Author Topic: Quinn of Donegal  (Read 3984 times)

Offline Quinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
Quinn of Donegal
« on: Tuesday 31 May 05 23:10 BST (UK) »
Looking for anyone related to the Quinn family of Donegal.  Majority of family located in Stranorlar, Ballintra, Laghey, Rosilly Barr, Stranass, Rafoarty.

My great grandfather, James Quinn was born 1828 in Ballintra.  Father's name - John Quinn (believe to be John James Quinn).  Mother - Bridget Murphy.

Other family members known were Donal Quinn, born 1814, William James Quinn, born 1836.  Some other siblings that we know of were Patrick Quinn, Edward Quinn, Katherine Quinn, Mary Ann Quinn.

Looking for ANYONE who might be researching the Quinn family of Donegal.  Please contact me.  We are stuck at finding any more information concerning John James Quinn and Bridget Murphy.
Quinn of County Donegal
Overn family of County Down and Fermanagh
Teague family of Ireland
Roe family
Ussery family
Stockton family

Offline harewoodhouse

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
Re: Quinn of Donegal
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 14 July 07 02:17 BST (UK) »
did they have any quinns who lived in london ? I have a large quinn family  full of edwards , james etc ran a fish shop in the haymarket...I dont know where abouts in ireland they came from...sue
cooke's, harrop's, jackson's, hamer's, walkers
wragg's, brown's, pickersgill, worstencroft,cavanah's

Offline Quinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 14 July 07 02:32 BST (UK) »
Yes, they sure did.  And there are still quite a few there today.  Am in the process of contacting this branch now.

As I understand it, they migrated to the Ealing (? or Easling?) area, and there is still family in this area now.

I have just received a bunch more information on the family and am in the process of getting all the Patrick's, Edwards, James, and John's in right order.

You can email if you'd like - it's a rather large file.

Patty Quinn
Quinn of County Donegal
Teague family of Ireland
Roe family
Ussery family
Stockton family

Offline Quinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 14 July 07 06:08 BST (UK) »
The Quinns who immigrated to London were of the Eddie Quinn family.

This Edward was from the Ought/Rosilly Bar area of Donegal.

We are most likely talking the same family here.  I can take the line back to about 1700 so far, and we are working on getting it back farther.  We already have some very good leads, thanks to family still living in Ireland today.

Patty
Quinn of County Donegal
Teague family of Ireland
Roe family
Ussery family
Stockton family

Offline Christopher

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
  • 1939 - 2009
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 14 October 07 13:00 BST (UK) »
Hi Patty,

Did any of your Donegal Quinns head towards Tyrone? I know a father and son named Pat (obviously Patrick) in Omagh. I'm not certain how many boys Pat, snr has in his family. I know Pat, jnr has a brother.

Christopher 

Offline Quinn

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 14 October 07 15:30 BST (UK) »
Hi Christopher -

As a matter of fact, we are fairly sure they originated in the Omagh area.  As near as we can tell from talking with family who still live in Omagh, some of the family migrated down into Donegal (guesstimated time period - 1700-1750)  Then a few of those went "back home" in the early to mid 1800's.

We do have some additional information to add that may help, also.

John Quinn (my g-g-grandfather) was named John Patrick Quinn.  G-g-grandmother was Bridget Nancy Murphy.  The paperwork associated with the family that is here in the States have them listed as John and Bridget.  But everyone in Ireland called them Patrick and Nancy.

Nancy was from the Leghowney area.

Yes - there is a chance that the Patrick you have is most likely mine if he was around Omagh - or from the looks of it anywhere between Omagh and Ballyshannon (LOL)

Patty
Quinn of County Donegal
Teague family of Ireland
Roe family
Ussery family
Stockton family