in Scotland ?

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Wednesday 28 November 12 16:15 GMT (UK) »
You're right, I was getting my census years mixed up. Thank you for your help.

I have also failed to find her death in Scotland. There is a death of a 27-year-old Margaret Hoare or Keith or Bisset in 1890, but this is an illegitimate daughter of Margaret Ann, born before she married Henry Hoare - and her death certificate says her mother is Margaret Keith, widow of Henry Hoare, hotel waiter. Knowing from the English records that Henry was still living in 1901, and that he didn't die until 1924, this looks decidedly fishy.

Would still be interested in obituary/gravestone/confirmation of Alfred's death, however.
Never trust anything you find online (especially submitted trees and transcriptions on Ancestry, MyHeritage, FindMyPast and other commercial web sites) unless it's an image of an original document - and even then be wary because errors can and do occur.

Offline AntonyMMM

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Researcher (retired) and former Deputy Registrar
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Thursday 29 November 12 08:23 GMT (UK) »
In that case, I wonder whether they had split up and each decided it was more "respectable" to claim they had been widowed ?

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Thursday 29 November 12 08:45 GMT (UK) »

I think Margaret Q died unmarried in Chichester in 1955

She did....

Probate Oxford 5 Oct 1955 to John Barker Maudsley Solicitor Effects £10193 10s 8d
Margaret Quartermaine Hoare spinster of  84 Fort Road Newhaven Sussex died 31 Jul 1955 at Crawley Road Nursing Home Chichester

Henry was still living in 1901, and that he didn't die until 1924

Doesn't mention here that he's widowed  ???

Probate Oxford 20 Dec 1924 to Margaret Quatermaine Hoare spinster & George Brook Knight Solicitor Effects £10902 9s 9d
Henry Hoare of Thames Bank Taplow Buckinghamshire died 19 Nov 1924

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 29 November 12 09:01 GMT (UK) »
Thank you, AntonyMMM and Ladyhawk - that confirms that I have the right dates of death for Margaret Q and Henry.

Offline Ladyhawk

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Thursday 29 November 12 09:32 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Margaret Ann Hoare nee Keith on 1871 & 1861 census ?

1871 Scotland
Henry Hoare Head Age: 31 born London Head occ Hotel Manager
Address: 91 Princes St (Balmoral Hotel)
Registration number: 685/2 Registration district: St Andrew Civil parish:   Edinburgh St George
County:Midlothian ED:   1 Household schedule number:10 Line:8 Roll:CSSCT1871_159
plus 18 servants

1851 Scotland
Margt Ann Keith daughter Age:9 Brechin, Forfarshire
Father's Name:   Alexr Keith 32 Fearn occ Butler Mother's Name:   Helen Wyllie 30 Lethnot
Address: Lunan Schoolhouse, siblings William Keith 12 Lethnot , David Keith 7 Brechin

for info. - you may have these details already

1871 Scotland
Helen Keith Head Age:51 Lethmot, Forfar occ Lodging House Keeper
Registration number:   685/2 Registration district:St Andrew Civil parish:Edinburgh St George
ED:4 Household schedule number: 64 Line:6 Roll:SSCT1871_159
In household are:
Wm Keith 32 oc Clerk , Eliz Blair Keith 19 Lunan occ Dressmaker, Alexander Keith 18, John M Keith 11, C B Beer 21

1881 Scotland
Helen Wylisor Keith Head Age: 61
Registration number:685/2 Registration district:   St Andrew Civil parish:   Edinburgh St George
ED:   100 Household schedule number:37Line:22 Roll:cssct1881_286
In household
Eliza B Keith 29, Henry F Keith 25 plus 3 lodgers

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 29 November 12 10:12 GMT (UK) »
Do you have Margaret Ann Hoare nee Keith on 1871 & 1861 census ?

Thank you, yes, I have all the Scottish census data and all the relevant certificates.

Helen Wyllie, wife of Alexander Keith, was the sister of my great-great-grandmother. I can account fully for all their eight children except Margaret Ann, as above; William, who is possibly the William Keith who died in Islington in 1875; and Henry Francis, born 1855, present until 1881 census, then disappears.

Offline Forfarian

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 22 August 19 12:04 BST (UK) »
Helen Wyllie, wife of Alexander Keith, was the sister of my great-great-grandmother. I can account fully for all their eight children except Margaret Ann, as above; William, who is possibly the William Keith who died in Islington in 1875; and Henry Francis, born 1855, present until 1881 census, then disappears.
Update - I now have confirmation of the deaths of Margaret Ann in Edinburgh in 1875 (certificate) and William in Islington in the same year (newspaper announcement).

Only Henry Francis remains to be found.