Author Topic: Waugh Family Ratoran Eniskillen  (Read 5785 times)

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
  • Census information Crown Copyright, from www.nationalarchives.gov.uk
    • View Profile
Waugh Family Ratoran Eniskillen
« on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:09 GMT (UK) »
Looking for the family of William Waugh and Ann Armstrong.  The two children that I know of are William b 1810 and Francis b 1814, in Ratoran.  William (my gg grandfather) went to Australia and Francis to Canada.  Wondering if there were more children?

Thank you,

Trying
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
Re: Waugh Family Ratoran Eniskillen
« Reply #1 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:14 GMT (UK) »
Possible connection mentioned on this site- William Waugh born c1834 son of William Waugh & Jane Lindsay with siblings mentioned:
http://www.wikitree.com/wiki/Waugh-204

If not your details then someone else searching for same family:
http://www.familytreecircles.com/waughs-of-ratoran-county-fermanagh-northen-ireland-10381.html
Away sorting out DNA matches... I may be gone for some time many years!

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #2 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:24 GMT (UK) »
Thank you for your quick replies.  They are my family but we all seem to be in the same boat - don't know if there were more children apart from William and Francis.

Thank you,

Trying
Adds (Surrey,Australia) Absalom (NBL England) Barrass (NBL, DUR, Australia) Frazer/Waugh (FERM Ireland, Australia) Johnston (CUMBRIA England, Australia) Blundell (Kent, Australia) Rattenbury (DEV England, Australia) Vallance (PAISLEY Scotland, Australia) Williams /Oats(ST JUST IN PENWITH Cornwall England, Australia)

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #3 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:26 GMT (UK) »
What religion were the family? quite early for church records but always worth checking to see if baptisms for the family survive.

Offline CJB123

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #4 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 11:28 GMT (UK) »
They were Methodists out here, would that be the Church of Ireland?

Trying

Offline kingskerswell

• RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #5 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 12:30 GMT (UK) »
Hi,
    I don't know if this is relevant but there was a Baptism of Thomas Henry Waugh on 26 Oct 1826 in Enniskillen Methodist Church. His parents were Rev. Henry Waugh and his wife, Sarah.

Regards
Stewart, Irwin, Morrison, Haslett, Murrell - Dungiven area Co. Londonderry
Browne, Barrett -Co.Armagh
Neil, Smyth _Co. Antrim

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #6 on: Tuesday 08 January 13 12:35 GMT (UK) »
Lots of Methodists in Fermanagh. Church of Ireland equivilant to Church of England or Anglican.

Offline mikewau

• RootsChat Extra
    • View Profile
« Reply #7 on: Sunday 27 January 13 09:51 GMT (UK) »
According to Land records William Waugh born 1790 was the only Waugh living in the Tempo area in this timeline. A professional researcher identified an Elizabeth Waugh born 1813 in Enniskillen Registration district. She married  9 Apr 1845 in Fermanagh. Also a possible brother named Robert born in Enniskellen in this timeline. William Waugh born 1810 was a Presbyterian( C of I).
Both Elizabeth and Robert were Presbyterians, the reason being Civil Registration for Catholics started 1864, 1845 for Presbyterians, Elizabeth married 1845.
Marriage records for Francis and birth records for Mary waugh daughter of William Waugh
are recorded in the C of I Church records in Magheracross( near Tempo)
I have been unable to find further information but this may give you some leads

Offline aghadowey

• RootsChat Honorary
  • RootsChat Marquessate
    • View Profile
« Reply #8 on: Sunday 27 January 13 10:06 GMT (UK) »
Wekcome to Rootschat but a few corrections to your post-

A professional researcher identified an Elizabeth Waugh born 1813 in Enniskillen Registration district. She married  9 Apr 1845 in Fermanagh.
The marriage took place in 1846 not 1845- https://familysearch.org/pal:/MM9.1.1/FGNC-ZY9
Irish marriage certificate do have a space for father's name and occupation but sometimes in early certificates the information was omitted but certainly worth checking the actual certificate,

William Waugh born 1810 was a Presbyterian( C of I).
Presbyterian and Church of Ireland are two distinct denominations.

Both Elizabeth and Robert were Presbyterians, the reason being Civil Registration for Catholics started 1864, 1845 for Presbyterians, Elizabeth married 1845.
Civil registration of non-Catholic marriages started in 1845 which includes Registry Office marriages. Marriages usually take place in the bride's church but certain religions were not fully authorised to perform marriages at this time, so couple would marry in Registry Office and then often attend their minister for another ceremony.