Author Topic: Help if Possible Please.  (Read 1999 times)

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Help if Possible Please.
« on: Sunday 06 January 13 10:57 GMT (UK) »
 Midlands England. I have been told that there was a lot of Irish that lived in the Midlands of England.
I am looking for a Thomas Loftus in 1901 he was 12 years old. Born in Mayo Ireland.
 From around 1920 to the mid 1930's he lived in the Irish Midlands.he came back to Ireland in the mid 1930's Thomas did marry I don't know if he married Ireland or England. His wife came from Co,Offaly
they had five children,Maura,Eveleen,Phlyis,Ita, and Brud.I think some of the children could have been born in England but I do not know for sure.
                                            Lep.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Help if Possible Please.
« Reply #1 on: Sunday 06 January 13 11:51 GMT (UK) »
There are several 12 year old boys named Thomas Loftus in 1901 census- please post a link to the correct one so that we can see available information.

Both the Irish and English 1911 census is online and it's likely that Thomas will be in one of them. Have you searched them yet? Irish one is free but Rootschat policy doesn't allow us to do searches on the English one.

Do you have the wife's name? FreeBMD should have the marriage or births if any of the events took place in England: http://www.freebmd.org.uk/cgi/search.pl
The online Irish civil registration index goes up to 1958 so you should be able to find any of the ecents that took place in Ireland there: www.familysearch.org

You've listed the children (please remember not to post details of anyone who might still be living) but Phlysis is more likely to be Phyllis and 'Brud' possible a nickname for 'brother' and not a proper name.

"From around 1920 to the mid 1930's he lived in the Irish Midlands.he came back to Ireland in the mid 1930's" possibly should be lived in the English Midlands?
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 13 15:47 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey.
     I have found out Thomas died in 1958 age 71 Years so making him born in  1887.[ Died in Mayo]
His wife's name was Philomena reputed to have been married in Co,Meath in 1923.
   So I would deem that they went to the Irish Midlands after the marriage.
 The Irish census I know where he lived who the father and siblings were.I am more interested in where he lived in  England or who he lived with.Maybe there is some kind  of Electors List.[ I don't Know ]. for I doubt he would be in a census in England.
               Thank you for your input. and all are R.I.P.   Lep.

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 13 19:18 GMT (UK) »
The reason I asked for link to earlier census was to try and find the Thomas Loftus you are searching for.

Offline dawnsh

• Global Moderator
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 20:42 GMT (UK) »
Hi Lep

Electoral registers do exist but very few are available online.

The main stumbling block to using them is that they are compiled by parliamentary constituency, then ward, then street address. They are not compiled by name unless in a very small village setting. 

So they will be unusable if you don't have an address to start with.

Dawn
Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Sherry-Paddington & Marylebone,
Longhurst-Ealing & Capel, Abinger, Ewhurst & Ockley,
Chandler-Chelsea

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 11:19 GMT (UK) »
I can find no marriage in Ireland, England or Wales for a Thomas Loftus to a Philomena in 1920s. Neither can I find birth registrations for any of the daughters in those places. Of course, it's possible that different first names were used in the registrations.

I'm still confused about where and when Thomas was at different locations.

"From around 1920 to the mid 1930's he lived in the Irish Midlands.he came back to Ireland in the mid 1930's"
"reputed to have been married in Co,Meath in 1923. So I would deem that they went to the Irish Midlands after the marriage."

The think this should possibly read went to the English Midlands after the marriage?

I have found out Thomas died in 1958 age 71 Years so making him born in  1887.[ Died in Mayo]
Death registration gives age as 72:
Thomas Loftus, age 72, July/Sept.1958, Ballina registration district, volume 4 page 5.

Offline carol8353

• RootsChat Marquessate
  • Me,mum and dad and both gran's c 1955
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Hello aghadowey.
His wife's name was Philomena reputed to have been married in Co,Meath in 1923.

So if they married in Co Meath in 1923 they probably had their children there too.

As you say there were lots of Irish people over here at the turn of the century,pinpointing someone with a fairly common name is going to be difficult,if he came over on his own?

Carol
Census information is Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 13:32 GMT (UK) »
One of the many problems here is that I can't find the marriage in or around 1923 in Ireland, England or Wales. I get the feeling the initial information is by word of mouth and it's not uncommon for people to get confused when trying to remember older relatives.

Offline leprechaun

• RootsChat Veteran
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Wednesday 09 January 13 14:03 GMT (UK) »
Hello Carol and aghadowey.
    Thomas Loftus was born in Bonniconlon. Died in Bonniconlon. According to the MNFHRC he was the son of Thomas Loftus and Mary nee Egan.born in 1886. He married Philomena Robbins,Co,Meath on the 29th of August 1923.Unfortunately no marriage record was located for Thomas Loftus and Mary Egan.so their origins cannot be confirmed.In 1901 Thomas was living with his Widowed father and siblings.
   Now by word and mouth I was told Thomas and Mary Egan Married 31st.03.1870
                                    Thank you both for your interest. Cheers Lep