Author Topic: John Cripps (Crips/Crippes) Bampton  (Read 5676 times)

Offline lindz

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
John Cripps (Crips/Crippes) Bampton
« on: Friday 28 December 12 07:47 GMT (UK) »
Hi
Could anyone help me establish the baptism and lineage and marriage of William Cripps who married Jane Pinder in Bampton, Oxfordshire around 1717. There are numerous William Cripps' around that date and area so I'm not sure who is mine. William and Jane's son, John, who was baptised C1717 is my Gt Gt Gt Gt Grandfather. Any help would be greatly appreciated as I've been trying to solve this for some time now.

Cheers
Lindsay

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
Re: John Cripps (Crips/Crippes) Bampton
« Reply #1 on: Friday 28 December 12 08:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay

There is nothing that accuratley fits your search but I have found this which may help?

William Crips married at Bampton to Joan Trinder on 22 July 1716  :-\
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline lindz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Friday 28 December 12 08:43 GMT (UK) »
Thank you so much for that entry. It could well be the right one and I'll try to follow it up. Have to say Pinder and Trinder are pretty close. Thank you again.

Cheers
Lindsay

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Saturday 29 December 12 15:40 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay

I thought I would have a bit of a look at this for you today,  I see from your previous posts that you are descended from Edmond Cripps born about 1798 in Lew and after the bits I found today I wondered if you had considered that his grandfather might be John Cripps baptised in 1716 in Buckland,  just over the boarder in Berkshire,  the son of Edmond & Margaret (nee Bennet) Cripps?  there are a few clues that make me think it might be so - rather than the one born in Bampton.  Have you looked at this?

:)

DebbieG
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline lindz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Sunday 30 December 12 00:10 GMT (UK) »
Hi DebbieG
No, I hadn't seen that entry before. I've always thought that John Cripps who married Sarah Sambidge in 1762 was the most likely candidate. He was baptised in 1717 and was from Lew as was my Edmond. Would there be anything that makes the John from Buckland a likelier candidate? There were certainly a lot of Cripps' around the Bampton area and that really complicates things; especially since they share common Christian names and were baptised often around the same dates. Your suggestion has really set me thinking so and I appreciate your help.

Cheers
Lindsay

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Sunday 30 December 12 11:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lindsay

I don't know which bits you have already so I am going to try and put what I found yesterday in a logical order,  it might be a bit long winded - please bear with me. :)

I have copies of the register transcripts for Bampton (OFHS) and at the period we are looking at they are quite good at distiguishing which families came from which hamlet that makes up the parish of Bampton.  I found the baptisms of James (1796) Edmond (1798) and George Jones (1803)  all children of John & Mary Cripps of Lew,  there are some earlier baptisms of children of John & Mary of Aston but I think this is a different couple.  I found Mary still alive in the 1851 census living in Aston with son George Jones Cripps  she was born abt 1767 in Langford.

Marriage from Langford 28th Dec 1795 John Cripps wid (x) to Mary Jones (sp) witnessed by  James Jones & Edmund Cripps

In the Bampton registers a marriage  1786 15th Sept
John Cripps of Lew to Elizabeth Johnson of Bladon
witnessed Soloman Clarke & Edmond Cripps

Baptisms for 3 children of John & Elizabeth Cripps of Lew Susanna 1789, Martha in 1791 & John 1793

Burials in 1794 Elizabeth Cripps of Lew age 26 and Susanna Crips of Lew age 5.

There are several trees online for this family but most seem to have mixed them up.

I looked to find Johns burial - Mary seems to be a widow in 1841 as well,  the most likely one was in 1837 for a John Crpps of Aston aged 83 - that would give a year of birth of abt 1754 however I couldn't see a baptism for a John Crip(p)s in the baptism registers of Bampton at that sort of time.

TBC
Pay(n)ton, Payton, Pe(a)rton all Oxfordshire and Berkshire - particularly Abingdon

Offline NDRFT

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.natio
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Sunday 30 December 12 12:08 GMT (UK) »
Hi Debbie

Thats a nice piece of work separating the 2 families - well done you and happy new year

Nigel
Robinson - Oxfordshire
Stratford - Gloucestershire,
Waters - Northamptonshire,
Moss - Oxfordshire,
Bint - Berkshire,
Collins / Collings - Buckinghamshire,
Salmon - Warwickshire and Northamptonshire
Stranks - Northamptonshire,
Bull - Oxfordshire /Buckinghamshire,

Offline DebbieG

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 30 December 12 12:31 GMT (UK) »
I next checked the Oxford will index,  sadly nothing for John Cripps 1837,  but there was an entry for a John Crips yeoman of Lew died 1785 and from a booklet I have listing of persons named in wills (Eureka partnership)  I found that John d1785 mentioned a wife Sarah and sons John & Edmond (an Edmond Cripps was witness at both of John's marriages),  there is no Edmond baptised to a John in Bampton at the right sort of time period,  I found the Alverscot family of John & Sarah (nee Sambidge) that you mentioned,  but they didn't have an Edmond either, or a John,  this is born out by notes from the 1774 will of Sarah Sambidg of Alvescot in which she mentions her daughter Sarah wife of John Crips and Grandaughters Ann, Betty & Mary Crips but no grandsons.

Another slightly strange thing was although there is the 1785 will for John Cripps of Lew mentioned and a 1801 will for a Sarah Cripps widow of Lew  I couldn't find burials for either of these people in the Bampton transcripts.

Hunting around I came up with a baptism at Buckland (just over the boarder into Berkshire)  1751 Edmond son of John & Sarah Cripps.

further back a marriage 1743 Buckland
John Cripps to Sarah Allen

Other baptisms of children of John & Sarah (all Buckland)
Ann 1744
Betty 1746
Sarah 1749
Edmund (as above) 1751
John 1754
James 1757

The baptism of John in 1754 fits well with the 1837 burial in Aston of John aged 83 which I mentioned before,  but what was really great was a burial in 1785 (Sep 4) of John Cripps of Lew Oxf. aged 69 and one 1801 Sarah Cripps of Filkins Oxf. aged 88.

If John was 69 at his death in 1785 it ties in well with a baptism in Buckland 1716 of John son of Edmund & Margaret Cripps.

:)

DebbieG

Offline lindz

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 30 December 12 14:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello Debbie.
Well, I'm very confused at the moment. I see your point and I'll need to go back over everything I have and check it out again. What you say seems to add up and I feel numb at the moment  :-\
I am very thankful for your help and now I'm going to drag out all my old records and try to make them fit, but your revelations have certainly got me questioning what I've always assumed. I'm so pleased I posted on here otherwise I'd be none the wiser. Thanks Debbie.

Regards
Lindsay