Author Topic: Your New RootsChat is here  (Read 68396 times)

Offline Pels.

• Deceased † Rest In Peace
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Your New RootsChat is here
« Reply #450 on: Saturday 22 December 12 11:58 GMT (UK) »

I think we've sorted what my problem is, but it's not good for me.Hopefully this might help some of those people who are experiencing problems with the font appearing blurred and hurting their eyes.

Following advice from Tomkin, brevitas has the screen resolution on her monitor set at :

1680 x 1050 pixels with colour quality set at the highest.

In comparison mine is set :

1024 x 768 with colour quality - highest.

If I try and change mine to the optimum allowed on this monitor (1600 x 1200) the image I'm viewing is more or less identical to hers, which visually for RootsChat, is perfect. But, I can't see anything else and the top toolbar all but disappears.

I'm still on XP, if anyone else who is having problems :

Control panel

Appearance and Themes

Display

or

Right click on your desktop and select 'dispay properties' then 'settings'.

Unfortunately it's my problem and I can't do a thing about it without changing everything else to something which is impossible to view. I'd be curious to know whether the people who are having a nightmare with their eyes can alter their settings to the preferred resolution to see if works for them. Feeling a bit fed up about it to be honest, I can't buy a new monitor when I've got a perfectly good one here, especially when it's only this site which is affected. But eyes are so flippin' precious and I'm frightened to death I damage mine.

Pels.

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Berlin-Bob

• Caretaker
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #451 on: Saturday 22 December 12 12:04 GMT (UK) »
Are you using your browser in full screen modus ?
with a 1600 x 1200 monitor you could try reducing the size of the browser window

I have 1440 x 900 and I usually have 7 or 8 windows open, and I slide slide things around so I always see a part of the most important ones.  I find it easier to click directly on the window than to search for it below in the toolbar.

Bob
Any UK Census Data included in this post is Crown Copyright (see: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk)

Offline Ruskie

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #452 on: Saturday 22 December 12 12:23 GMT (UK) »
Um, something has happened since my last visit (last night Australian time). I'm sure I read about 28 pages of this thread and now it is back to 16.
Ruskie, there is a setting in your profile settings that changes the number of messages per page. The options are 5, 10, 25 or 50. I think 10 is the default (mine is set to 10 and I have 40-odd pages. The result of changing that would be a difference in the number of pages required for the entire thread. Could that be the reason?

Thank you very much Dale and Bob. Last night I fiddled round with my settings hence the weird number of pages I was seeing. I don't understand why or how it made a difference (and it doesn't matter) but I have now reset back to the default, and I can see all of the pages of this post -  :D

Offline Rena

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Crown Copyright: www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
« Reply #453 on: Saturday 22 December 12 12:57 GMT (UK) »
... I have read about 17 pages of this thread ...

A quick tip for all newcomers to this topic, and for "oldcomers" who want to re-read it ...

Click on the "print" button at the top or bottom right of the topic.  This won't actually print it but will display the whole topic on one page (in a printable format).  You won't see any images, but there aren't that many on this topic so that shouldn't be a problem.
http://www.rootschat.com/help/faqs.php#long_topics

regards,
Bob
Phew thanks - the notification emails haven't been able to keep up and it was taking an age to catch up.
Aberdeen: Findlay-Shirras,McCarthy: MidLothian: Mason,Telford,Darling,Cruikshanks,Bennett,Sime, Bell: Lanarks:Crum, Brown, MacKenzie,Cameron, Glen, Millar; Ross: Urray:Mackenzie:  Moray: Findlay; Marshall/Marischell: Perthshire: Brown Ferguson: Wales: McCarthy, Thomas: England: Almond, Askin, Dodson, Well(es). Harrison, Maw, McCarthy, Munford, Pye, Shearing, Smith, Smythe, Speight, Strike, Wallis/Wallace, Ward, Wells;Germany: Flamme,Ehlers, Bielstein, Germer, Mohlm, Reupke

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #454 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:00 GMT (UK) »
If you have a flat-screen monitor, it is fairly important that you set your graphics settings to match the capabilities of your monitor.  It won't damage the monitor if you don't, but if you use the wrong setting, images can appear stretched, and the quality of text on the screen won't appear as clear as it could be. 

What you need to do is to find the manual for your monitor (or Google the make/model) and find the native resolution of the screen.  This is the actual number of pixels on the screen horizontally x vertically.  If you have a 1920 x 1080 screen and you supply it with 1280 x 1024 graphics, the screen will have to continually 're-map' the pixels, and the aspect ratio won't be right, so pictures will appear distorted.  When you set the graphics output to match the native resolution of the monitor, then all the pixel information will go to the intended screen pixels, and it will look as good as it possibly can be.

Sometimes you will have to hunt for the native resolution of a flat screen, but it will be there somewhere.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Native_resolution

P.S. When the computer monitor is exactly matched by the video output settings, it is said to be 'Pixel Perfect' - i.e. each pixel on the screen is exactly showing the intended pixel.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline julianb

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Portrait of the genealogist as a young man
    • View Profile
« Reply #455 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:04 GMT (UK) »

A quick tip for all newcomers to this topic, and for "oldcomers" who want to re-read it ...

Click on the "print" button at the top or bottom right of the topic.  This won't actually print it but will display the whole topic on one page (in a printable format).  You won't see any images, but there aren't that many on this topic so that shouldn't be a problem.

regards,
Bob
Phew thanks - the notification emails haven't been able to keep up and it was taking an age to catch up.

Excellent to know that.  Is this Print button a new feature, or have I been asleep for seven years?

JULIAN
ESSEX  Carter, Enever, Jeffrey, Mason, Middleditch, Pond, Poole, Rose, Sorrell, Staines, Stephens, Surry, Theobald HUNTS  Danns KENT  Luetchford, Wood NOTTINGHAMSHIRE  Baker, Dunks, Kemp, Price, Priestley, Swain, Woodward SUFFOLK  Rose SURREY  Bedel, Bransden, Bysh, Coleman, Gibbs, Quinton SUSSEX Gibbs, Langridge, Pilbeam, Spencer WILTSHIRE  Brice, Rumble

Offline Nick29

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #456 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:08 GMT (UK) »

regards,
Bob

Excellent to know that.  Is this Print button a new feature, or have I been asleep for seven years?

JULIAN

I'm pretty sure it's always been there.

You can also try scrolling to the very bottom of the screen and click on WAP2 and see what you get then  8)

That's a version for mobiles with no graphics capabilities.

RIP 1949-10th January 2013

Best Wishes,  Nick.

Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline LizzieW

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • I'm nearer to finding out who you are thanks DNA
    • View Profile
« Reply #457 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:10 GMT (UK) »
Yes, print has always been there.  It's very useful if you've asked for info on a person or family and get lots of responses.  You can look at them all in print much more easily and even print all the replies if you really want to or what I do is Copy and Paste everything to a Word document and delete any duplicate or unnecessary info and then work through what is left.

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #458 on: Saturday 22 December 12 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Trystan - thanks for changing the borders such that they now blend in better with the actual messageboard. I've seen some of the other "tweaks" and appreciate the continued effort involved. I hope there will be more when you've had chance to take a break, recover & review the general concerns. If we weren't bothered about RootsChat we wouldn't be here to express the concerns, so thanks for creating it in the first place!