Author Topic: Any useful Herefordshire databases ?  (Read 7784 times)

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Any useful Herefordshire databases ?
« on: Thursday 03 January 13 13:13 GMT (UK) »
I have spent most of my time over the past few months researching in Cornwall and have been thoroughly spoiled by their amazing databases :D ...however am not getting far with my Herefordshire research as I can't find a decent online database.

Ancestry :( is useless for Herefordshire, FindMyPast  >:( seems to be equally as useless. Can anyone point me in the direction of an effective online research base for the various life stages of a Herefordshire inhabitant?

Much appreciated!

Offline Spidermonkey

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • https://www.apigintime.net/blog
    • View Profile
Re: Useful Herefordshire databases.
« Reply #1 on: Friday 04 January 13 15:34 GMT (UK) »
familysearch has a decent smattering of Herefordshire parish records, but there isn't really an online resource for Herefordshire.

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
Re: Any useful Herefordshire databases ?
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 02:28 GMT (UK) »
Thanks for your response spidermonkey....even though it doesn't bring me good news... ;)

Why are some counties so tardy in getting their act together? I guess volunteers are essentially needed to spearhead the transcription process. I certainly have been spoiled in Cornwall though and it's easy to assume that they are all as efficient.

Thanks anyway...now I know what I had been beginning to suspect...or perhaps not....

Offline fastfusion

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 12:02 GMT (UK) »
I have spent most of my time over the past few months researching in Cornwall and have been thoroughly spoiled by their amazing databases :D ...however am not getting far with my Herefordshire research as I can't find a decent online database.

Ancestry :( is useless for Herefordshire, FindMyPast  >:( seems to be equally as useless. Can anyone point me in the direction of an effective online research base for the various life stages of a Herefordshire inhabitant?

Much appreciated!

Hi Earlsdau
Sadly, I don't bring good news.  I too have been trying to progress some research in Herefordshire and there really isn't alot online.  Try googling Hereford Library- (the Family History or Local Studies section) this at least tells you what is around.  I cannot find an online index for Herefordshire Archives either though TNA you can find Herefordshire records using this:
http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk/A2A/results.aspx?tab=2&Page=1&ContainAllWords=Herefordshire

FindMyPast are getting more parish records online but currently don't appear to have any for Herefordshire. I don't know how active the Herefordshire Family History Society is either.  I tried looking for a little booklet or something from their bookshop but again, nothing.

Where/what are you looking for?  I may have come across something in my 'travels' across the internet.  I have found that maps have been the useful resource for me to date.

PS You might like this website - I thought it was great - http://www.ewyaslacy.org.uk/

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 12:59 GMT (UK) »
Thanks dreamin!

My two principle areas of research in Herefordshire at this stage have been around Brampton Abbotts and Hampton Bishop.

It certainly is quite frustrating when one wants to access and view original documents (I'd even be content with transcripts  :)) but cannot access local libraries/historical societies due to geographical constraints. I need to compile a list of library 'must do-s' for when I visit Herefordshire sometime later this year.

Online access has certainly brought genealogical research out of the dark ages so to speak... ;)

Again thank you for those links.

Offline california dreamin

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
Hi

No problem.  Haven't come across anything for Hampton Bishop or Brampton Abbots.  Will keep my eyes open for you. 

Good Luck.

Offline Nick B

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 16 January 13 21:48 GMT (UK) »
two sites I've found invaluable:

Steve Kelsey's Wills of Herefordshire database:
http://willsdb.gukutils.org.uk/HEF/index.html

and the Herefordshire Sites and Monuments Records Database via:
www.herefordshire.gov.uk

Good luck and have fun!
One-name study of the Gallett family

Census Information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Earlsdau

• RootsChat Member
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Thursday 17 January 13 07:12 GMT (UK) »
Nick B much appreciated!

I have spent just a few moments today, as able, looking at the Wills of Herefordshire site you posted. So far have found quite a few references to a family name.....and I am only up to the 1680’s. Very good.

Just wanted to thank you as I had not connected to that site at all before.