Author Topic: Love Family, Northumberland & Suffolk  (Read 3737 times)

Offline Baz Love

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Love Family, Northumberland & Suffolk
« on: Saturday 01 December 12 00:03 GMT (UK) »
Hi, all!

As the title suggests, I'm a descendant of the Love Family from Northumberland (3 or 4 generations), but before that, apparently Lowestoft, Suffolk, and also Middlesex before that...but mysteriously, again before then, the line goes back up to Northumberland once more and eventually lands up beside the MacKinnon Clan, Isle of Skye...or so certain trains of research suggest!

Anyone know any differently, on the origins of my surname, please? Rumours abound that there were two origins - Anglo-Saxon Suffolk, and also the MacKinnons (a 'sept' division), both obviously several hundred years ago. I'd just like any pointers, so that I don't go too far astray, if possible, please?

Strangely enough, I was born in East London - and now live in Suffolk! I've been here 10yrs, but I had no idea of family connections until just a week ago - and odd, too, that my Grandfather's Grandfather and siblings should be born here...

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Love Family, Northumberland & Suffolk
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 01 December 12 10:03 GMT (UK) »
According to the "Oxford Names Companion" one of the derivations of Love is Irish, an erroneous translation of McKinnon.
McKinnon, Scots and Irish: Anglicized form of Gael Mac Fhionghuin, patr. from an old Gael. personal name meaning 'Fair Born' or 'Beloved Son'. The surname has also been erroneously translated LOVE, as if from Gael. Mac Ionmhuinn.

Stan
Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 01 December 12 10:15 GMT (UK) »
Another theory is that it could be a variant of LUFF.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 01 December 12 11:54 GMT (UK) »
According to the "Oxford Names Companion" Luff is a variant of Love.
They give two other definitions from the one I gave, which seemed to be the most relevant. These are:-
(1) English from ME given name, from the OE female personal name Lufu 'Love', or the masculine equivalent Lufa .
(2) English and Scots: nickname from Anglo-Norman French louve female wolf.

Stan

Offline stanmapstone

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile

Offline Baz Love

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Saturday 01 December 12 14:08 GMT (UK) »
Cheers, chaps! The odd fact is that there IS  a clan from Skye and the Western Highlands by the name of Love, who were reputed to be fierce allies of the Scottish MacKinnons & fought alongside them in various skirmishes; one source holds the Love clan as originally a "sept" of the MacKinnons, but I haven't the time right now to delve right back that far - maybe next year, once I get a book written (Grandfather's WW2 memoirs).

I do know that - in East Anglia - there are many Love family branches, and several of these can be traced back to Anglo-Saxon connections under variations like Lufe, Lufus and a couple of others, introduced from the continent, and evidently derived originally from terms of endearment.

The Northumberland family line - so family legend has it - was descended from the MacKinnons (or the  Clan alliance thereof), and I know of two Love family members in Norfolk and Suffolk respectively who told me that their own family lines came from great-great-grandparents (and above) who originated form the North East region of England, so - given that my own Grandad's Grandad was born in Lowestoft (as mentioned above) - it isn't too hard to reason that some of his siblings stayed in Suffolk & spread the good name about a  bit, while he & parents went "back" to Northumberland on a coal-barge (his Dad was a mariner, reputedly master of said vessel). Given those details, I'm reasonably confident that there'll be a family connection, somewhere up the "tree" (just hope it isn't chimpanzees! :D )...

Either way, I'm going to enjoy researching back when I have the spare time, and I thank you for your links and pointers. If anyone else can chip in, too, please feel free - the more, the merrier!

Offline Nick29

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 02 December 12 10:32 GMT (UK) »
One of my friends is a member of the LOVE family, but all his ancestors come from Hampshire  :)
RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Baz Love

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Thursday 06 December 12 22:26 GMT (UK) »
Had an interesting phone call from Charlie Haylock, a renowned Suffolk author & historian, currently doing a research stint on BBC Suffolk's Lesley Dolphin Afternoon Show on Thursdays - he's digging-out all sorts of surnames & origins, and is calling up folks who messaged him via the radio show, enquiring after their names, etc; last night was my turn! Felt really privileged to get his call, I can tell you...

Anyway, he's confirmed that 'Love' is originally (and principally) a derivative of the above-mentioned Louve (cheers, Stanmapstone!). According to "olde worlde" Suffolk records dating back centuries, Louve was first recorded in 1095 in Bury St Edmunds, thence spreading up Northwards and eventually to the Western Highlands - hence the alliance with the MacKinnon Clan (and marriages thereof) - and as I look after the lift in the B.St Eds records office, I guess I'll have to go digging in the files, eh? ;)

Thanks again, folks!

Offline Lisl

• RootsChat Pioneer
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 07 March 14 20:37 GMT (UK) »
Hello Baz,
       I think we may be from the same LOVE Family. My Grandfather LOVE came from Lowestoft. Earlier the LOVES were in Middlesex (like yours), and i have heard the story that we are related to the McKinnons. Lisl