Author Topic: what exactly did a wood turner or turner do?  (Read 8766 times)

Offline jc26red

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Census information Crown Copyright.
    • View Profile
Re: what exactly did a wood turner or turner do?
« Reply #27 on: Monday 07 January 13 19:22 GMT (UK) »
Just seen a bodger at work on this evenings episode of The Great British Railways. BBC2. I'm sure it will be on iplayer tomorrow if anyone wants to see one at work...
Please acknowledge when a restorer works on your photos, it can take hours for them to work their magic

Please scan at 300dpi minimum to help save the restorers eyesight.

Offline bandick

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Re: what exactly did a wood turner or turner do?
« Reply #28 on: Monday 14 January 13 06:34 GMT (UK) »
I was surprised to learn from my mother when I eventually met her, that one of my uncles was a bodger making spindles for chairs…

Anyone looking at the Cutty Sark or HMS Victory or anyone of the numerous old square rigger ships can’t help to notice the vast number of ropes and pulleys, called blocks.
The Royal Navy used large numbers of blocks, which were all hand-made by contractors. Their quality was not consistent, the supply problematic and they were expensive. A typical ship of the line needed about 1000 blocks of different sizes, and in the course of the year the Navy required over 100,000.

One of the first steps in the industrial revolution was the building of the Portsmouth Block Mills
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Portsmouth_Block_Mills  this could also account for the decline of the wood turner and or bodger.