Author Topic: Church Burial at St Peters & St Saviour Pietermaritzburg  (Read 8742 times)

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Church Burial at St Peters & St Saviour Pietermaritzburg
« on: Saturday 05 January 13 10:54 GMT (UK) »
I have managed to find a church burial for John Godfrey Havard on 1/5/1917 at St Peter& St Saviour, my question  is where would he have been buried, I do not have a clue, also please does anyone know if there was a notice in any newspaper at the time.

Many thanks

Offline Nookie

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
Re: Church Burial at St Peters & St Saviour Pietermaritzburg
« Reply #1 on: Saturday 05 January 13 11:29 GMT (UK) »
I have been unable to trace a tombstone for John Havard.  However St. Savior Pietermaritzburg was deconsecrated in 1976, and no mention was made of a cemetery there, so perhaps he was buried at St Peters.

Good luck
Fulton-Ireland
Barber
Woods

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Saturday 05 January 13 12:07 GMT (UK) »
Nookie, Many thanks for the information.

Joan

Offline pampoen

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Sunday 06 January 13 23:34 GMT (UK) »
Hi I tried searching on Google and came up with this. Pietermaritzburg's historic central cemetery was sited, as was the norm in Voortrekker dorps, on the edge of the original street layout. The subsequent British takeover of the dorp resulted in the construction of numerous churches, but rather than each having its own adjacent churchyard, one cemetery was used, in 1859 Commercial Road Cemetery was divided into seven denominational compartments straddling Commercial Road.

The Commercial Road Cemetery was in regular use then during the period 1840-1920. This is most likely where he is buried. Having driven past this cemetery in 2011 it has fallen into an appalling state as the city council was bankrupt due to corruption and has spent no money fixing fences etc. As a result vagrants have invaded the cemetery and nobody dares enter the grounds for fear of being robbed. If you go to this link http://www.eggsa.org/library/main.php?g2_itemId=972573 you will see pictures of what the cemetery now looks like. To read the article it can be found next to the pictures of the cemetery neglect.

I found this. Havard, John Godfrey, Age 40 years,  Died 30 April 1917, Grave Number: 2800, Map: 6, Plot: 20, Section: HH, Section In Cemetery: Anglican Section, Tombstone: Yes, Notes: Second son of Reverend J.D. Havard of Helsby, Cheshire. Source: Commercial Road Cemetery, Pietermaritzburg. Acknowledgements: The Natal Inland Family History Society.

Regards Derek
Austin, Ayling, Alborough, Bescoby, Cheal, Groom,Rathbone,Tarboton,Lyell and Smith.

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 13 08:41 GMT (UK) »
Hi Derek,

Thanks that's so much information, I have only just found  his family in England,  much more than I expected to hear.

Thanks again Joan

Offline margaretmanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Thursday 21 March 13 19:53 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
I am going to Pietermaritzburg in May this year, if you send me all the details of the grave I will try and locate it for you in the old cemetery or Voortrekker cemetery.  I have to go there to look for one of my ancestors.  It is very badly over run by plants and you don't dare go there without a man present.

St Saviour's was knocked down in the 70's, part of which were taken and re-built in a chapel in England somewhere and the rest I think was taken to somewhere in the Cape Province.  St Peter's is still standing, (I was Christened there) it is now no longer used as a church but as a small museum, it is now part of The Cathedral of the Holy Nativity.  St Saviour's was the break away church after a clash with Bishop Grey who remained at St Peter's.  In the 70's I remember being part of a march from St Saviour's (which I went to) to St Peter's when the two joined together again.  My mum still goes to the Cathedral, and I may be able to get into the offices and find some records for you. 

There was never any graves/cemetery at either St Saviour's or St Peter's churches.  People were buried in the Voortrekker cemetery and then when that became to full a new cemetery was opened called Mountain Rise Cemetery, which when it opened was just on the outskirts of the city but now is within the city area.  Sadly no one goes there unless they really have to, and then you don't even stop or get out of your car.

Let know if you know where your relative lived, I might be able to find the house, many old houses still remain in Pietermaritzburg.

Hope you are still reading this site.
You can contact me directly via email on:
Hope I can help you.
Regards
Margaret

Moderator Comment: Personal details removed in accordance with RootsChat policy,
to avoid spamming and other abuses.
Please use the Personal Message (PM) system for exchanging personal data.

The Rootschat personal message system will be automatically activated
when a member has made two or three posts on the boards.
See Help-Page: http://www.rootschat.com/help/pms.php

Offline ugo

• RootsChat Senior
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Friday 22 March 13 08:35 GMT (UK) »
Hi Margaret,

Than very kind of you, please do not go to any extra trouble for my behalf, I know how time passes when you are doing this sort of thing.  I will send you a pm, when you have more post.

regards Joan

Offline 3sillydogs

• RootsChat Aristocrat
  • Durban South Africa
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Friday 22 March 13 11:11 GMT (UK) »

Hi

Have sent you a pm with info from our archives.  Don't know if it is your JG Havard, but you never know
Paylet, Pallatt, Morris (Russia, UK) Burke, Hillery, Page, Rumsey, Stevens, Tyne/Thynne(UK)  Landman, van Rooyen, Tyne, Stevens, Rumsey, Visagie, Nell (South Africa)

Offline margaretmanning

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Friday 22 March 13 13:38 GMT (UK) »
Hi Joan,

It is no problem, I have to go to the Voortrekker cemetery to look for my ancestor, so looking for another one at the same time will be no trouble at all.

I am going to spend some time at the Cathedral as I want to take photos in St Peter's, so can always send those to you when I get back.   I am spending two weeks in Pietermaritzburg.

Not quite sure how to work PM!  Will have to look and see what I make of it.

Regards
Margaret