Author Topic: 1841 look up help for St. Pancras, Middx  (Read 3708 times)

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
Re: 1841 look up help for St. Pancras, Middx
« Reply #18 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 21:35 GMT (UK) »
Aha..Thomas Gibson was widowed after the 1851 and remarried to Martha Slatter, the daughter of a Tailor, in 1858 at St Mary Lambeth. The marriage gives his father's name as Thomas Gibson (Deceased) Coach Lace Maker. Trade obviously goes well back in the family handed down from father to sons.
Bellenger, Sebire, Soubien, Mallandain, Molle, Baudoin - Normandy/London
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London
Mourgue, Chambon, Chabot - Languedoc/London

Holohan, Donnelly, McGowan/McGoan - Leitrim, Ireland/Dundee, Scotland/London.

Gordon, Troup, Grant, Watt, McInnes - Aberdeenshire, Scotland/London

Offline vapcq45

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #19 on: Tuesday 04 December 12 22:56 GMT (UK) »
Oh my goodness...what can I say, this is fantastic!  I can't thank you enough! 

I'm just about to start looking at the records. Yesterday in desperation I was googling coach lace maker and came across http://ivall.blogspot.co.uk/2012/05/david-ivall-1816-67-journeyman-coach.html which mentions Thomas Gibson...I had no idea there might actually be a connection.

Somers town, fits as well as in Frederick was living at Vittoria Place which is Somers Town at the time of marrige in 1860.

Very exciting - lots to take in and gettingstarted right now..

Thank you!

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #20 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 10:11 GMT (UK) »
Hi

That link certainly makes interesting reading. As well as that daughter, there is the marriage of a son to Thomas as well on Ancestry, Robert Thomas Gibson, a Carpet Weaver, son of Thomas Gibson, Coach Lace Weaver, married an Emma Brick St Pancras Oct 23 1843'

Thomas died in the Workhouse in 1885, so clearly there were no enduring riches from the coach lace business for him either. Incidently the surname 'Slatter' of his second wife, is also the surname of one of the witnesses of your Frederick Gibsons second marriage to Mary Jane, which seems to further confirm the close links.

Thomas gives St Giles in the Fields as his birth place and this is where John is living too in 1841. There is a Thomas and Ann Gibson baptising children in that parish, with a John that would fit

Robert Gibson    Baptism    8 Jun 1800    St Giles in The Fields, London    
Ann Gibson    Baptism    8 Nov 1801    St Giles in The Fields, London
John Gibson    Baptism    7 Aug 1803    St Giles in The Fields, London
Sarah Gibson    Baptism    24 Mar 1805    St Giles in The Fields, London    

Of course John claims to have been born in Surrey on the census, but possible he was perhaps born at his mothers parents home, and baptised back where the family lived. No baptism for Thomas that I can find there though, which might have helped proved that theory a little further.
Deverdun, Bachelier, Hannoteau, Martin, Ledoux, Dumoutier, Lespine, Montenont, Picard, Desmarets - Paris & Picardy/Amsterdam/London

Offline richarde1979

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #21 on: Wednesday 05 December 12 10:25 GMT (UK) »
Just realised the coverage of St Giles in the Fields registers on Ancestry only begins in 1800, so Thomas may well have been baptised there circa 1797.