Author Topic: Winton - Halifax NS  (Read 1018 times)

Offline RitaScotland

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Winton - Halifax NS
« on: Sunday 16 December 12 00:17 GMT (UK) »
This is a very long shot.  I am looking for a George Strachan Winton who, on the 1851 Census for Peterhead,Aberdeenshire in Scotland said that he was born in Halifax and was a British Citizen.  He gives a different place of birth on three separate census entries.  His age is also in question as he gives varying ages on the census, 1841 age 20, 1851 age 35, 1961 age 39 - on his death in 1866 he is listed as age 62 but parents listed as unknown.

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
Re: Winton - Halifax NS
« Reply #1 on: Monday 17 December 12 21:21 GMT (UK) »
Hi Rita. In 1851, his eldest child was 10 and his wife was somewhat younger than him and born in Scotland.

In 1841 (Ancestry calls him "Wenton") had seemed to be just married, with an infant son.

Have you checked for a marriage record at scotlandspeople.gov.uk? If he married in Scotland and knew his parents' details, they might be shown on that record.

If he was born in Halifax NS in the early 1800s, and then was back in Scotland, he was very probably the child of a man in the British miilitary.

There's a good chance that Strachan was his mother's surname. An English ancestor of mine popped up briefly in Scotland in the early 1800s and married, and his mother's surname is shown as his middle name, even though it wasn't part of his name and appears on no other record.

edit - the Strachan was certainly carried down -- son James's sons:

George Strachan Winton 1863
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XY1C-1DS
Robert Strachan Winton 1881
https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/XTXM-V8Q

... but I haven't found any trace of a Strachan-Winton marriage, or of George's own.

Records in Nova Scotia don't go back far enough:
https://novascotiagenealogy.com/
There is one record of a marriage bond pre-registration:
John Winton, grocer, to Mary Ann Walker, 1822.

Can I just check the ages you gave?
1841 - 21
1851 - 35
1861 - 39
1866 (death) - 62??
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 17 December 12 22:17 GMT (UK) »
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline JaneyCanuck

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • The Famous Five take tea on Parliament Hill
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 17 December 12 22:21 GMT (UK) »
Thanks, caught again.

Not only more details (meaning that I wasted my time doing the marriage search that had already been done ...) but conflicting details.

As far as I can see, George's place of birth in 1841 is foreign parts, not Ireland, unless the original says something different from the transcription.

In fact I was still poking around in NS records looking for anything possibly connected when the update was added here.

That's me off now.
HILL, HOARE, BOND, SIBLY, Cornwall (Devon); DENNIS, PAGE, WHITBREAD, Essex; BARNARD, CASTLE, PONTON, Wiltshire; SANKEY, HORNE, YOUNG, Kent; COWDELL, Bermondsey; COOPER, SMITH, FALLOWELL, WILLEY, Notts; CAMPION, CARTER, CRADDOCK, KENNY, Northants; LITTLER, CORNER, Leicestershire; RUSHLAND, Lincolnshire; MORRISON, Ireland; COLLINS, ?; ... MONCK?