Author Topic: MBE Citations  (Read 8763 times)

Offline Precious Ramotswe

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
MBE Citations
« on: Monday 07 January 13 13:48 GMT (UK) »
Could any of you clever folk out there help me find out where citations for MBEs are kept, please?

Offline casalguidi

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: MBE Citations
« Reply #1 on: Monday 07 January 13 13:52 GMT (UK) »
Have you found their entry in the London Gazette (or the Edinburgh or Belfast editions as appropriate)?
http://www.london-gazette.co.uk/

Casalguidi :)
Census information is Crown Copyright http://www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline KGarrad

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Monday 07 January 13 13:53 GMT (UK) »
Probably the London Gazette?
But be aware that publication of honours & awards was usually a few days before the award date!

When was this MBE awarded?
Was it military or civil?

And, to whom was it awarded?
Garrad (Suffolk, Essex, Somerset), Crocker (Somerset), Vanstone (Devon, Jersey), Sims (Wiltshire), Bridger (Kent)

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Monday 07 January 13 13:55 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there was a recent thread that explained about these, including the lack of citation information, beyond the general:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,628857.msg4769703.html#msg4769703

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Monday 07 January 13 14:09 GMT (UK) »
Hi, there was a recent thread that explained about these, including the lack of citation information, beyond the general:
http://www.rootschat.com/forum/index.php/topic,628857.msg4769703.html#msg4769703

My father was awarded an MBE in the New Years Honours of 1985.

In the list printed in the newspapers it simply said 'For services to ........'.

I have just unearthed the letter he received from the Prime Minister's Office and no reason whatsoever for the award is mentioned! It simply states that the Prime Minister 'has it in mind' to submit his name to The Queen etc., etc.
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline Precious Ramotswe

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Monday 07 January 13 14:15 GMT (UK) »
Thank you everyone for your speedy replies. The gentleman in question was George Henry Bishop Heppel who served as a Coastguard at Berwick upon Tweed and rescued survivors of the ship RASK which sank 31 January 1950.

I have found his mention in the London Gazette -- thank you. I suppose I was hoping for some sort of report, but it sounds from your replies, that even the recipient didn't get much more information than I already have!

Offline JenB

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Monday 07 January 13 14:20 GMT (UK) »
Obviously a full report of the reasons for the award would have been sent to the Prime Minister's office from whoever nominated him in the first place.

Probably this is filed away somewhere, but very unlikely ever to have been published.

There were several local newspaper reports of my father's award, but none of them contained any specific citation other than the official ' for services to .......'

It didn't seem to matter at the time - we all knew why he got the award  (and I was there to see him get it  ;D )
All Census Look Ups Are Crown Copyright from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk

Offline mshrmh

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Monday 07 January 13 15:35 GMT (UK) »
Precious - I believe there are citations for certain "bravery" types of award - there used to be framed version of that for a local VC in the library - how far down that applies or whether it also applies to civilian bravery I don't know. Someone will probably know if the MBE would include acts of bravery - my feeling is that the award may have been more for a period of outstanding service rather than an individual act of bravery, but I'd be happy to be corrected!

JenB - that's a great family memory, thanks for sharing it.

Offline crimea1854

• RootsChat Aristocrat
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Monday 07 January 13 16:28 GMT (UK) »
Not an answer to your original question, but just in case you are not aware of it there is a navy service record available for him on the NA website:

http://discovery.nationalarchives.gov.uk/SearchUI/details/D7428057?descriptiontype=Full&ref=ADM+188/426/63

This will detail his service up to 1920. In addition I note that he was awarded the 14-15 Star, Victory and British War Medals for his WW1 service, these being sent to HMS Tiger, and on 3 April 1925 he was awarded the RN Long Service Good Conduct Medal.

Martin